Samsung 860 Evo 500GB slow write and read speeds

Ricklamperouge
Go to solution Solved by SSD Sean,

What’s your system?

Maybe install or remove the SATA driver? Try clearing CMOS?  

Update the BIOS/UEFI?

Weird it’s not negotiating the SATA 6Gb/s link correctly. 

For write speed, run Windows Optimize on the drive and let it sit for a little and restart and then retest it.

Hello, I bought a Samsung Evo 860 Evo and I'm getting really low speeds. I have around 250MB/s read speeds and 80MB/s write speeds. I have AHCI enabled on Bios, my sata cables are 6.0 Gb/s, I changed the registry following a few tutorials and nothing. My motherboard has 6 Sata 3 slots. 

SSD.png

1. Check your SATA cable anyway, even if you think it's good.

2. Check your drivers (motherboard).

I'm assuming nothing is going on in the background correct? Downloading files, updates.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

4 hours ago, homeap5 said:

1. Check your SATA cable anyway, even if you think it's good.

2. Check your drivers (motherboard).

I used different sata cables and is still the same

I didn't found any drivers for sata in my motherboard website, just LAN, audio and bios

4 hours ago, VinsinityKT said:

I'm assuming nothing is going on in the background correct? Downloading files, updates.

Nope, I even did a fresh install of windows

This may not be the case but there could be a background task using up a lot of the drive time. Try restarting in safe mode and check the speeds again. If the problem persists, then it may not be the case. If the drive runs fine in safe mode, check what programs are using the drive a lot in task manager in windows.

Currently working towards fully restoring my ThinkPad T510

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 -- ASUS Dual Radeon RX 6650 XT OC Edition 8GB -- Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 (4x8GB) -- ASRock B450M Steel Legend -- Corsair CX650M -- SAMA IM01 -- Crucial P2 500GB NVMe, 2x Crucial BX500 1TB

What’s your system?

Update the BIOS/UEFI?

For write speed, run Windows Optimize on the drive and let it sit for a little and restart and then retest it.

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

1 minute ago, SSD Sean said:

What’s your system?

Update the BIOS/UEFI?

Possible the BIOS is not allowing full speeds... Also how have you formatted the drive? NTFS? FAT32? also what is the boot sector type? MBR? GPT?

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 -- ASUS Dual Radeon RX 6650 XT OC Edition 8GB -- Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 (4x8GB) -- ASRock B450M Steel Legend -- Corsair CX650M -- SAMA IM01 -- Crucial P2 500GB NVMe, 2x Crucial BX500 1TB

4 hours ago, Kiddo V9999 said:

This may not be the case but there could be a background task using up a lot of the drive time. Try restarting in safe mode and check the speeds again. If the problem persists, then it may not be the case. If the drive runs fine in safe mode, check what programs are using the drive a lot in task manager in windows.

I ran windows in safe mode and tried and the speeds were the same, and there is nothing using the drive in the task manager.

4 hours ago, SSD Sean said:

What’s your system?

Update the BIOS/UEFI?

I will try that.

The only other cause I can think of is a defective drive or a faulty drive firmware

59 minutes ago, Ricklamperouge said:

Nope, I even did a fresh install of windows

That's even worse - you removed all entries in event viewer that can help you. All tuning you made is gone too. And Windows reinstalling updates again. Also if there is drive problem, another os installation do not help but may make it worse. Connect your drive to another computer if you can and test speed while your SSD is second drive.

Ok it got fixed, I cleared the CMOS and updated the bios and now is reading and writing at 497/453, thanks a lot for your suggestions

1. Take Backup of Important Datas and Plug-in Charger
  2. Install Windows OS
  3. After Completion of Windows OS, Boot Ubuntu Live Media and Install Ubuntu OS Alongside With Windows OS.
  4. After Completion of OS Installation,Restart The Machine and Choose Which One Want To Boot from Grub Menu!
  5. In Windows OS, You Need To Install Some Driver Softwares Like Audio or Video Drivers for Proper Function. But In Ubuntu Drivers are Taken By Default and Works Well.

7 hours ago, SSD Sean said:

What’s your system?

Update the BIOS/UEFI?

What does clearing CMOS do?  Not disagreeing at all, Im a noob, but after I read this thread I checked and all my ish is updated (the first PC in my sig) but my write speeds are slow?  And I checked on two diff BIOS (current) and a very old one and results were same either way (close enough to same):

Expectatations of EVO.PNG

3rd bench updated everything.PNG

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

31 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

What does clearing CMOS do?  Not disagreeing at all, Im a noob, but after I read this thread I checked and all my ish is updated (the first PC in my sig) but my write speeds are slow?  And I checked on two diff BIOS (current) and a very old one and results were same either way (close enough to same):

Expectatations of EVO.PNG

3rd bench updated everything.PNG

He had another issue besides write speed. His SATA link was negotiating at SATA 2, not SATA 3. So clearing the CMOS can reset the boards SATA controller's links. So that is what that was for. 

To help improve slow write speed, you run TRIM (Windows Optimize) on the drive and let it recover. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

On 12/4/2018 at 1:42 PM, Ricklamperouge said:

Ok it got fixed, I cleared the CMOS and updated the bios and now is reading and writing at 497/453, thanks a lot for your suggestions

Good to know you fixed it. Hopefully, I was able to help in some way!