Microsoft open-sourced Windows Forms, WinUI and WPF

Source:
https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2018/12/04/announcing-open-source-of-wpf-windows-forms-and-winui-at-microsoft-connect-2018/

At Build 2018, I outlined our approach to helping you be more productive when developing apps, including the introduction of .NET Core 3.0. We also started decoupling many parts of the Windows development platform, so you can adopt technologies incrementally. Today at Microsoft Connect(); 2018 Conference we shared the next steps – specifically to support innovations in UI:

1. .NET Core 3.0 Preview 1 adds support for building client apps using Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Forms, and XAML Islands.
  2. WPF, Windows Forms, and Windows UI XAML Library (WinUI) are now open source, so you can create experiences with the freedom you want.

WPF, Windows Forms, and WinUI ready for your contributions

This journey is our continued commitment to creating the development platform with you, through open source. Our three, popular Windows UX frameworks are ready for your contributions on GitHub: WPFWindows Forms, and WinUI. Open sourcing these technologies provides transparency between the product team and the community, helps democratize Windows development, and enables the community to engage and contribute to these repos.

There are the github links!: 
https://github.com/dotnet/winformshttps://github.com/Microsoft/microsoft-ui-xaml
https://github.com/dotnet/wpf

Well, I'm very happy about that, even though I would like to see more core parts of Windows open sourced as well, I think that open sourcing is a good way to spare money for companies having work done by other people, and maybe that could lead to the end of the Windows 10 releases issues, which are in my opinion too much hasty, including more people in the Insider program obviously. Maybe like releasing source code only to them? Could be a great idea too imo. They are doing too many projects, and they seem like they don't have time to fix all those issues, again open sourcing is another way to solve those issues.
Could also been the reason they did that, open sourcing some things in order to have less resources to focus on.

For the ones who don't know, Windows Forms is the primary Widget interface that is always been used in the Windows OS, something like GTK or QT. 
Risultati immagini per win32 windows form api
What could happen now? 
Well, it isn't known to be "very portable" on other systems, but now it could be integrated on the Mono project, (an entirely open source .NET compliant framework which is cross-platform) and that could lead to more compatibility and code portability on other systems like MacOS or Linux (Just speaking of GUI widgets) 
Not sure about that, but that could also mean that projects like Wine could offer better compatibility to Windows.form apps 

Don't know that much of WPF and WinUI, but WinUI is another GUI widget that is used to give a metro-like look to apps, like Edge or the new Paint 3D.
Immagine correlata
While WPF don't know actually. Stands for windows presentation foundation.

Edited by Guest

So basically at this point they just give up fixing their own mess by open-sourcing a bunch of stuff so we now have to fix it?

Like, i really don't get why they open-source this stuff. Maybe a dev can explain?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, samcool55 said:

So basically at this point they just give up fixing their own mess by open-sourcing a bunch of stuff so we now have to fix it?

Just like the Linux community!

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Well, this is certainly interesting. I think the biggest thing to come from this? Someone is going to have a "Linux that looks like Windows" version eventually. 

Huh, apparently the rendering engine Edge uses was meant to be compatible with Blink and Webkit anyways (https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/06/17/building-a-more-interoperable-web-with-microsoft-edge/)

So basically, the rendering engine is redundant at this point.

9 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Like, i really don't get why they open-source this stuff. Maybe a dev can explain?

Like Google with Chrome (well the engine) and many of its other projects. It is open source, but they are the active/main contributors, and they decide the direction of the project.

The idea is that you have the code open for others to participate and make the platform more relevant.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Huh, apparently the rendering engine Edge uses was meant to be compatible with Blink and Webkit anyways (https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/06/17/building-a-more-interoperable-web-with-microsoft-edge/)

So basically, the rendering engine is redundant at this point.

Wrong thread? But no. What they mean is that the engine support everything (as a goal) Blink and Webkit. In other words, it won't re-invent the internet, and design the engine to behave as close as possible to theses engines.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Wrong thread? But no. What they mean is that the engine support everything (as a goal) Blink and Webkit. In other words, it won't re-invent the internet, and design the engine to behave as close as possible to theses engines.

Oh yeah, wrong thread. I can't keep up with this place.

7 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Well, this is certainly interesting. I think the biggest thing to come from this? Someone is going to have a "Linux that looks like Windows" version eventually. 

From what I understand, people have been saying Linux has been becoming more like Windows, I mean Windows certainly is becoming more like Linux, look at the UWP Store on Windows 10, it's very akin to the Software Centre on something like Ubuntu. I guess the main difference between OS now is updates and performance and Windows 10 has had some bad updates and generally runs slower than a lot of Linux distros.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Like Google with Chrome (well the engine) and many of its other projects. It is open source, but they are the active/main contributors, and they decide the direction of the project.

The idea is that you have the code open for others to participate and make the platform more relevant.

Well, Chrome isn't open source but Chromium is. But I see what you mean.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Also, holy crap. I hope this means that Mono gets an implementation of WPF and WinForms running across platforms in the future.

The Xamarin Team is already bringing WPF to Linux but hopefully this should speed up development and offer more features and compatibility.

Edit: Also obligatory post about how Microsoft has now put these 3 technologies in the "Extinguish" phase of the three Es.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

From what I understand, people have been saying Linux has been becoming more like Windows, I mean Windows certainly is becoming more like Linux, look at the UWP Store on Windows 10, it's very akin to the Software Centre on something like Ubuntu. I guess the main difference between OS now is updates and performance and Windows 10 has had some bad updates and generally runs slower than a lot of Linux distros.

There's always been a lot of convergence with the OSes. As much as everyone ended up, in the old days, with their favorites, the reality of the GUI over a backend is pretty straight forward. It's really just libraries, binaries and execution approaches, at the end of it all. Though the main thing has always just been the payment model. MS produced a product "good enough" and supported it for the "normal" user. 

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There's always been a lot of convergence with the OSes. As much as everyone ended up, in the old days, with their favorites, the reality of the GUI over a backend is pretty straight forward. It's really just libraries, binaries and execution approaches, at the end of it all. Though the main thing has always just been the payment model. MS produced a product "good enough" and supported it for the "normal" user. 

When I started using Ubuntu, I'm still very new to Linux, I was surprised at how similar it was to macOS as opposed to Windows. It was very snappy and responsive. I prefer Windows at the moment, but Microsoft really need to step up their game with their updates and I think Windows can still go along way. It's far from a perfect operating system. Maybe this is a step in the right direction? 

2 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

When I started using Ubuntu, I'm still very new to Linux, I was surprised at how similar it was to macOS as opposed to Windows. It was very snappy and responsive. I prefer Windows at the moment, but Microsoft really need to step up their game with their updates and I think Windows can still go along way. It's far from a perfect operating system. Maybe this is a step in the right direction? 

Unless you were there, you don't realize how important the Start Menu actually was. Everyone has just been trying to make a better version since. Which is why, at the end of it all, everyone just has slightly different Designs over extremely similar approaches. MacOS and Windows are just designed to be as functional as possible for non-technical people. Sometimes it works well, and some times you get Windows 8.

But that's the front-end. The back-ends are very different, which is the one thing MS has always had problems with. They made compromises for years to get Windows established that they kept having to carry those forward. They never got "ahead" of their issues on the back-end parts of the OS. Probably never will.

9 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

Is it but it also isn't, lacks in hardware acceleration feature especially in browsers, also full 144Hz support cause lack of development from vendors.
And has also issues on dual-gpu laptops (the most common) which neither nvidia or someone is going to solve it quickly 

Except those issues yes, is responsive. Is a traditional OS like Windows 7 was and MacOS, and linux desktops are more complete and good-looking.

3 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Is it but it also isn't, lacks in hardware acceleration feature especially in browsers, also full 144Hz support cause lack of development from vendors.
And has also issues on dual-gpu laptops (the most common) which neither nvidia or someone is going to solve it quickly 

Except those issues yes, is responsive. Is a traditional OS like Windows 7 was and MacOS, and linux desktops are more complete and good-looking.

Yeah well you helped me out with issues with dedicated graphics and the default AMD Radeon drivers on Ubuntu so I can attest to annoying graphics drivers at least. I feel like Ubuntu on a laptop would almost be better for someone new, you wouldn't run into many driver issues off the bat, I'm trying to get an old Macbook to run it but we'll see.

3 hours ago, samcool55 said:

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Absolutely this ^

Also the same applies for the Linux Kernel, there are some guys including Linus Torvalds itself checking every commit someone makes in the mainline kernel, they even used to give f*cks to big companies if the code was completely a mess, the linux kernel code itself is also full of blasphemy lol (this recently has changed but whatever)

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Don't understand the joke tbh, most of the linux community is just blinded to basic "guides" the found on the ubuntu forum or on the internet, and they'll use an OS without knowing how it actually works and/or just by following an elitary philosophy like Stallman, and if you have a problem most of them don't know actually why are those happening and what is the cause without just telling you to do terminal commands they found on an ancient "X" site... Something like that, that isn't clearly going to work, unless someone actually knows what's going on

If you meant the open source software on linux is the buggiest that's actually the opposite, vendors used to make their drivers proprietary and there wasn't a single time it just worked fine without issues, open source ones are actually the ones more reliable for obvious reasons.

Soon we will not need Linux anymore? O3O

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

12 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Like Google with Chrome (well the engine)

chromium right? and that's not just an engine, it's a full browser...

She/Her

this is in all aspects good. the more they open-source, the more the Linux community can use, and the less we need Windows :) 

She/Her

13 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Probably just want to get some PR.

Here is a statement in their contribution guide:

Most .NET Core components are cross-platform and we appreciate contributions that either improve their feature set in a given environment or that add support for a new environment. We will typically not accept contributions that implement support for an OS-specific technolology on another operating system. For example, we do not intend to create an implementation of the Windows registry for Linux or an implementation of the macOS keychain for Windows. We also do not intend to accept contributions that provide cross-platform implementations for Windows Forms or WPF.

Emphasis mine.

So while WinForms and WPF are now open source, Microsoft will not implement changes which makes them work on for example GNU/Linux in the main branch.

Someone could fork it implement the changes themselves, but then we get a total mess with two competing forks which have different feature sets for different platforms (that is, assuming someone even wants to take on the burden of maintaining the fork).

On top of that, a lot of the underlying things are still closed source. For example WPF uses DirectX for rendering. So while WPF might be open source, it won't have anything to hook into on GNU/Linux unless DirectX is supported too.

I think the biggest win here is that now we might get WPF implemented in mono. Previously they didn't implement that because it was deemed too large of a project, and there wasn't much interest in it from developers to begin with.

They might also be able to clean up some WinForms bugs.

It's nice that they have open sourced it, but their policies are still "problematic" and I think these types of announcements lead people to believe things like "soon we'll have Windows programs running natively on GNU/Linux". Microsoft still has a very large and thick wall preventing that from happening anytime soon, and I doubt they will ever tear it down. Doesn't make sense from a business perspective.

15 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Except Linux is free and so are it's applications.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)