144hz monitor help.

DrewRevan
Go to solution Solved by DrewRevan,
On 12/7/2018 at 5:17 AM, Glenwing said:

A mismatch between RGB and YCbCr would be very obvious, many colors would be completely different (dark grey would become green, white would become bright pink, etc.) It wouldn't cause subtle things like what the OP is seeing.

Using YCbCr mode on an RGB input image looks like this:

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_20181207_021205943.jpg

The kind of text fringing the OP is seeing could be caused by poor subpixel rendering settings (incorrect ClearType setup), but could also be from image filters applied by the monitor, such as sharpness setting or things like that. The colors all look crisp now, but i am trying to figure out why i am only gettin 80-90 frames in overwatch and destiny when i used to be getting 140 no problem. w

I went into my settings and for some reason it was set to YCBCR, i switched it to RGB and every thing seems good. 

I am really knew to the 144hz monitor game. I just got an MSI Optix MAG241C. I hooked everything up and installed the latest drivers, but i am running into some issues. 

I am noticing that there is a bit of ghosting or shadowing of my text. It almost gives it a blue like tint. I have looked for videos, but what i found was some suggesting that i make changes to registry. 

I am not sure what it is or how to fix it. I am hoping someone here can help me figure it out. I am using the factory DP cable that came in the box. 

Thanks, 

Specs

Asus z170-a

intel i5-6500

16gb crucial 2400 ram

Asus gtx 1060 6gb 

Let's start with making sure your new monitor is running at the correct resolution, open Nvidia Control panel and make sure you have the correct resolution and refresh rate for your monitor selected.

After that, I'm guessing that since you notice the problem on text, it might be a scaling issue.

To fix this issue, head to Start => Settings => System => Display tab

Find the Scale and layout section and set the value of scaling to 100% for your monitor.

Let us know if this works out.

I pulled up my display settings and my scaling is 100%, my resolution is 1920 x 1080 at 144hz. 

Everything seems to be a tad but hazed, like there is a shadow. Could it be because my extended monitor is only capable of running at 60hz? When i slide things over to that screen, all the letters look crisp, but when i move it back to my msi they all have a strange color twinge. 

1 hour ago, DrewNerdiculous said:

I pulled up my display settings and my scaling is 100%, my resolution is 1920 x 1080 at 144hz. 

Everything seems to be a tad but hazed, like there is a shadow. Could it be because my extended monitor is only capable of running at 60hz? When i slide things over to that screen, all the letters look crisp, but when i move it back to my msi they all have a strange color twinge. 

Alright. Try running ClearType, I don't think it's an issue with your refresh rate but maybe a problem with an INF file not reading your monitor settings when you installed the nvidia drivers.

So i ran the clear type, and i deselected it in windows, and it cleared up on the desktop, but i still see it when i am looking on websites, the lettering looks thin and there is still an oilslick style sheen. I may try to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them cause i am really not sure. My coworker said it might be a setting in the monitor that i need to change.

I realize that these photos are a bit junky, but i feel like i might just be crazy. the first photo shows the lettering with some color twinges while the one on the right doesn't show that. I hope it comes through for you where you can see the difference in letter coloring. Maybe its me and it usually looks like that with a higher hz monitor. 

IMG_20181206_190127.jpg

IMG_20181206_190135.jpg

I had the same issue with my monitor, only to find out the reason it was happening is because I was using HDMI, not Display Port. Display Port is what is needed to run 144hz and the regular image. HDMI bottlenecks the monitor. Do you have displayport plugged in? If so than I'm not sure.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

4 hours ago, DrewRevan said:

So i ran the clear type, and i deselected it in windows, and it cleared up on the desktop, but i still see it when i am looking on websites, the lettering looks thin and there is still an oilslick style sheen. I may try to uninstall the drivers and reinstall them cause i am really not sure. My coworker said it might be a setting in the monitor that i need to change.

I realize that these photos are a bit junky, but i feel like i might just be crazy. the first photo shows the lettering with some color twinges while the one on the right doesn't show that. I hope it comes through for you where you can see the difference in letter coloring. Maybe its me and it usually looks like that with a higher hz monitor. 

You're definitely not crazy, I see what you're talking about.

I believe this is a mismatch between the color mode that your PC is outputting and the color mode the monitor is using. See if, on your monitor, you have the option to change from RGB to YCbCr, or vice versa. If that doesn't fix it then we'll need to come at it from the PC's end.

5 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

You're definitely not crazy, I see what you're talking about.

I believe this is a mismatch between the color mode that your PC is outputting and the color mode the monitor is using. See if, on your monitor, you have the option to change from RGB to YCbCr, or vice versa. If that doesn't fix it then we'll need to come at it from the PC's end.

A mismatch between RGB and YCbCr would be very obvious, many colors would be completely different (dark grey would become green, white would become bright pink, etc.) It wouldn't cause subtle things like what the OP is seeing.

Spoiler

The kind of text fringing the OP is seeing could be caused by poor subpixel rendering settings (incorrect ClearType setup), but could also be from image filters applied by the monitor, such as sharpness setting or things like that.

I will play around with it and see if i can figure it out. I know i can adjust the color settings in the monitor. Thanks for the help, i will update when i get a chance to check them out

On 12/6/2018 at 9:51 PM, mxk. said:

I had the same issue with my monitor, only to find out the reason it was happening is because I was using HDMI, not Display Port. Display Port is what is needed to run 144hz and the regular image. HDMI bottlenecks the monitor. Do you have displayport plugged in? If so than I'm not sure.

I am using displayport, i was afraid that maybe the one i got from MSI was just a bad one that was causing the issue. 

1 minute ago, DrewRevan said:

I am using displayport, i was afraid that maybe the one i got from MSI was just a bad one that was causing the issue. 

is "the one" the cable for the monitor? I don't usually recommend using the cables they give you for reasons like this. I got a good cable with the monitor I bought so I got lucky.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

On 12/7/2018 at 5:17 AM, Glenwing said:

Reveal hidden contents

The kind of text fringing the OP is seeing could be caused by poor subpixel rendering settings (incorrect ClearType setup), but could also be from image filters applied by the monitor, such as sharpness setting or things like that. The colors all look crisp now, but i am trying to figure out why i am only gettin 80-90 frames in overwatch and destiny when i used to be getting 140 no problem. w

I went into my settings and for some reason it was set to YCBCR, i switched it to RGB and every thing seems good. 

Yea, i am just trying to understand it better. I am getting 80fps on overwatch and 100 on destiny2 and i used to get 120+ on overwatch. i am thinking it might be a setting change.