Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Apu + graphics card confusion (overthinking maybe)

glitchgodprime

AMD A10 7870K (not overclocked)

cpu details

GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN-WIFI FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

motherboard details

1 monitor (1080p but currently all games look flat)

800watt power supply

1 240gb  samsung evo SSD

1 1tb HDD 

1 120MM AIO

My sister wants to play Red Dead Redemption 2 and expects some amazing graphics, now i know the APU does somewhat enough but not enough for red dead and with christmas around the corner why not an actual graphics card?

Issue is im comfused on adding a graphics card to the APU.

Im finding issues,

1)  Finding mix reports that i can pop in any graphics cards and it all works

2) Cant find an actual list of actual graphics cards that can work with this APU if their is such a list.

3) im finding people saying that this APU doesnt support an additional graphics

The apu is old, she is not a hard core gamer so 4k hdr is not needed but i think i can give her something nicer then what she has.

Anyone know if i can add a gpu and the rules governing it?

Unfortunately if you go and buy a decent graphics card, it'll probably not be able to reach its full potential when paired with this CPU because of how old it is.

2 minutes ago, glitchgodprime said:

im finding people saying that this APU doesnt support an additional graphics

The confusion with this might relate to the fact that you can't mix the graphics capability of the apu and the GPU, but any graphics card should work.

Here's the best strategy:

Get yourself an RX 570 from eBay since they're pretty cheap ($130 about) and then if task manager says your CPU is at 100% while gaming then you should get a new CPU and motherboard too. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, glitchgodprime said:

Red Dead 2 isn't on PC and probably won't be for a while

If you're wondering what GPU to use, just buy a cheap RX 570 which are $150 or less sometimes and comes with some free games currently.

The CPU will "bottleneck" it, but will most likely still hit at least 50-60 fps in games.

If you're wondering about used GPU find a cheap radeon GPU that's like a 370 or better

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Red Dead 2 is currently PS4/PS4 Pro only.

If/when we get a PC port, that system isn't likely to be a nice experience. If you were to get a dedicated video card for that system, the graphics portion on the APU effectively go unused. In  some cases this can help with CPU performance because the power/thermal limitations are only a factor with the CPU portion.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

5 minutes ago, glitchgodprime said:

My sister wants to play Red Dead Redemption 2

I don't think RDR2 is on pc, soooooooooo

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

3 minutes ago, Fez_Boy said:

I don't think RDR2 is on pc, soooooooooo

Fair point, honestly I play BLIZZARD mostly

but still nicer computer for christmas? nothing wrong with that :)

10 minutes ago, glitchgodprime said:

Fair point, honestly I play BLIZZARD mostly

but still nicer computer for christmas? nothing wrong with that :)

You disable the APU graphics, install pretty much and GPU, and its off to the races.

That CPU will not be able to push more than a RX 560 or GTX 1050 though.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

You disable the APU graphics, install pretty much and GPU, and its off to the races.

That CPU will not be able to push more than a RX 560 or GTX 1050 though.

You can still run games at higher settings with an RX 570 or above, the APU would be perfectly fine for even 4k gaming if you had a good enough GPU.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

You can still run games at higher settings with an RX 570 or above, the APU would be perfectly fine for even 4k gaming if you had a good enough GPU.

No.  FX 4100 at 5ghz bottlenecks an RX 560 is pretty much every game at 1080p.

That CPU is significantly slower, and the OCd 4100 could not hit 30fps in some instances.  Construction series cores are god awful.

29 minutes ago, glitchgodprime said:

AMD A10 7870K (not overclocked)

cpu details

GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XN-WIFI FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

motherboard details

1 monitor (1080p but currently all games look flat)

800watt power supply

1 240gb  samsung evo SSD

1 1tb HDD 

1 120MM AIO

My sister wants to play Red Dead Redemption 2 and expects some amazing graphics, now i know the APU does somewhat enough but not enough for red dead and with christmas around the corner why not an actual graphics card?

Issue is im comfused on adding a graphics card to the APU.

Im finding issues,

1)  Finding mix reports that i can pop in any graphics cards and it all works

2) Cant find an actual list of actual graphics cards that can work with this APU if their is such a list.

3) im finding people saying that this APU doesnt support an additional graphics

The apu is old, she is not a hard core gamer so 4k hdr is not needed but i think i can give her something nicer then what she has.

Anyone know if i can add a gpu and the rules governing it?

Ok so from my experiences , used a AM4 A10-9700 for a starter cpu to get into the AM4 platform last year due to budgets, when using AMD's APU's you usally have the option to add on basiclly any gpu that the motherboard and power supply support( power for the add on gpu card will depend on model). Just about any card will do and an RX570 or RX580 8gb ($100-$175usd) used off ebay or new from newegg ($199+) would get you some miliage. To best figure out how bottlenecked your system would be go to www bottleneck calculator com and plug in her setup to get an idea as to how far that apu will scale due to its limited cpu power. In my case (just upgradded :-)) I had a A10-9700 16gb ddr4 and an HD7970 I had gotten. It said I was 1% bottlenecked but real world tested showed the gpu will still a little weaker then the APU a little bit. Hope this helps 

11 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

That CPU will run most games at 45-50fps that's not unplayable or anything

An i9 9900K will bottleneck games at 200fps

Spoiler

XFX Radeon RX 560 4GB DDR5 1295MHz RX-560P4SFGR

xfx link

what you all think?

it fits the RX 560 that seems to be what is highly suggested,

and 4gb DDR5 seems to be the highest available across all brands

xfx is my preferred brand.  gigabyte  seems to also have nice models but i have never had a gigabyte card work nicely in my systems, (whole other issue, but thats for a different post)

12 minutes ago, glitchgodprime said:

Grab an RX 570 at minimum most likely if you're buying a new GPU in the US

$140, comes with resident evil 2 remake, and DMC5

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131717&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Spoiler

If you want to go that route check into a used Rx580 that is the 4gb option if your in the U.S.A and comfortable with Ebay , maybe even facebook as a lot of areas have had the mining craze bust due to power costs. I Just picked up an XFX Rx580 GTR black edition 8gb with the 1425mhz oc for $150 shipped from a miner that parted out his setup. Might want to check into how much ram you got on your system and see if it ideal to do a major upgrade or just minor for the chipset your working with. A minor upgrade like ram and so forth might be cheaper short term for a little boost.