Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

new ryzen 5 2600 slow than expected

zepnam
 Share

hi.

 

i recently upgraded from a ryzen 3 1200 to a ryzen 5 2600. now i find the new system very slow so i checked cinebench r15 and got a score of ~960. due to cinebench website a ryzen 5 2600 should reach ~1300. https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-scores-updated/

 

is there something wrong with my settings? i didn´t change something except off turning on the xmp profile for ram. would a ram upgrade to 3000 MHz change much?

 

if i run cpuz and cinebench i see just 2800 MHz at 0.856 V

 

My system: MSI b350m pro-vhd (flashed for Ryzen 2xxx), 16GB crucial ballistix 2400, GTX1060 6GB, SSD with win 10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's your memory setting? can you show us your CPU-z tabs?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

isn´t the base clock speed of a ryzen 3.4GHz? Mine runs a 2.8GHz on factory settings. is there any possibility to reset the cpu?

 

@Shimejii i know every cpu is a little different, but the score of mine is so far from expected. i think the numbers on sites like https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-amd_ryzen_5_2600-873 aren´t on 4.2 GHz

 

thanks in advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Galion said:

Look at the ram

what should i see there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, zepnam said:

what should i see there?

the ram needs to be 3200 minimum imho, otherwise it'll feel like an 8 year old pc

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, xg32 said:

the ram needs to be 3200 minimum imho, otherwise it'll feel like an 8 year old pc

so if I put in i.e. viper patriot 3200MHz CL 16 it should boost cinebenchs score to like ~1300?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

around there i'd guess, keep in mind that scores posted online are often inflated.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

ì still thinks it´s a cpu issue. my cpu runs only at 2800MHz and minimum clock speed shoul be 3400 MHz. thats how it´s advertised

 

but I´ll give it a try. brb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, zepnam said:

ì still thinks it´s a cpu issue. my cpu runs only at 2800MHz and minimum clock speed shoul be 3400 MHz. thats how it´s advertised

 

but I´ll give it a try. brb

yeah i am pretty sure it is your ram

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

so changed ram. but doesn´t get much better. cinebench scores 952

 

image.png.c8a0dabe9fd7f05831a57f41dc47927f.pngimage.png.cc5f73bd6c86405c6a33771479fd769a.pngimage.png.a8f9217f4adac98eb408eb42dfc6b124.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

strange thing is, in bios the cpu is shown with 3.4 GHz. But in cpu-z it shows only 2.8 GHz with multiplier 28. and this doesn´t change while running any software (cinebench, games, 3dmark, and so on)

 

somewhere in booting I loose 0.6 GHz

 

image.png.eea972ea1216ac11e0b347c60122a0a1.pngimage.png.fbe54d9ebae79d9311ef39d92656bafd.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like a problem with the cpu, if it isn't using its turbo speeds then you might have a problem with the bios or the cpu itself. Try setting defaults in the bios and then putting the xmp profile back on for your memory.

8086k Winner BABY!!

My tech stuff

 

Main rig

Cpu: R5 1600AF 3.95ghz 1.32v (literally the worst bin I've ever seen)

Mobo: MSI b450 A-Pro MAX

Ram: 16gb Team Group T-Force Xtreem 3600 cl18 (3466 14-14-14-14-28) kinda tuned subs

Gpu: MSI 1080 ti Duke OC

PSU: Bitfenix Formula Gold 650w

SSD: 512gb Inland premium nvme

HDD: 2tb Seagate Barracuda Compute

 

Samsung Galaxy S9 | SD845 | Adreno 640

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

had reseted bios and turned on xmp. in bios everything looks ok. but in cpu-z still 28xmultiplier and so only 2800MHz. is there any windows 10 "feature" that could cause this?

 

3299019830859499505%253Faccount_id%253D2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible OP got a really shitty cpu from the Lottery?

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

it has to be a very shitty one. it is worst than a R5 1600 due to cpu-z bench

 

image.png.7215ff62b750a9d5dba50c39ba84fc9b.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, zepnam said:

it has to be a very shitty one. it is worst than a R5 1600 due to cpu-z bench

 

image.png.7215ff62b750a9d5dba50c39ba84fc9b.png

You know what the silicon lottery is? Sounds like thats what it is to me since you already ruled out ram

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mxk. said:

You know what the silicon lottery is? Sounds like thats what it is to me since you already ruled out ram

until now i thought that means you can have bad luck and the processor is not as good to overclock as others. but so far i thought at least the base clock and the boost clock are guaranteed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zepnam said:

had reseted bios and turned on xmp. in bios everything looks ok. but in cpu-z still 28xmultiplier and so only 2800MHz. is there any windows 10 "feature" that could cause this?

 

3299019830859499505%253Faccount_id%253D2


Had a similar issue with my MSI board, just disable the XMP completely, and also the "cpu overclock" which looks like a red ball for me called "GAME BOOST"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, zepnam said:

until now i thought that means you can have bad luck and the processor is not as good to overclock as others. but so far i thought at least the base clock and the boost clock are guaranteed.

They are. With the exception of the boost clock being advertised for single-threaded workloads. The more threads you load, the lower the boost will be.

In your case I suspect there's something strange with the power management. The CPU is running at lower voltage than it should, as expected with such a low clock speed. Have you enabled the high performance mode in Windows?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3800MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Lukyp said:


Had a similar issue with my MSI board, just disable the XMP completely, and also the "cpu overclock" which looks like a red ball for me called "GAME BOOST"

if i turn off xmp my ram runs at 2133 MHz. therefor i could stick to my old 2400 MHz ram and don´t had to buy the 3200MHz ram and i didn´t find an "game boost" option. the "OC genie" which adds 450MHz wasn´t turned on

 

funny thing. if I set the multiplier by hand to 34 it works and cpu-z shows this. but with auto settings the cpu runs only on 28 even under full load. and it seems the turbo doesn´t turn on ether

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, zepnam said:

if i turn off xmp my ram runs at 2133 MHz. therefor i could stick to my old 2400 MHz ram and don´t had to buy the 3200MHz ram and i didn´t find an "game boost" option. the "OC genie" which adds 450MHz wasn´t turned on

 

funny thing. if I set the multiplier by hand to 34 it works and cpu-z shows this. but with auto settings the cpu runs only on 28 even under full load. and it seems the turbo doesn´t turn on ether

You can overclock it form the OC menu, just choose the clock you want in "DRAM frequency"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Lukyp said:

You can overclock it form the OC menu, just choose the clock you want in "DRAM frequency"

i know. but i don´t want to overclock. i want the cpu to run on default settings.

4 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

They are. With the exception of the boost clock being advertised for single-threaded workloads. The more threads you load, the lower the boost will be.

In your case I suspect there's something strange with the power management. The CPU is running at lower voltage than it should, as expected with such a low clock speed. Have you enabled the high performance mode in Windows?

it´s turned on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×