Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Mini News] Microsoft's new Office Icon pack has major flaws but Microsoft doesn't care

AluminiumTech

ArsTechnica reports that Microsoft's recently announced new Office Icon Pack has a major flaw and Microsoft doesn't seem to care.

The new Office icon pack includes new icons for almost all Office products except for Access, Visio, and Publisher.

That's because at this point Microsoft doesn't care about Access, Visio, and Publisher despite being a paid part of Office.

The other major flaw is the color choice of the Outlook icon causing confusion for veteran Office 365 users.

The new icons are meant to somehow reflect these changes. The letters adorning each icon have been reduced in size, with the remainder of the space used to show a highly stylized representation of the application. The colors are a bit brighter, too. Oddly, there are already some inconsistencies in the designs; OneDrive doesn't have a letter at all (it's just a cloud), and Skype uses the old proportions, with a letter that's much bigger than any of the others.

Access and Publisher aren't featured among the new icons, because although Microsoft continues to distribute them, the applications are all functionally abandonware, in pure maintenance mode. Project and Visio are also omitted. Visio sees only occasional new features (the differences between Visio 2016 and 2019 are insubstantial), and Microsoft is in the process of rebuilding Project from the ground up, with a greater focus on the cloud and integration with Office 365. Neither app seems to have been mentioned in the descriptions of the new look-and-feel that Microsoft is working on.

Overall I think they look nice enough, but alas, they fail to remedy the big mistake made back in 2013. The Outlook icon remains stubbornly blue, when all long-time Outlook users know it should be orange-gold. I'm forever losing Outlook among a sea of blue icons—Word, Edge, OneDrive, Teams, Yammer, and Skype—and yearn for a return to the golden glory days. Sadly, Microsoft has ignored my plea.

I'm surprised they didn't update the Access and Publisher icons as these programs are still fairly popular among education and other areas.

And I hope Microsoft fixes the flaws in these new icons.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Oneplus 7T (Mid 2021 to present), HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present)

Samaritan XTXH (Early 2021 Upgrade - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (12C/24T)  (2021) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  AMD Radeon RX 6700XT 12GB (Mid 2021), Corsair RM850i PSU, Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler (2021), Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML120 x2 (2021)

I'd be surprised, but consistency has never been Microsoft's thing.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.” — Horacio Jones

TLDR: People cant stand change

I love the new icons and of course Skype and Onedrive look different. Look at the icons and what they are designed around, their design follows suite. I see nothing wrong here other than people complaining about change.

Are you going to make me read the article to find out what the major flaw is? I think you're burying the lead here by not including it in your post.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Are you going to make me read the article to find out what the major flaw is? I think you're burying the lead here by not including it in your post.

I already mentioned one of the major flaws.

That's because at this point Microsoft doesn't care about Access, Visio, and Publisher despite being a paid part of Office.

None of those 3 apps have gotten new icons. 

and I mentioned another major flaw

The other major flaw is the color choice of the Outlook icon causing confusion for veteran Office 365 users.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Oneplus 7T (Mid 2021 to present), HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present)

Samaritan XTXH (Early 2021 Upgrade - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT (12C/24T)  (2021) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  AMD Radeon RX 6700XT 12GB (Mid 2021), Corsair RM850i PSU, Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler (2021), Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML120 x2 (2021)

You and I have completely different definitions of the word flaw then, cosmetic decisions aren't considered flaws by most people. :D

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

You and I have completely different definitions of the word flaw then, cosmetic decisions aren't considered flaws by most people. :D

I'm just using the Title that ArsTechnica provides xD.

Can you confirm that Office 2016 keeps the former icons or will I have to do something I haven't done since Windows XP days, changing the icon manually to something else on the taskbar?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700KF @ 5.0Ghz (5.1Ghz 4-core) |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490 UD |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX @ 2666Mhz CL13 |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 20 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Certain people not liking them is hardly a major flaw. 

Access likely wasn't redesigned as it's only incorporated into Office 365 for Business and PC only, as is Publisher (which will no doubt be ditched at some point). Visio Online is a separate service to 365.

The extract you quote contradicts your title, as it actually gives some possible reasons for Microsoft excluding certain applications, rather than because they 'don't care' about the 'major flaws' 

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong.