Website hosting platform for front end project.

mrchow19910319

Where do I host a simple website that is similar  to this one? 

There is only HTML CSS as well as a javascript file. 

There is no back end. 

It just utilizes youtube's API and that's all.

I want this project to be lasting for a long time. 

So my question is :

Do I go for digital ocean? Or a VPS server? Or?? Does it matter since my site only contains a front end, there's no database etc.. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

you don't need backend to use youtube API, a simple javascript will do.

All it does is grabbing the channel / list of videos and displaying the content automatically.

The drawback is it will make a lot more requests than if you cache the request to a database.

For the hosting you can use any hosting, as simple as possible, even without backend support.

Use VPS or dedicated server if your userbase or daily access are in millions.
Don't think too much, use a simple webserver for start, then upscale it when you need it.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

you don't need backend to use youtube API, a simple javascript will do.

All it does is grabbing the channel / list of videos and displaying the content automatically.

The drawback is it will make a lot more requests than if you cache the request to a database.

For the hosting you can use any hosting, as simple as possible, even without backend support.

Use VPS or dedicated server if your userbase or daily access are in millions.
Don't think too much, use a simple webserver for start, then upscale it when you need it.

okay. I am trying to keep the cost to minimum, a few more questions though...

what about github pages? 

one git hub account can only have one github pages is it? 

or for every repository on github you gonna have a github pages that you can use.

what? github?

please study about their platform first, it's not a hosting platform.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

18 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

what? github?

please study about their platform first, it's not a hosting platform.

nah, github pages, not git hub.

https://pages.github.com/

also what kind of server I can FTP into? 

yes that might do.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

yes that might do.

i see. thanks

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

For static pages GitHub is a good option, Google Sites might work also.

thanks I will use github pages I think.

I can highly recommend DigitalOcean, as I use it for a couple of websites myself. Start off with the one-click LAMP droplet, or even better, set up Apache or NGINX yourself as you've mentioned there's no need for a database or backend.

To me, the main advantage is that I can host as many websites on different domains as I want, without having to pay a hosting fee per website. Also, it's just a Linux box, so you can basically install anything you need at a later stage. Gives you more control over what you're running on the machine, more permissions etc. If you need to scale later, there are also options available for load balancing within DO. Hope this helps ?.

7 minutes ago, Xploda said:

To me, the main advantage is that I can host as many websites on different domains as I want, without having to pay a hosting fee per website.

could you amplify on this point? I dont really understand what you mean. 

we can host multiple website all under digital ocean and under one subscription? 

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

could you amplify on this point? I dont really understand what you mean. 

we can host multiple website all under digital ocean and under one subscription? 

Yes, you can. If you were to host your website at a hosting provider that just provides you with an FTP server to copy your files, combined with a domain name of your choice, and sometimes a ready to use database server, you would usually be paying on a per-website basis. Or at least paying extra to be able to host multiple websites on different domains.

In short, Apache and NGINX both have capabilities to redirect requests on different domains to different folders under which your websites are located, serving the right content for that specific domain. For example, I have a couple of low-traffic websites for some projects of mine, but I host them all on the cheapest DigitalOcean droplet you can get. If I want to host another one, it doesn't matter because I'll still be paying the $5 for just that one Droplet. Eventually I might be running into capacity issues, but that doesn't matter as I can either go for a Droplet with more resources or add another one and enable load balancing.

Depends on what your requirements are and if you're planning to do that in the near future, but to me those are the main reasons to go with DO (or even another provider like Linode, as it's all pretty much the same). I'd say it's a bit more future proof because you'll have a lot more flexibility as it's a Linux VM on which you have full permissions.

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!