i9-9980xe vs i9-9900k [Gaming/V.Editing/Streaming]

Go to solution Solved by Aayush Chaurasia,
19 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Totally pointless to run 2 2080tis unless you have a 4k 120hz display, put that money into monitors or something. Or AMD's stock

a 1950X/2950X is the cheap/effective solution for you, plenty of cores for streaming with 0 impact to your gameplay.

Thanks, everyone for the input. I think I'll proceed with the i9-9900k for now because I'll be using the system more often for gaming than content creation.

And as Streetguru mentioned, I'd be better off using the money to purchase monitors and other peripherals for the system.

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a PC primarily for gaming, video editing, and streaming. 

Ignoring all costs involved, what would be a better CPU option:

1. The i9-9900k (z370 platform) using MSI Meg Z390 Godlike motherboard, or

2. The i9-9980xe (x299 platform) using Asus Rog Rampage VI Extreme motherboard.

I wish to run 2x GeForce 2080Ti (using NVLink) and plan on overclocking both the CPU and the GPU.

Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

For everything else, the 9980xe wins without a doubt.

But even for things like editing, the difference isn't that big, esp for things like h264 based workloads.

Often the 9980xe is only 30-40% faster in exports, and only is much better at real time for things like >4k worloads and raw and lots of multi cam. Id get the 9900k for most uses. If you need streaming with no framerate hit, id look into a external capture card.

23 minutes ago, Aayush Chaurasia said:

Totally pointless to run 2 2080tis unless you have a 4k 120hz display, put that money into monitors or something. Or AMD's stock

a 1950X/2950X is the cheap/effective solution for you, plenty of cores for streaming with 0 impact to your gameplay.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 hour ago, Aayush Chaurasia said:

Hi all,

I'm looking to build a PC primarily for gaming, video editing, and streaming. 

Ignoring all costs involved, what would be a better CPU option:

1. The i9-9900k (z370 platform) using MSI Meg Z390 Godlike motherboard, or

2. The i9-9980xe (x299 platform) using Asus Rog Rampage VI Extreme motherboard.

I wish to run 2x GeForce 2080Ti (using NVLink) and plan on overclocking both the CPU and the GPU.

Thanks in advance.

For strictly gaming, the 9900k is the best CPU in existence right now. You can definitely run NVLinked 2080 Ti's with one for maximum fps in any situation.

as far as the 9980xe, it is slightly faster out of the box than the 7980xe but worse thermals after delidding and using liquid metal on the 7980xe so the newer 9980xe actually can't overclock as high (since it can't be delidded, even though it has better solder TIM than the stock toothpaste that the older chips came with).

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

19 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Thanks, everyone for the input. I think I'll proceed with the i9-9900k for now because I'll be using the system more often for gaming than content creation.

And as Streetguru mentioned, I'd be better off using the money to purchase monitors and other peripherals for the system.