Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

x470 motherboard for OC's?

mxk
 Share

I'm planning to do a 9600k build, but with AMD releasing new stuff next year, I would rather be get an x470 motherboard and a 2700x (or non x) and be able to upgrade to a new zen 2 cpu in the future. Since I've been looking more into Intel based products, thats what I know more about, so I don't know much about AMD motherboards and which to buy.

 

What's a good x470 motherboard for oc'ing around $180 or less?

 

(I'm pairing my 1070Ti with the 2700x btw)

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

i'd say taichi but those are 210 atm, they were 180 for bf, i just troubleshoot like 3 different builds of my friends' online, not a single board was able to hit ddr3600 it's insane, none of them had the taichi though.

 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157836

 

this one hit 3200 no problem.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought the ASUS X470 Strix. Should be here Friday, I've been using the Gigabyte Gaming 5 in the meantime and would not recommend it for overclock. MSI doesn't have offset voltage either. So Asus really looks like the best option. If you can't get the Strix, I would get the Prime Pro, Strix is a little better for overclock, though so you should try to swing that. I also plan to upgrade to next gen.

 

I just posted a thread similar to this:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1003698-which-higher-end-x470-should-i-choose/

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, xg32 said:

i'd say taichi but those are 210 atm, they were 180 for bf, i just troubleshoot like 3 different builds of my friends' online, not a single board was able to hit ddr3600 it's insane, none of them had the taichi though.

The taichi does look good, but yeah, you're right about the price. What do you think about the strix x470-f?

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mxk. said:

.

looks decent enough but i don't think it's worth 200usd, and i haven't used it, i'd just find a kit of ram then make sure it's on the QVL of a board that you like. 3/3 on memory problems on the build, they were all fixed eventually but it's not plug and play like intel.

 

honestly if you are willing to pay 200 for the f i'd recommend 10usd more for the taichi.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tomswife said:

I just bought the ASUS X470 Strix. Should be here Friday, I've been using the Gigabyte Gaming 5 in the meantime and would not recommend it for overclock. MSI doesn't have offset voltage either. So Asus really looks like the best option. If you can't get the Strix, I would get the Prime Pro, Strix is a little better for overclock, though so you should try to swing that. I also plan to upgrade to next gen.

 

I just posted a thread similar to this:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1003698-which-higher-end-x470-should-i-choose/

I've been reading through it. @Jurrunio made some pretty good points comparing getting z370 a bit back, then having z390 released and having that feel of better motherboards (like getting x470 now then seeing x570 in the future).

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, xg32 said:

looks decent enough but i don't think it's worth 200usd, and i haven't used it, i'd just find a kit of ram then make sure it's on the QVL of a board that you like. 3/3 on memory problems on the build, they were all fixed eventually but it's not plug and play like intel.

this gives me this feeling that I might actually be better off just doing intel now. I'm 15 atm and turning 16 next year, and if I have a job then it shouldn't be hard to get a hold of a 9900k which could be paired with a good gigabyte aorus z390 mobo that I would get now with a 9600k.

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, mxk. said:

I've been reading through it. @Jurrunio made some pretty good points comparing getting z370 a bit back, then having z390 released and having that feel of better motherboards (like getting x470 now then seeing x570 in the future).

And I totally agree with them. My thought, though, was that I don't want to settle now and if I can't afford to upgrade both later, then I probably shouldn't be upgrading, lol. Chances are, the Strix will be fine. I also tried the B450 Strix before the Gaming 5 (yes, I bought 3 motherboards), which was awesome, so I know the X470 version will be even better! Asus also has some of the best software to use like fan control, one click overclock, etc... Gigabyte definitely fucked up with their AMD boards. I also considered the Intel way because I wanted the Gigabyte Designare, fuck their Intel boards are beautiful! 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, tomswife said:

And I totally agree with them. My thought, though, was that I don't want to settle now and if I can't afford to upgrade both later, then I probably shouldn't be upgrading, lol. Chances are, the Strix will be fine. I also tried the B450 Strix before the Gaming 5 (yes, I bought 3 motherboards), which was awesome, so I know the X470 version will be even better! Asus also has some of the best software to use like fan control, one click overclock, etc... Gigabyte definitely fucked up with their AMD boards. I also considered the Intel way because I wanted the Gigabyte Designare, fuck their Intel boards are beautiful! 

The editing I do, and the time I have as a teenager won't matter for how long a render on a video will take to be honest. I think an oc'd 9600k will be fine for some lighter video editing of gameplay. I'm happy that gigabyte did good with z390

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mxk. said:

this gives me this feeling that I might actually be better off just doing intel now. I'm 15 atm and turning 16 next year, and if I have a job then it shouldn't be hard to get a hold of a 9900k which could be paired with a good gigabyte aorus z390 mobo that I would get now with a 9600k.

That's exactly what I was going to do. After thinking long and hard, I think the next upgrade with AMD will be such a better overall deal, so went with them instead. Doubt you would notice a performance difference anyway. In using a 2600x and 3333c14 memory and it's the quickest computer I've ever used. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mxk. said:

The editing I do, and the time I have as a teenager won't matter for how long a render on a video will take to be honest. I think an oc'd 9600k will be fine for some lighter video editing of gameplay. I'm happy that gigabyte did good with z390

Pretty sure the more cores you get with AMD, for less money BTW, is the better way to go for editing work.. 

 

 

Edit: I might be wrong, I don't do much editing. 

Edited by tomswife

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tomswife said:

Pretty sure the more cores you get with AMD, for less money BTW, is the better way to go for editing work.. 

Ehhh I think honestly, even a 9600k is a little much for the gaming and work I do. I just want it to last me a while because being in high school doesn't allow for frequent upgrades, especially when I need to save for post-high school education.

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

Ehhh I think honestly, even a 9600k is a little much for the gaming and work I do. I just want it to last me a while because being in high school doesn't allow for frequent upgrades, especially when I need to save for post-high school education.

If your worried about money, and also thinking about upgrades, I'm not sure why your set on Intel. The 2600x is cheaper, can do more and is extremely responsive when paired with fast ram. I wanted the fastest system too, I considered Intel, but by going AMD, I got a better gpu then I would have with Intel. After trying Ryzen, I can't ever see myself using Intel again, unless they do something about their pricing, even then, I doubt I would care as long as AMD stays competitive. I'm so glad that I went Ryzen. 

 

I'm not a hardcore gamer, though, so I don't need the maybe 5 fps gain for several hundred dollars more that it costs to use Intel. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tomswife said:

If your worried about money, and also thinking about upgrades, I'm not sure why your set on Intel. The 2600x is cheaper, can do more and is extremely responsive when paired with fast ram. I wanted the fastest system too, I considered Intel, but by going AMD, I got a better gpu then I would have with Intel. After trying Ryzen, I can't ever see myself using Intel again, unless they do something about their pricing, even then, I doubt I would care as long as AMD stays competitive. I'm so glad that I went Ryzen. 

 

I'm not a hardcore gamer, though, so I don't need the maybe 5 fps gain for several hundred dollars more that it costs to use Intel. 

Most of my stuff has been on sale so far. Got my 1070Ti for $380 so that saved a ton of money. I'm still considering going Ryzen, but it'll all depend on the Christmas sales that are coming up. I would rather have a 2700x over the 9600k but it's more expensive to do a 2700x+fast ram+good motherboard. It all sounds really weird, I know, but it kinda makes sense in my head because it mostly boils down to pricing.

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Most of my stuff has been on sale so far. Got my 1070Ti for $380 so that saved a ton of money. I'm still considering going Ryzen, but it'll all depend on the Christmas sales that are coming up. I would rather have a 2700x over the 9600k but it's more expensive to do a 2700x+fast ram+good motherboard. It all sounds really weird, I know, but it kinda makes sense in my head because it mostly boils down to pricing.

I get it, I just did the same thing. I researched the last few months and just bit the bullet and bought everything on black Friday (only saved maybe 100 bucks). I wanted the 2700x too, but then I figured the 2600x really will do everything I need, so I got that and just plan to upgrade to next gen this coming year. If your worried about speed, and want to upgrade like me, 2600x+3200c14 memory is pretty darn good for the price. Pair both of those with the X470 Strix and your 1070 ti (I have Vega 56) and you have a nice, fast build. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, tomswife said:

I get it, I just did the same thing. I researched the last few months and just bit the bullet and bought everything on black Friday (only saved maybe 100 bucks). I wanted the 2700x too, but then I figured the 2600x really will do everything I need, so I got that and just plan to upgrade to next gen this coming year. If your worried about speed, and want to upgrade like me, 2600x+3200c14 memory is pretty darn good for the price. Pair both of those with the X470 Strix and your 1070 ti (I have Vega 56) and you have a nice, fast build. 

I'll make an alternative list and look at the pricing for it. I did the same thing with the 2700x. I still have about 2ish weeks to decide so I'll think about it pretty hard.

8086k

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×