2950X + ENVM 970 PRO = Windows problem?

jakubstelzer

Hello everyone,

I just built my new system and it keeps crashing/restartind/BSOD when I get to windows.

System specs:

CPU: AMD TR 2950x

MB: MSI MEG X399 CREATIN

RAM: 4x16GB gskill trident 3200

GPU: RTX2080ti

BOOT DRIVE: Samsung NVME M.2 SSD 970 PRO 512GB

Second drives: 2x 1TB Samsung nvme m.2 970 EVO in RAID0

I have already reinstalled windows for about 5 times, I have downgraded and upgraded bios and I still have the same problem: After few minutes in my windows system I start to get BSOD with various problems "page_failed_in_nonpaged_area" "critical_service_failed" "IRQL_not_less_or_equal" "kmode_exception_*" "apc_index_dismatch" "memory_management_error" ETC ETC. Even at one installation I wasn't even able to get to windows at all and keep getting these errors during booting.

I may have narrowed the problem to following: CPU, NVME, MB, WINDOWS. I have switched memory modules so I know they work. Bios shouldn't be the problem neither.

I had to disable IOMMU in bios to be even able to install windows on my NVME SSD.

Can you guys help me?

As you can guess, it is a workstation and I need to get back to work. I have at least my old system up and running.

Thanks in advance.

Jakub Stelzer

2 minutes ago, ThePD said:

Do you have XMP enabled on your ram sticks?

yes, I do.

Just now, jakubstelzer said:

yes, I do.

Try taking the XMP off and put it to DDR4 native speed. I have experienced the same BSOD "memory_management_error" when I activated XMP on my rig. It would also cause other random BSOD's unrelated to memory which made it hard to track down.

3 minutes ago, ThePD said:

Try taking the XMP off and put it to DDR4 native speed. I have experienced the same BSOD "memory_management_error" when I activated XMP on my rig. It would also cause other random BSOD's unrelated to memory which made it hard to track down.

i am not sure. I have been messing around with rams pretty heavily.

I would start with bringing it to stock and seeing what happens. If it remains stable then mess with the settings.

2 minutes ago, ThePD said:

I would start with bringing it to stock and seeing what happens. If it remains stable then mess with the settings.

Thanks for the tip.

actual sitrep: Right now I have fresh install of windows and it works, but after few windows updates it again started to do this stuff.. doesn't that mean that it is OS (or driver) problem?

1 minute ago, jakubstelzer said:

Thanks for the tip.

actual sitrep: Right now I have fresh install of windows and it works, but after few windows updates it again started to do this stuff.. doesn't that mean that it is OS (or driver) problem?

Potentially yes. You could try locking down windows update and only allowing a few updates at a time to see if you can identify if it is one particular update causing the BSOD's.