Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk The selected disk has an MBR partition table On EFI Systems Windows can only be instalmed on GPT disks" Fix

Go to solution Solved by lookpuppy,

Or you could simply download Rufus and give it do it for you

as long as you are installing it on a usb, which is way more convienient.

https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

How to fix the error mentioned up there, but without loosing data. I have put all my files on a partition. And i cannot loose them. I have no other option then to ask, ive seen on the internet people set their bios on legacy only instead of uefi but that doesnt seem to do anything for me. Will send pics below.

You can copy all of your important files to another drive, then format your current drive,then install windows, then load all of your files back onto your drive.

Just now, Darpyface said:

You can copy all of your important files to another drive, then format your current drive,then install windows, then load all of your files back onto your drive.

dude im rocking a laptop, there arent any other sata slots. And i don't have a pc :I

Format your drive to GPT using Rufus. This is the only way this will work. Rufus is free and there are tutorials on YouTube.

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

12 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

How to fix the error mentioned up there, but without loosing data. I have put all my files on a partition. And i cannot loose them. I have no other option then to ask, ive seen on the internet people set their bios on legacy only instead of uefi but that doesnt seem to do anything for me. Will send pics below.

Change Boot mode and Boot Priority to UEFI only 

2 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

Change Boot mode and Boot Priority to UEFI only 

That won’t work. I just found out how to do this a few weeks ago. He needs to format the drive using Rufus.

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

3 minutes ago, lookpuppy said:

That won’t work. I just found out how to do this a few weeks ago. He needs to format the drive using Rufus.

I dont like the sound of formation, will it format my data?

33 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

dude im rocking a laptop, there arent any other sata slots. And i don't have a pc :I

USB External HDD, or USB thumb drive. You should have a backup of your data anyway.

With that in mind, have you tried blowing away that System Partition? (Disk 0, Partition 1) I would delete all partitions aside from the one you have data on.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be messing with this at all until after I backed up my data.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

USB External HDD, or USB thumb drive. You should have a backup of your data anyway.

With that in mind, have you tried blowing away that System Partition? (Disk 0, Partition 1) I would delete all partitions aside from the one you have data on.

With that in mind, I wouldn't be messing with this at all until after I backed up my data.

can i copy the partition to a connected usb storage device?

2 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

can i copy the partition to a connected usb storage device?

You can copy the contents, which are the important bits, yes.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You can copy the contents, which are the important bits, yes.

Within this Bootable windows installation????

if you dont wanna nuke any files on the disk...

(actually, doesnt installing windows nuke files on the disk?)

either disable EFI / boot from the media in a non-EFI way, or find some way to make a backup of what you want to keep.

4 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

boot up in the current install of windows, and copy them over to another device?

if you dont have another device, and these files are really important, your backup strategy is factually wrong.

Just now, manikyath said:

if you dont wanna nuke any files on the disk...

(actually, doesnt installing windows nuke files on the disk?)

either disable EFI / boot from the media in a non-EFI way, or find some way to make a backup of what you want to keep.

Well if you install windows on for example c drive, the e drive stays untouched. So no, and i have everything on the e drive thinking, hey i will put everything on e drive and format c, then install on c, and leave e alone with my files. Buuuut noooo fcking windows had to fuck everything up.

Just now, manikyath said:

boot up in the current install of windows, and copy them over to another device?

if you dont have another device, and these files are really important, your backup strategy is factually wrong.

i formatted c....im sorry lol. I can infact though connect the hdd to a pc in my school and then grab the files, but idk where to put them, they are MY files and i dont want anyone checking them.

6 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

You can copy files using the Bootable Windows USB - though that's probably one of the worst ways to do it.

Assuming your current installation of Windows does not work, the easiest way to do this would be to use a Bootable Live OS such as PartedMagic or any other Linux Distro.

Boot from the PartedMagic USB, and when you load into the OS, it'll have every tool you could need, including a File Browser utility where you can copy files from the internal laptop drive onto an external USB drive.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

I dont think its me but ok, ill know for next time.

Just now, YourNewPalAlex said:

i formatted c....im sorry lol. I can infact though connect the hdd to a pc in my school and then grab the files, but idk where to put them, they are MY files and i dont want anyone checking them.

referring back to this one then:

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

disable EFI / boot from the media in a non-EFI way

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

You can copy files using the Bootable Windows USB - though that's probably one of the worst ways to do it.

Assuming your current installation of Windows does not work, the easiest way to do this would be to use a Bootable Live OS such as PartedMagic or any other Linux Distro.

Boot from the PartedMagic USB, and when you load into the OS, it'll have every tool you could need, including a File Browser utility where you can copy files from the internal laptop drive onto an external USB drive.

Good good. That would work perfectly. Thank you.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

boot in a non efi way

since i flashed windows on the bootable device with rufus, when i try to boot without efi, it doesnt boot and it resumes to the hdd, if i boot to efi, then it boots to win installation.

1 minute ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

Good good. That would work perfectly. Thank you.

No problem - to be clear, you will need either:

1. A USB drive (4GB or larger should be fine) for PartedMagic (or your Linux Live OS of choice), and an external USB Drive/HDD with enough capacity to backup all your files, or

2. A single USB drive that's large enough for PartedMagic, and has space left over for all your files.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

No problem - to be clear, you will need either:

1. A USB drive (4GB or larger should be fine) for PartedMagic (or your Linux Live OS of choice), and an external USB Drive/HDD with enough capacity to backup all your files, or

2. A single USB drive that's large enough for PartedMagic, and has space left over for all your files.

for numbere uno, i have a 16GBs usb drive so im good on that. But for 2. I have no where to put them, its literally 200GBs of everything lol. And i dont have any external hdd, i could borrow a external hdd from my relatives, any other idea?