New PC / Upgrade | Your Thoughts

Optane^

Hi all, going to be upgrading my machine and was just wanting some options. Gonna wait for the 9700K to drop in price but other than that I like it.

I think that 9700K will help with the streaming I do want to do in the future.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($409.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($124.31 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($169.89 @ B&H) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($159.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($117.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case 
Total: $981.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-05 15:45 EST-0500

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Get the 8700k, its cheaper and has hyperthreading.

Otherwise the upgrade looks fine. What do you have for storage in your pc right now?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

2 hours ago, Slottr said:

Get the 8700k, its cheaper and has hyperthreading.

Otherwise the upgrade looks fine. What do you have for storage in your pc right now?

I like the 2 extra cores though, doesn't matter?

250GB SDD & a 2TB Hitachi storage drive.

PC - i7 12700K | EVGA FTW3 3090 | Corsair H150i | ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A | 32GB Corsair Vengance | Lian Li O11 Evo & EVGA 1k PSU

-

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

39 minutes ago, Optane^ said:

I like the 2 extra cores though, doesn't matter?

250GB SDD & a 2TB Hitachi storage drive.

What's the pc for? 

With that storage I wouldnt bother getting an NVME drive unless you're moving big files around- but if you are, go for it

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

21 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What's the pc for? 

With that storage I wouldnt bother getting an NVME drive unless you're moving big files around- but if you are, go for it

Gaming / Streaming. I just want a bigger drive to store frequent games but you're probably night, NVME probably isn't worth it for my case.

-

1 minute ago, Optane^ said:

Gaming / Streaming. I just want a bigger drive to store frequent games but you're probably night, NVME probably isn't worth it for my case.

If you're streaming I'd say to look at AMD's 2700/x - it's much more economical than the 9700k, and the sacrifice is minimal.

If you want the best for streaming, look at the 9900k but its about 2.5x the price of the 2700 for about a 15% increase in performance. 

For your storage solution though, look at a sata ssd, they're a little cheaper and you won't notice a performance difference at all