Building a new HTPC/Media Server but current 10-yr-old HTPC has a 9500GT that carries sound over both DVI outputs

20ReliableLights

I have a server/htpc in my basement that I built 10 years ago and it feeds 2 separate TV's in my house via a ~25' DVI to HDMI cable and another ~20' DVI adapter to HDMI to HDMI cable. I've just had Windows 7 set to duplicate the display so both TV's get the same content which has worked fine since I'm the only one who watches either of those TV's.

Audio has always worked on both TV's via the DVI>HDMI / DVI>HDMI>HDMI cables. I thought nothing of it until a couple months ago when I was helping someone else do something similar at their house. It was a much newer system and the GFX card was a GTX 960 (I think). We used the HDMI output for one TV and the DVI output to an HDMI adapter for the other TV. Only one of them could play sound.

I'm thinking the limitation on that newer system compared to my old one is that my old GFX card (9500 GT) had a SPDIF in connection that I connected to the motherboard:

2soRLm4.jpg

wRoRD8w.jpg

Is anything like that available in recent graphic cards? I was planning to use a GTX 1060 in the new build but I'm worried it won't be able to carry audio to both TV's.

Thanks for any input!

Keep in mind the different kinds of DVI cables. There's DVI D, DVI I, single link, and dual link. Did you keep this in mind when helping your friend?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Keep in mind the different kinds of DVI cables. There's DVI D, DVI I, single link, and dual link. Did you keep this in mind when helping your friend?

Not exactly but we did get a displayport to HDMI adapter and hooked up the other TV that way so the DVI output wasn't used at all.

I know eventually we could get audio to either TV by changing the settings in the Windows Sound Control Panel but ONLY one TV at a time. It never output sound to both TV's simultaneously like my current setup does.

Just now, Neftex said:

i think the problem might be selected audio device in windows

Maybe that is why. Is it something that has changed in Windows 10? I have WIndows 7 on my current HTPC so maybe it didn't have that restriction.

37 minutes ago, 20ReliableLights said:

Maybe that is why. Is it something that has changed in Windows 10? I have WIndows 7 on my current HTPC so maybe it didn't have that restriction.

idk if anything changed there, but there is a difference that your old system used 2 DVI outputs while your friends is 1 DVI and 1 HDMI?

so if there is a separate audio device for HDMI and DVI it wont work at the same time

you might be able to fix that using virtual audio device, but im not sure

(maybe this can help https://appuals.com/output-audio-multiple-devices-windows-10/ )

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB