Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WiFi struggles

Wireless WiFi, router 10ft below my computer, router giving off 61-ish MBP/S downstairs but my computer is receiving around 5?

Recently bought a new WiFi card, the Archer T6E, can't reach an ethernet up here and theres nowhere for the router to go up here so what can I do? I was thinking of buying an Amplifi but i'm really lost and was wondering if there was a more cost-effective solution to my troubles.

Which band are you attempting to connect on, the 2.4Ghz, or the 5Ghz? Higher frequencies will have less penetration through solid objects. With that said, if the distance is really so short as 10ft, I would be surprised that it'd be having issues. Before buying a relay, I'd see if you can't upgrade those stock antenna. You can get some decent antenna for pretty cheap.

Attempted both, neither of them are really strong, and by antenna do you mean the ones on my computer or router?

7 minutes ago, JammyFizzle said:

Attempted both, neither of them are really strong, and by antenna do you mean the ones on my computer or router?

Either or would work, honestly. If your router has removable antenna, I'd probably do that one first, as it's going to probably help the most for full house coverage for all devices. 

Have you done a scan to check for other local signals that may be conflicting on similar channels? A lower channel can help range, but they're usually the default for that reason. Automatic does work for some routers, but I've found it can result in intermittent disconnection and a weak connection on others.

Vertical coverage is weak on omni style antennas.  

Try staggering your router and PC or run a cable through the wall if possible.  Powerline or MOCA are also options although performance is generally limited (I get ~85 mbit across our house through a couple of breakers with a 1200 Trendnet Powerline kit).

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

1 hour ago, JammyFizzle said:

Wireless WiFi, router 10ft below my computer, router giving off 61-ish MBP/S downstairs but my computer is receiving around 5?

Recently bought a new WiFi card, the Archer T6E, can't reach an ethernet up here and theres nowhere for the router to go up here so what can I do? I was thinking of buying an Amplifi but i'm really lost and was wondering if there was a more cost-effective solution to my troubles.

If your router has movable antenna you can try angling them and do the same to your PC antenna. That might work a bit better. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.