Gigabyte GTX 650 OC 1GB memory overclocking "problems"

Mycielski
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

Colorful artifacts means instability. Unfortunately you have not won any silicon lottery.

Hi guys!

Just wanted to ask you, about my overclocking experience of a GTX 650. It's in an old rig, with a Core2Quad and with 8GB of DDR2.

A few days ago I started to OC the card, with the trusty old method. I fired up Afterburner, and GPU-Z to check real numbers, and Unigine Heaven to test.

I started to increase the core clock (step by step by +10MHz) on stock voltages, then when there were a crash, I started to increase the voltage. I achieved a mild OC, at +37mV (that's the max on this card) I got a stable OC of +155 MHz on core. Then with further testing I decided to dial it back to +140 MHz. I got about a 7% increase in performance according to Heaven scores, so I was quite happy with the result.

Then I started to increase the memory clock also. And this is when I run into "problems".

I started to increase the memory clocks with the +37mV, and +140MHz on core, step by step, by +10MHz increments. Everything was all good, until I reached +80MHz. Then in the middle of the benchmark in Heaven, some red coloured space invaders appeared, and the screen freezed, then I got a black screen (I had to force restart the machine). Now I run it with a known stable (2-3 hours of Heaven) +60MHz on memory.

My main question is, that this phenomenon means, that I reached the end of memory clock OC? Just asking it, because I searched about OC result regarding THIS card, and some achieved  more than 200MHz on memory... I know that every card differs, but this +60MHz seems to be a bad joke...

What's your opinion about this? I went with the wrong method, I should only push memory clock, with stock core freq and voltages? Please skilled overclockers, give me some advise!

Thanks for your help, in advance!

Colorful artifacts means instability. Unfortunately you have not won any silicon lottery.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

As far as I researched this topic, even with artifacts the card should produce images, but mine is locked as soon as the red "space invaders" appeared. Or I am wrong?

I know :D But I'm still interested in the topic...

It looked a bit like this one, but in red, and my rig's video output is locked up (the machine itself continues to work).

(Pic is from some EVGA forum)

gpu_artifact.jpg

Edited by Mycielski