Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk The selected disk has an MBR partition table On EFI Systems Windows can only be instalmed on GPT disks" Fix

Go to solution Solved by lookpuppy,

Or you could simply download Rufus and give it do it for you

 

as long as you are installing it on a usb, which is way more convienient.

https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html

How to fix the error mentioned up there, but without loosing data. I have put all my files on a partition. And i cannot loose them. I have no other option then to ask, ive seen on the internet people set their bios on legacy only instead of uefi but that doesnt seem to do anything for me. Will send pics below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can copy all of your important files to another drive, then format your current drive,then install windows, then load all of your files back onto your drive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Darpyface said:

You can copy all of your important files to another drive, then format your current drive,then install windows, then load all of your files back onto your drive.

dude im rocking a laptop, there arent any other sata slots. And i don't have a pc :I

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Format your drive to GPT using Rufus. This is the only way this will work. Rufus is free and there are tutorials on YouTube.

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

How to fix the error mentioned up there, but without loosing data. I have put all my files on a partition. And i cannot loose them. I have no other option then to ask, ive seen on the internet people set their bios on legacy only instead of uefi but that doesnt seem to do anything for me. Will send pics below.

Change Boot mode and Boot Priority to UEFI only 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

Change Boot mode and Boot Priority to UEFI only 

That won’t work. I just found out how to do this a few weeks ago. He needs to format the drive using Rufus.

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, lookpuppy said:

That won’t work. I just found out how to do this a few weeks ago. He needs to format the drive using Rufus.

I dont like the sound of formation, will it format my data?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

dude im rocking a laptop, there arent any other sata slots. And i don't have a pc :I

USB External HDD, or USB thumb drive. You should have a backup of your data anyway.

 

With that in mind, have you tried blowing away that System Partition? (Disk 0, Partition 1) I would delete all partitions aside from the one you have data on.

 

With that in mind, I wouldn't be messing with this at all until after I backed up my data.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, dalekphalm said:

USB External HDD, or USB thumb drive. You should have a backup of your data anyway.

 

With that in mind, have you tried blowing away that System Partition? (Disk 0, Partition 1) I would delete all partitions aside from the one you have data on.

 

With that in mind, I wouldn't be messing with this at all until after I backed up my data.

can i copy the partition to a connected usb storage device?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

can i copy the partition to a connected usb storage device?

You can copy the contents, which are the important bits, yes.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You can copy the contents, which are the important bits, yes.

Within this Bootable windows installation????

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

if you dont wanna nuke any files on the disk...

(actually, doesnt installing windows nuke files on the disk?)

 

either disable EFI / boot from the media in a non-EFI way, or find some way to make a backup of what you want to keep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

Within this Bootable windows installation????

boot up in the current install of windows, and copy them over to another device?

 

if you dont have another device, and these files are really important, your backup strategy is factually wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, manikyath said:

if you dont wanna nuke any files on the disk...

(actually, doesnt installing windows nuke files on the disk?)

 

either disable EFI / boot from the media in a non-EFI way, or find some way to make a backup of what you want to keep.

Well if you install windows on for example c drive, the e drive stays untouched. So no, and i have everything on the e drive thinking, hey i will put everything on e drive and format c, then install on c, and leave e alone with my files. Buuuut noooo fcking windows had to fuck everything up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, manikyath said:

boot up in the current install of windows, and copy them over to another device?

 

if you dont have another device, and these files are really important, your backup strategy is factually wrong.

i formatted c....im sorry lol. I can infact though connect the hdd to a pc in my school and then grab the files, but idk where to put them, they are MY files and i dont want anyone checking them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

Within this Bootable windows installation????

You can copy files using the Bootable Windows USB - though that's probably one of the worst ways to do it.

 

Assuming your current installation of Windows does not work, the easiest way to do this would be to use a Bootable Live OS such as PartedMagic or any other Linux Distro.

 

Boot from the PartedMagic USB, and when you load into the OS, it'll have every tool you could need, including a File Browser utility where you can copy files from the internal laptop drive onto an external USB drive.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you dont have another device, and these files are really important, your backup strategy is factually wrong.

I dont think its me but ok, ill know for next time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, YourNewPalAlex said:

i formatted c....im sorry lol. I can infact though connect the hdd to a pc in my school and then grab the files, but idk where to put them, they are MY files and i dont want anyone checking them.

referring back to this one then:

 

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

disable EFI / boot from the media in a non-EFI way

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

You can copy files using the Bootable Windows USB - though that's probably one of the worst ways to do it.

 

Assuming your current installation of Windows does not work, the easiest way to do this would be to use a Bootable Live OS such as PartedMagic or any other Linux Distro.

 

Boot from the PartedMagic USB, and when you load into the OS, it'll have every tool you could need, including a File Browser utility where you can copy files from the internal laptop drive onto an external USB drive.

Good good. That would work perfectly. Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

boot in a non efi way

 

since i flashed windows on the bootable device with rufus, when i try to boot without efi, it doesnt boot and it resumes to the hdd, if i boot to efi, then it boots to win installation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, YourNewPalAlex said:

Good good. That would work perfectly. Thank you.

No problem - to be clear, you will need either:

1. A USB drive (4GB or larger should be fine) for PartedMagic (or your Linux Live OS of choice), and an external USB Drive/HDD with enough capacity to backup all your files, or

2. A single USB drive that's large enough for PartedMagic, and has space left over for all your files.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

No problem - to be clear, you will need either:

1. A USB drive (4GB or larger should be fine) for PartedMagic (or your Linux Live OS of choice), and an external USB Drive/HDD with enough capacity to backup all your files, or

2. A single USB drive that's large enough for PartedMagic, and has space left over for all your files.

for numbere uno, i have a 16GBs usb drive so im good on that. But for 2. I have no where to put them, its literally 200GBs of everything lol. And i dont have any external hdd, i could borrow a external hdd from my relatives, any other idea?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×