SSHD, HDD, Secondary Drive ,Games, Wattanty?

Sorry for the CAPS

Anyway, I have a Seagate 1TB SSHD in my laptop as secondary drive, it had been quite old and I noticed crystal disk mark reported it had read error, so time for a replacement.

The seconday drive contains system page file, user files, softwares (PS, CAD, matlab), games and tons of junk some family photos movies and *advertiser unfriendly content*. And it will continue being so after the  upgrade. ( My primary is a 500GB Samsung 850)

Now I am quite unsure which one should I get a new Firecuda or a Barracuda. Each have their pros and cons.

Firecuda:

Pros: Maybe faster software loading and file opening times, if I am on a project or playing a certain game very often. 5 year warranty (maybe better binned parts? The 5400RPM may also be the reason it have a longer warrenty)

Cons: Almost twice as expensive at where I am (492 vs 879).

Barracuda:

Pros: CHEAP

Cons: 2 year warrenty... and portentially dragging down the Samsung... and 7200RPM may cutting short the life expectancy.

I would definitely get the Barracuda. The lifetime should be very similar and from what I've quickly read online the firecuda doesn't give much of a performance benefit.

WHy is the page file on your hdd?

Id just get a ssd, you can get 1tb ones for about 120 now, seems like a batter idea for not much more.

Otherwise just get the cheap barracuda.

35 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

WHy is the page file on your hdd?

Id just get a ssd, you can get 1tb ones for about 120 now, seems like a batter idea for not much more.

Otherwise just get the cheap barracuda.

I already have a 500GB Samsung SSD. And 1TB HD cost about 200USD here.

The page file is on the SSHD obviously to save the number of writes on the ssd, no matter how little it is.

42 minutes ago, crashahotrod said:

I would definitely get the Barracuda. The lifetime should be very similar and from what I've quickly read online the firecuda doesn't give much of a performance benefit.

I expected so, and with price difference that big. The cheaper option sounds more compiling than ever.

10 minutes ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

The page file is on the SSHD obviously to save the number of writes on the ssd, no matter how little it is.

You want your page file on your ssd, the speed difference is huge if its used.

Don't worry about the writes on the ssd, your won't get near the limit of the flash.