Why laptop manufacturers dont use smartphone camras?

NaorG

Why laptop manufacturers  dont use smartphone camras?
why are mach better quality... 

Annotation 2018-12-06 165826.jpg

A decent laptop already costs 500+, and that's just for a normal office work use. Flagship smartphones are costing up to 800-1100 now and a big part of it is due to the camera tech included. So unless you want to pay a grand for a sub-par laptop with a 12mp camera...be my guest

I agree with @firelighter487 they do it to cut cost  just like  the speakers on a modern TV  its dosent  add enough profit to justify the additional cost. Also they assume that if you want better video quality you will buy a better dedicated camera or just use your smart phone. 

For budget tier laptops, the cost argument makes sense. But premium or gaming laptop should have the option for camera tech from a phone. We're talking the front facing camera here, not the rear. The cost for a part like that, in a more expensive overall machine, should not be significant. 

The way I see it, the real reason is a combination of % of users that would appretiate it(relatively small), and the fact that they can extort more out of those users by making them buy the peripheral seperately. Companies sell webcams standalone that can go over a hundred Rupees*, but probably wouldn't be leaps and bounds over the one above the screen on your phone if it's a current model. It sounds a bit 'conspiracy theory' I know, but if a company that makes phones AND laptops like say, Samsung, were to make a business laptop with a decent webcam, it would be a lead selling point I'm sure. That's a scenario where a good webcam option would sway buyers.

My 2+ year old phone has a front facing camera miles better than 95% of laptop webcams. It's not simply cost of parts that's stopping them. The problem here like I say, is the number of people that would actually make use of such a camera.

But then...if your laptop had a better camera, would you use it more?? Interesting thoughts.

*replace rupees with your chosen currency. Unless you actually use Rupees. Then don't. Oh remember exchange rates they're important. Actually you can see my point without any of this crap. Stop reading. lalalala.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Camera's on laptops were most likely to facilitate video calling. You don't really need anything better than HD or FHD for that.

Besides that, the chassis on laptops don't lend itself very well to allowing higher grade optics, making using better sensors kind of moot.

@ELSknutson first

lets talk about the tv thing what you sad 
TV manufacturers cant make better quality speekers if the tv consumers request thin televisions
like LG SIGNATURE OLED TV that linus as in the offece with the external speakers... its an expensive tv!!! and the speekers are outside because you cant have it all.

@DVA second  the image that i uploaded is a consumer price (37$ for iphone 8 camera) so you can imagine  that for ASUS/Apple or whatever company will be ways cheaper!

@Ross Siggers agree! 

@ELSknutson 

again its aesthetics compromis 

and if you will remove the tin foil hat you will look pass this argument XD 

so what is your point??

Annotation 2018-12-06 172350.jpg

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Besides that, the chassis on laptops don't lend itself very well to allowing higher grade optics, making using better sensors kind of moot.

I don't know about that.

Modern laptop lids can be thinner than phones, sure, but that's because they don't have to fight other components for space like a phone does. Multiple cameras back to back? An earpiece speaker? Maybe even a circuit board...If you can fit multiple lenses into a notch on a phone, you'll have no issues with a laptop bezel.

1 minute ago, NaorG said:

@ELSknutson 

so what is your point??

I'm protected 'cause I made this hat...from aluminium FOOOIILLLLLLLLL

4 minutes ago, NaorG said:

And that's a rear camera, so a front facing one will probably be cheaper...and if you're making a bulk stock order, even cheaper still...

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

15 minutes ago, NaorG said:

@ELSknutson 

so what is your point??

If it was just an aesthetic compromise then they would include High end soundbars or speakers with tv just like the LG tv you mentioned but TVs dont. Why because the return on investment is not worth the extra hassle. The LG TV you noted runs from $2000.00  $10,000 USD  so with those prices they can eat the cost of the sound bar. And Im not disagreeing with you that the form factor is not part of the issue but regardless of how thin the TV is you need sound.  As far as the camera  adding an additional camera that cost  $20.00 vs. one that cost $5.00 for us is very little but to a major manufacture that cost  Is millions of dollars all for a thing that most people either dont use or cover up with tape. that additional money would be better used adding to things that most consumers look at like Ram, Graphics, or Storage.  What would you rater have  a 1000.00 laptop with a decent camera  or a 1000.00 with a larger SSD  

dell ships somewhere around 10 million laptops a year  and if you add a .25 cent increase to something that most people dont care about that and aditional cost to the company of 2.5 million dollars. 

1 minute ago, ELSknutson said:

dell ships somewhere around 10 million laptops a year  and if you add a .25 cent increase to something that most people dont care about that and aditional cost to the company of 2.5 million dollars. 

1,0*10^7*$2,5*10^-3=$2,5*10^4=$25k

With $0,25, yes, that would be $2,5 million. 

:)

Among the things I do with a brand new laptop for myself is delete all camera drivers and software so it's unusable, enough of that whole spying on others deal while yeah I have never had use for it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

38$ for a camera is very expensive.

Webcam are not valued by most consumers. They just need something for Skype or whatever, that is all.

And most reviewers don't care. They'll mark it as a downside if you don't put it, so that means lower score, and so they put the cheapest thing that they can get away with.

I recall Dell even sold business class where the webcam is optional extra.

Take this way: Motherboard manufacture on the PC custom builder space don't bother putting a 5$ sound chip. They opt for 0.50$ to 2$ solutions. Why?

• Reviewers don't care
  • Consumers don't care nor see value in.  Which motherboard has RGB and which one is the cheapest for the CPU/GPU they want to put it (and has the connection they need, like NVMe, # of SATA ports, etc).

The same principal can be applied to everything.

• Case USB ports from connection, to attention to detail... you have little to none even on premium cases
  • Laptop speakers, beside Apple, PC manufactures don't really care. They might market it on gaming PCs, or rent the name of a company like HP likes to do, but it is still garbage.. maybe a tad better than the normal garbage.
  • Shitty LCD panels in laptops (although that is disappearing, helped with the continuous lowering cost of entry level IPS panels)

and more.

@ELSknutson

today you can chose what (the prices just for visual)

CPU to get with your laptop

•  i5  
  • i7 +200$
  • Ryzen 7 +150$

or how match ram you get

• 8G
  • 16G +25$
  • 32G +50$

and how mach storege

• 500G SSD WITH 1T HDD +200$
  • 250G SSD WITH 1T HDD +100$
  • 128G SSD WITH 1T HDD

Why not a camera option?

@Princess Cadence what if you had an option to not include a camera and maic?  

@GoodBytes

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Among the things I do with a brand new laptop for myself is delete all camera drivers and software so it's unusable, enough of that whole spying on others deal while yeah I have never had use for it.

But it is fine on your phone.

And the most important part.. the microphone you ignore.

A webcam is a checkbox, 95% of people aren't comparing webcam quality when shopping laptops. So why not cheap out?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

But it is fine on your phone.

And the most important part.. the microphone you ignore.

I use the microphone though and it might surprise to you I barely if at all talk, at least in front of my device.

Might be surprise you even more but I literally only use my cellphone at service, never at home since I have the habit of favoring my PC/Laptop for every thing my phone does.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, NaorG said:

@ELSknutson

today you can chose what (the prices just for visual)

CPU to get with your laptop

•  i5  
  • i7 +200$
  • Ryzen 7 +150$

or how match ram you get

• 8G
  • 16G +25$
  • 32G +50$

and how mach storege

• 500G SSD WITH 1T HDD +200$
  • 250G SSD WITH 1T HDD +100$
  • 128G SSD WITH 1T HDD

Why not a camera option?

Because most cameras are molded into the bezel of the screen and  to change it would require several different bezel configurations also ssd, and ram are hot swap able and are usualy easy to change. Also the CPU ram and storage are the main selling point of the laptop. 

5 minutes ago, NaorG said:

@Princess Cadence what if you had an option to not include a camera and maic?  

Since I have no use for those (I have a great headset for mic) and I literally never used any camera in any laptop ever, yes I wouldn't mind buying a model that didn't feature those to save a buck.

Personal Desktop":