*Updated* Epic Games announces their low-fee, curated digital games store - EG store is now live, with trailer

Delicieuxz

The Epic Games store is now live

The store will also feature one free game every two weeks throughout 2019. Epic is funding these free releases so you always have something new to come and check out. The first free game will be Subnautica, available from Dec 14th to Dec 27th, followed by Super Meat Boy from Dec 28th to Jan 10th.

Here's the store link: https://www.epicgames.com/store

The Epic Games store is also accessible inside of the Epic Games launcher.

------- Original post -------

Announcing the Epic Games Store

For the past five years, we've been building tools enabling Epic to bring our games directly to players. We built the Epic Games launcher on PC and Mac featuring Fortnite and Unreal Engine; we built a worldwide digital commerce ecosystem supporting dozens of payment methods; and we gained great economies of scale thanks to Fortnite's growth.

As developers ourselves, we wanted two things: a store with fair economics, and a direct relationship with players. And we've heard that many of you want this too!

Soon we'll launch the Epic Games store, and begin a long journey to advance the cause of all developers. The store will launch with a hand-curated set of games on PC and Mac, then it will open up more broadly to other games and to Android and other open platforms throughout 2019. 

The Epic Games store will operate on the following principles:

All Developers Earn 88%
Developers receive 88% of revenue. There are no tiers or thresholds. Epic takes 12%. And if you’re using Unreal Engine, Epic will cover the 5% engine royalty for sales on the Epic Games store, out of Epic’s 12%.

All Engines Are Welcome
The Epic Games store is open to games built with any engine, and the first releases span Unreal, Unity and internal engines.

When You Succeed, We Succeed

We’ve built this store and its economic model so that Epic’s interests are aligned with your interests.  Because of the high volume of Fortnite transactions, we can process store payments, serve bandwidth, and support customers very efficiently. From Epic’s 12% store fee, we’ll have a profitable business we’ll grow and reinvest in for years to come!

So, we're about to have yet another digital games retailer on the block. For a lot of people, that's not what they want to hear. However, I think there are reasons why this particular store is exciting.

Epic Games is one of the pioneers of PC gaming and is led by industry and anti-monopoly advocate and master game engine-builder Tim Sweeney. Epic has a positive reputation, and Sweeney is a bit of an industry hero, IMO. He also has designed what are probably the most-used game engines in PC gaming history. He has specifically been very vocal against Microsoft's predatory and monopolistic practices - and I wonder if this move is a part of his stance against UWP.

Next, the industry-wide standard fee digital retailer fee 30%. That standard store-fee was set by Valve back in 2003 (I think) when they launched Steam, which at that time represented a massive increase in profits for publishers and developers over the retail store model. Obviously, Epic's 12% store fee is yet again a large increase in profits for publishers and developers. And I think that it's going to make other digital games retailers have to respond sooner or later, because that low price along with Epic's reputation for solid coding and for not being greedy or assholes is likely to make Epic's store a very popular destination for games, and therefore for gamers.

Steam, GoG, Ubisoft, Origin... I think that all of them charge a 30% sale-price fee for 3rd-party games. And if Epic's store becomes a go-to place for games, why will developers want to keep selling their games on another store where they get only 70% of the profits?

Thirdly, Epic's store will be hand-curated. A popular, hand-curated game store by a company that has loads of technological competence and a good reputation could turn into something great.

By the way, remember when Microsoft decided that GFWL wasn't profitable enough for them keep doing it and so they shut-down down their game servers leaving all their customers without recourse? Well, what if the industry now moves to 12% to stay competitive? Will Microsoft still be willing to operate the Microsoft Store at those profit margins, or will Microsoft once against decide the business isn't profitable enough for them to keep participating in it?

Also, I wonder if Valve announced their 20 - 25 - 30% tier system as a result from hearing about Epic's upcoming profits-splitting system. Or, if Epic had the idea upon hearing about Valve's change in their system, and figured out that they can outdo it by far.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

So, we're about to have yet another digital games retailer on the block. For a lot of people, that's not what they want to hear. However, I think there are reasons why this particular store is exciting.

It's gonna be an Epic Showdown, all Valves Set to Wide open! 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

It's gonna be an Epic Showdown, all Valves Set to Wide open! 

You could say we're witnessing the Origin of affordable pc gaming.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

how can they survive on only 12%, wasn't 30% almost non profitable ?

sweet fork those greedy bastards at valve

great more DRM bloatware in order to play games... yeah no thanks

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Competition is good. 

Hopefully they can get their security in order.  I get "someone tried to access your account" emails about once a week.  My kids only played that game for like 3 days and then it fell out of favor.  Never gave them any money or CC numbers.

Not good news. I hope there aren't any games I want that will be on that platform... I am already sick of having so many required applications to play my games. I honestly wish they could all just be on Steam, one place to have all my games. That would be ideal. I get the monopolistic standard of that but what I mean is maybe buy the game from the independent dev, then be able to launch it without having that devs stupid game launcher applications running in order to play the game. DRM is the worst invention, massive inconvenience.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Clicked into this expecting to see Origin and/or Uplay clone but was pleasantly surprised. I hope this can become a true competitor to steam. Probably won't ever beat them, but something to at least make Valve try harder.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

It's nice to see a more fair business practice, but at the same time I'm thinking not another store to install. There should be an app to launch and buy games from stores all in one place. 

Key word Valve, their store is curated.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, asus killer said:

30% is more than profitable. Executives at the companies with major game stores are doing well for themselves.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Key word Valve, their store is curated.

Steam do have the 'Your Queue' feature. It can help tailor game recommendations depending on what other games you play already. Whilst not the most accurate, I certainly appreciate it. 

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

I for one know I always wanted to have to run a dozen+ different launchers to play all my games!

35 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Steam do have the 'Your Queue' feature. It can help tailor game recommendations depending on what other games you play already. Whilst not the most accurate, I certainly appreciate it. 

That's not curation. We wouldn't have all the shit on Steam if Valve still curated games.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 12/4/2018 at 12:10 PM, asus killer said:

B4 steam, retailers (gamestop etc.) took like 50-80%, 30% Isnt bad.

hand-curated

aka whoever gives us the most money so they can get on the front page of the launcher for all the children that play fortnite to see

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Hurray for yet another digital storefront to have to use to just play some games... 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

Damn it, no Linux support.

They should have made it truly cross platform, this maybe indicative of their attitude towards unreal engine on Linux as well.

I think the big seller here could be bundling the unreal engine as part of the deal. What devs can do is launch their games simultaneously on this as well as steam. and hope that over time this store becomes big enough to offset the value of being on steam.

43 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

As far as I can tell, it will just be a web based store instead of another client application. So it should not upset Valve as much if you still launch the game through Steam and still see Steam ads. Kind of like all those cd key sites we have already. And it might not necessarily mean cheaper games for us, if they keep standard pricing on the new store.

Pricing cannot be cheaper on other stores if you also want your game on Steam. It's part of the TOS that devs sign with Valve.

Valve does not ask for any exclusivity agreements with devs, so the devs are free to launch on Steam while simultaneously launching on GOG, Origin etc or anywhere else. However the devs should commit that they will not undermine steam by giving preferential pricing elsewhere.

10 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

B4 steam, retailers (gamestop etc.) took like 50-80%, 30% Isnt bad.

80%! i want whatever you're smoking.

Valve had this plan years ago to roll out the Source 2 engine with full SDK as an alternative to Unity and Unreal. It was to be free to use for devs if you put your game on steam, and the plan doesn't even require your game to be exclusive to Steam.

Well that was a good plan to incentivise devs to use Steam using the Source 2 engine. But Valve grew so lackadaisical that we are at the end of 2018 and they still haven't released the Source 2 SDK. They do have the Source 2 engine. It supports Mac OSX, Linux and Windows, it supports Vulkan, it's well multi-threaded, supports VR, a new physics and lighting engine etc.. sounds good on paper. We are told it works well inside of Valve. But outside of Valve all we have seen of it is Dota 2, Artifact card game and some VR demos.

Valve as a company is now too lazy and too comfortable with all the $$. They should have got a big enough team together with enough motivation to get Source 2 out to the public years ago and keep it updated with new technology. Modern Valve doesn't seem like they are disciplined or motivated enough to play this game and keep up with the likes of Unreal and Unity.

If they had the disciplilne, focus and motivation not only would it make steam more resilient but it would also have gone a long way towards their goal of making Linux gaming bigger by providing a toolset for devs with first class Linux support.

Now they are facing Epic trying to do to them what Valve should have done years ago.

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

As far as I can tell, it will just be a web based store instead of another client application. So it should not upset Valve as much if you still launch the game through Steam and still see Steam ads. Kind of like all those cd key sites we have already. And it might not necessarily mean cheaper games for us, if they keep standard pricing on the new store.

Epic do already have a games library client for their own games, which currently is limited to Epic's Fortnite, Unreal Tournament, Shadow Complex, and content for Unreal Editor 4 including a bunch of game-specific mod editors.

184475741_Gamemodeditor.jpg.927839ff2f891d4fb8b5019dee47f427.jpg

My guess is that all the 3rd-party games Epic sells will become available in this client.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 hours ago, Humbug said:

Valve as a company is now too lazy and too comfortable with all the $$. They should have got a big enough team together with enough motivation to get Source 2 out to the public years ago and keep it updated with new technology. Modern Valve doesn't seem like they are disciplined or motivated enough to play this game and keep up with the likes of Unreal and Unity.

Honestly at this point Gabe seems to be like Guru in DBZA abridged, lazy and comfortable and not caring of what's happening about him.

21 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Honestly at this point Gabe seems to be like Guru in DBZA abridged, lazy and comfortable and not caring of what's happening about him.

lol

I actually think that Gabe and loads of other senior people in Valve still do care.

But the fire is not there behind them. Complex Software projects and AAA game development is a tedious, multi year process. Every big project goes through difficult times, and Valve employees now do not feel sufficient motivation to push through. They don't seem like a company that can get hundreds of employees working together on a mega project for a few years without losing interest.

When they developed HL1 and HL2 it was different. The whole company had the fire behind them to finish the project, it was their livelihood and their revenue source. If you learn about the development history it was as troubled and difficult as every other AAA game. But they stuck to it. Modern Valve would just say screw it, employees will eventually lose interest and drift off to do other things. And hey there's enough money in the bank and no management oversight so...

would still give my money to steam, at least they don't snob off the small linux community 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>