How far can I go with a Ryzen 5 2600 on a B450 Tomahawk/Pro Carbon AC??

I heard that you could get the same performance as a Ryzen 5 2600X, by overclocking a Ryzen 5 2600.

If I am to get the Ryzen 2600, I wish to get a B450 board, ideally a Tomahawk or a Pro Carbon AC.

I've never overclocked before, so I'm not sure how far I can get with a Tomahawk or a Carbon. Does anybody know how far I could get? would I be able to reach Ryzen 5 2600X performance with either of these boards?

I also have a GTX 1080 (EVGA Founder's Edition) and a 650 Watt PSU. In terms of cooling I plan to get a Hyper 212 EVO.

Do you already have these parts? Some of them (The motherboard and cooler) arent the greatest for OC'ing

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Get a beefier cooler but the performance of a 2600x is easy to reach

4 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Do you already have these parts? Some of them (The motherboard and cooler) arent the greatest for OC'ing 

Nope.

Do you mean the Tomahawk when you menton the motherboard?

22 minutes ago, TimidMage66 said:

Nope.

Do you mean the Tomahawk when you menton the motherboard?

Yes. The MSI boards have crappy vrm's. I'd look into an Asrock Pro4 or maybe an Asus Strix board or something similar if you can. For cooler, I'd look into something like an Arctic Esports, or a Noctua U12/14S

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Just now, Slottr said:

Yes. The MSI boards have crappy vrm's. I'd look into an Asrock Pro4 or maybe an Asus Strix board or something similar if you can. For cooler, I'd look into something like an Arctic Esports, or a Noctua U12/14S

From everything I've read, all the MSI boards *except* the Tomahawk are pretty crappy, it's one of the best low/midrange boards, and slightly better than the Pro4 AFAIK. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

From everything I've read, all the MSI boards *except* the Tomahawk are pretty crappy, it's one of the best low/midrange boards, and slightly better than the Pro4 AFAIK. 

I've gotten so many mixed signals on the tomahawk boards, I'll take your word over others for sure though.

16 minutes ago, Slottr said:

What about Gigabyte boards?

18 minutes ago, TimidMage66 said:

Fine from what Ive seen, also depending on what board you're looking at specifically 

2 hours ago, Slottr said:

Fine from what Ive seen, also depending on what board you're looking at specifically 

Personal use case, I've used and abused my gigabyte b350 gaming 3 and it is still performing admirably, especially with my OC's. There was an odd-one off issue with my USB 3.0 ports not working but I think that was windows related,  not mb.

"Surround yourself with professionals and never be the smartest person in the room" -Someone much smarter than I

Find me on Rainbow 6 seige - Beeried94

2 hours ago, Slottr said:

Tomahawk has one of the best VRMs as far as B450 boards are concerned. The BIOS is pretty user-friendly too.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

13 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Tomahawk has one of the best VRMs as far as B450 boards are concerned. The BIOS is pretty user-friendly too.

After doing some research it seems that the vrm's definitely arent the best, but they're fine for a low/mid tier board. 

Agree with the bios layout though- overclocking is very easy on their boards.

4 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

4 hours ago, Slottr said:

After doing some research it seems that the vrm's definitely arent the best, but they're fine for a low/mid tier board. 

Agree with the bios layout though- overclocking is very easy on their boards.

What about the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC? Looks more interesting due to better VRM phase design...

Or should I jump to X470 instead?

10 hours ago, TimidMage66 said:

I have the new one Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi and love it only thing I wish it had is Rainbow LED added to its color cycle.

My PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor (4.4Ghz), MOBO: GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/ X470/ Intel Wave 2 WiFi/M.2), RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15, GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Windforce OC GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD Graphics Cards, STORAGE: 120GB CRUCIAL SSD, 1TB WD BLUE, COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO RGB Black Edition, FANS: 4 x MasterFan MF120R RGB (2 Front, 1 Back, 1 Top), 1 x Noctua NF-P12 Redux 1700 RPM(Back off Cooler), PC CASE: Cooler Master MB500 case, PSU: EVGA 750 BQ.

My Kids PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 (95watt @3.5Ghz @1.40V), MOBO: ASUS M2A-VM, RAM: Kingston 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, GPU: nVidia GT 710 2GB DDR3 (OC’ed Clock to 1300Mhz and Memory to 950Mhz), STORAGE: 250GB HDD, 500GB HDD, COOLER:  Cooler Master 212 EVO, PC CASE: Cooler Master Q300L , FANS: 3 x upHere RED LED Fans (2 Front, 1 Back), PSU: Generic 300 Watt PSU.

Console:  PS4 - vjizzle2384

7 hours ago, TimidMage66 said:

What about the B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC? Looks more interesting due to better VRM phase design...

Or should I jump to X470 instead?

It's bit better than Tomahawk, but it comes down to price. If it costs around $140, you are probably better off getting X370 motherboard (Strix-F or Gaming K7)

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold