Considering a new PCbuild, could use your advice!

Bogus Bill

Hi All!

I've been thinking about building myself a new PC for some time now, but haven't been in the scene for a few years so I thought to hit the forums.

1. Budget & Location
 The Netherlands. My budget is around 1000,- Euro's (~1135,- USD), able to add few hundreds if justified. This budget is pure for PC building, no peripherals needed.

2. Aim
I'd like my new setup to run a M.2 NVME drive (250 or 500gb) in a mid-tower case. I do not really have a preferred brand (as to AMD/Intel or Ati/Nvidia), just best price to performance ratio (Altho my monitor is a MSI Optix MAG27c, if that's important in any way). I do not care for RGB Lighting, but would like a matching ecstatic in my build (for instance; all red and black).

The use for this setup is primarily gaming, al tho I do not play a lot of heavy games. Heaviest I played is probably GTAV which ran fine on my old setup, but did definitely show that my system is somewhat outdated.

My old setup is (in case you guys think i should carry something into my new build in stead of buying something new);
CoolerMaster Silencio550 containing;
Motherboard ASUS P8H67 Rev3
PSU Zalman 80+ 600w
CPU Intel q-CoreI5-2400 3.10GHz
GPU MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 760
Memory 2x Kingston 4gb(total 8gb), DDR3
Storage 1x WD 500gb HDD Sata(which I will use in my new setup for larger files), 1x Samsung 120gb SSD Sata and 1x Corsair 120gb SSD Sata (could use these two as well in my new rigg, but as a reminder I'd like a M.2 NVME SSD).

Thank you all in advance! Complete lists are favored over individual products. If you'd like to suggest/debunk/replace something on someone else's list, please explain why

~Bogus

Edited by Bogus Bill
more in line with the rules

bring over all the storage you have in your old pc build 

a bit over your budget

If you want to fit in your budget you could go with a 1070 and maybe get it to fit I decided to go with a 2070 (you might be able to find a used 1080 for a better price) due to the fact that i believe that the performance benefit is worth it

Something like this? Prices are from Germany so maybe some stuff may be more expensive if you're not from germany.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€157.90 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€85.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€122.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€71.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card  (€399.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  (€76.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€78.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €993.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-04 04:06 CET+0100

I didn't grab an NVMe SSD because for what you'll be doing (storing OS, apps, games, etc.) it's really not worth it. There will be little to no difference between an NVMe ssd and a solid SATA SSD like the mx500

https://techreport.com/review/30813/samsung-960-pro-2tb-ssd-reviewed/5

I chose a Vega 56 because your monitor has freesync, so I think that'd be a good thing to take advantage of. Also, you might have some options for the case. I'm not sure if you want a window or not or what specific aesthetics you'd like so I just chose the define s which is a pretty solid all around case. If you want something more flashy (or with rgb?) or with a windows you might want something else.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

27 minutes ago, Happycowdance said:

bring over all the storage you have in your old pc build 

a bit over your budget

If you want to fit in your budget you could go with a 1070 and maybe get it to fit I decided to go with a 2070 (you might be able to find a used 1080 for a better price) due to the fact that i believe that the performance benefit is worth it

£140 for PSU is crazy in this price range. He will do fine with bronze cert for less than half that amount.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 hour ago, Thony said:

£140 for PSU is crazy in this price range. He will do fine with bronze cert for less than half that amount.

wow i didnt notice the price I just choose the 650w one  cause thats what i would choose normally

@Bogus Bill go with what he suggested and find one for half the price

6 hours ago, Happycowdance said:

wow i didnt notice the price I just choose the 650w one  cause thats what i would choose normally

@Bogus Bill go with what he suggested and find one for half the price

Big Thanks for the replies!

My current PSU wil do me no good in a/the new build? Also; If I check my current GPU comparing it with RX580 via Google, it show's only 15 to 18% performance increase, is that even worth getting a new GPU for? I know GPU is important and that I want games to be a little more crisp, just wondering if few hundred bucks is worth the 15% upgrade.

2 hours ago, Bogus Bill said:

My current PSU wil do me no good in a/the new build?

It would work but a new one would be suggested. I don't know of any 80+ standard units that are good quality so I'm pretty sure yours isn't great. Plus, a new one would be quieter, more efficient, and be less difficult to build with due to modular cables.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

18 hours ago, DocSwag said:

It would work but a new one would be suggested. I don't know of any 80+ standard units that are good quality so I'm pretty sure yours isn't great. Plus, a new one would be quieter, more efficient, and be less difficult to build with due to modular cables.

Check!
How about the GPU? Am I just a baboon thinking that 15% increase is not much or is the site just not accurate?

6 hours ago, Bogus Bill said:

Check!
How about the GPU? Am I just a baboon thinking that 15% increase is not much or is the site just not accurate?

15% seems way off. A 580 would be on average over twice as fast lol

Also you could check prices for yourself but a 590 may not cost too much more and would probably be 10-15% faster than a 580

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler