EVGA z370 + i7-9700k - No Booting, going crazy

So I am doing a massive system update from an ancient (7 year old) AMD to the i7-9700. I ran all the parts through multiple compatibility checkers, talked to friends who have more building experience than me, and everything seemed to work. 

So, I built the system up, went with two 16gb sticks of 3200 mghz vengeance pro ram (slots 2 and 4 on the mobo). Got all the wires correct, and on 1st power up, i get system lights, and fans, but NO video, I have an m.2 installed that's totally blank, and unplugged all the other drives. on the error screen i see a few numbers flash, but it stays on code 18...i looked in the manual, but have NO idea what 18 means. 

Can anyone please help me, this is driving me insane. the only things I had plugged in were literally my gpu, two ram sticks and m.2 (and front io, and that sort of minimal stuff)

Mobo: z370 Classified K

CPU: i7-9700k
Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 mhz

M.2: Corsair 960gb 300 series

CPU cooler: H100i extreme

If you solve my issue I will literally send you 10$ over pp for saving my sanity.

mobo.jpg

used ddu yet? also, does your intergrated graphics work? try booting without gpu first.

edit: and don't forget about the cmos of course

Edited by LukeSavenije

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

used ddu yet? also, does your intergrated graphics work? try booting without gpu first.

edit: and don't forget about the cmos of course

what ddu? and I didn't try booting without the gpu (honestly forgot it had an on board HDMI), but a few hours before building it, I was using the GPU on my previous build and it worked fine. 

also, what cmos? 

I bet the Z370 motherboard doesn't have an updated BIOS for the 9000 series Intel chips yet. Any computer shops that would lend a CPU for you to update it by chance? Or maybe Intel started doing a boot kit like AMD and they'll send you a Celeron or something

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

I bet the Z370 motherboard doesn't have an updated BIOS for the 9000 series Intel chips yet. Any computer shops that would lend a CPU for you to update it by chance? Or maybe Intel started doing a boot kit like AMD and they'll send you a Celeron or something

My girlfriend lives with me and her computer is up and running. I did download all the latest bios and drivers onto a usb before the build, how would I go about updating the mobo? 

ddu=display drive installer: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html (you can uninstall unneeded drivers with it, sometimes drivers interfear with each other)

cmos=memory from the mobo (kinda, not the exact defenition) by clearing it general problems can be solved.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

1 minute ago, Tibon said:

Ok, it might be the bios is out of date and not support that cpu yet. Any bios update for your mobo?

Just now, APasz said:

Don't most z370 mobos need a bios update to work with 9th gen?

do they need a bios for that? well, that's new to me

So im not alone in thinking this is about bios. 

At worst case scenario, you could either use a newer chipset mobo, or use 8th gen intel.

but to start, try onboard first, then we might see if there are any other problems, then the cmos, then ddu. and then go worrying about bios updates

2 minutes ago, EthanWater said:

My girlfriend lives with me and her computer is up and running. I did download all the latest bios and drivers onto a usb before the build, how would I go about updating the mobo? 

What CPU does your gf have? You need an 8th gen CPU to update the BIOS, because you need a compatible CPU to access the BIOS.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

just looked it up....yea, it doesn't say anything about 9th gen on the mobo's page. FUCK! alright team....how the hell do I update bios on it? 

What CPU does your gf have? You need an 8th gen CPU to update the BIOS, because you need a compatible CPU to access the BIOS.

her computer is old sadly. so that's not going to be an option. Guess I have to take it into a shop...

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

So that would require me to swap the CPU on my board for an older one so I could boot it and update bios? 

1 minute ago, EthanWater said:

So that would require me to swap the CPU on my board for an older one so I could boot it and update bios? 

well, to update it on a evga board as far as I know yes. but have you tried those other things first before you're going to do that? it would mean a lot less hassle.

Yes. AMD offers a neat little boot kit in which they send you a $40 CPU that's compatible to update BIOS, but Intel doesn't seem to offer that, so unless you wanna buy yourself some extra silicon, a shop seems the only path (or a friend who wants to lend you one)

Primary PC:

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

well, to update it on a evga board as far as I know yes. but have you tried those other things first before you're going to do that? it would mean a lot less hassle.

I'm at work right now, so I'll have to try tonight, but I assume that it's going to be the issue.

Yes. AMD offers a neat little boot kit in which they send you a $40 CPU that's compatible to update BIOS, but Intel doesn't seem to offer that, so unless you wanna buy yourself some extra silicon, a shop seems the only path (or a friend who wants to lend you one)

I might have a friend who can lend me one. basically all I need to do is put an 8th gen one in there, and then what? 

Yes, or at least try and ask evga if the can update the bios for you if you ship it to them. Not everyone have an 8th gen intel cpu lying around.

Just now, Tibon said:

Yes, or at least try and ask evga if the can update the bios for you if you ship it to them. Not everyone have an 8th gen intel cpu lying around.

ugh, damn that sounds like a long process, but I might have to reach out them. 

I might have a friend who can lend me one. basically all I need to do is put an 8th gen one in there, and then what? 

update the bios to the newest version (1.09 I thought?)

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

update the bios to the newest version (1.09 I thought?)

yea, never updated a bios before, so I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

2 minutes ago, EthanWater said:

You get the BIOS on a USB stick, and then use EVGA's BIOS utilities to update. I can't recall off the top of my head what it's called, but you'll look for something involving the word "flash" in the BIOS. Google can help you find it.

Primary PC: