Windows 10 Revised October Update (November) strikes Surface Book 2 Owners randomly with BSOD

Maticks
14 minutes ago, yian88 said:

microsoft its such a cunt,  this   could  have  beeen 100  times easier if  they didnt implement  uwp   and force  a hybrid  windows  its almoost   like win 8.0 never happened,  they learned  nothing  from it,  8.0 was pure trash until they managed to  fix it  a year later with  8.1

everywhere i look in windows  its  just full of   bloatware and increasing with every update,  there isnt  even  a shred of memeory mannagement,   frsh   booot  and os is eating  2.5/3gb ram with nothing open,  its ridiculous

Yea, no. Sorry. I don't get where you get that. Windows 10 memory management adapts to your system. It is impossible that "nothing is running" and it consumes 2.5GB out of 3GB of RAM. I am sure you have plenty of shit drivers and startup programs installed and running on the back. You are not going to convince anyone with this argument.

As for "bloat", programs consume more memory if they are loaded, simple as that. Now yes, program themselves that contains more feature MAY consume more processing power and/or memory in order to deliver that new feature but that is why you can't run Chrome on a 486 computer, or even a Pentium 1, 2 or even 3, at least not any speed superior than a PowerPoint presentation. Like your games you need more computational power to enjoy the increase. That said, Windows 10 does run on ARM based CPUs, including people made it run on a Raspberry Pi 3, a $35 system and it lacks any drivers, including USB and it drive controller making the thing load ages, but once loaded the CPU is not pushed near its max when interacting with the CPU, , and that runs with a mighty 1GB of RAM, bellow Windows 10 system requirements for the 64-bit version. I am not going to say, that even if it has drivers it will run anywhere near flying colors, but my point is that it isn't how you make it sound. So no, Windows 10 isn't "full of bloatware"

21 minutes ago, Maticks said:

Correct its hard to tell, but given that removing the update seems to fix the issue. it could be a combination of the update and something else that was changed.

I honestly would have expected a few things.

1.) this should have been tested by Microsoft in house on their own hardware before pushing he update out.

2.) this should have been rolled out to Microsoft Insider to identify the issue or at very least beta testing the update.

OH I am not denying that it has to do with the update. I am just mentioning that it seems it is a compatibility issue between driver and this latest update.

And I don't disagree 1 moment that this should have been tested. They should have a lab with all the models of the Surface Book 2, and by model I don't mean only the core i5/i7 model and such, but also hardware revision. If you have Core i5, 256GB SSD, Nvidia GPU model with Marvel Wireless revision B, you have it next to the Core i5, 256GB SSD, Nvidia GPU model with Marvel Wireless revision A that was put into the system. Yes it can be a heck of a lab with many systems, but this isn't your typical 500$ system. And the whole point of Microsoft delivering drivers updates via Windows Update is to ensure that they have done the testing, and ensure a great, solid experience, the best experience out of Windows. This is a major screw up that would definitely hurt the image of the Surface brand.

Wouldn't use windows update for drivers anyway...

The vendor ones are enough 

Unless your vendor is Microsoft and you own a surface 

hmm could this happen with newer hardware? i'm still using z97 and 4690k, so far nothing happen to me

Update:

Microsoft acknowledged the issue and set a block to the update for Surface Book 2 users.

Fix is coming this December as a security update.

Microsoft recommends to uninstall the cumulative update to get the system back up and running properly.

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-acknowledges-surface-book-2-issues-with-latest-cumulative-update

On 12/4/2018 at 11:10 AM, GoodBytes said:

Yea, no. Sorry. I don't get where you get that. Windows 10 memory management adapts to your system. It is impossible that "nothing is running" and it consumes 2.5GB out of 3GB of RAM. I am sure you have plenty of shit drivers and startup programs installed and running on the back. You are not going to convince anyone with this argument.

As for "bloat", programs consume more memory if they are loaded, simple as that. Now yes, program themselves that contains more feature MAY consume more processing power and/or memory in order to deliver that new feature but that is why you can't run Chrome on a 486 computer, or even a Pentium 1, 2 or even 3, at least not any speed superior than a PowerPoint presentation. Like your games you need more computational power to enjoy the increase. That said, Windows 10 does run on ARM based CPUs, including people made it run on a Raspberry Pi 3, a $35 system and it lacks any drivers, including USB and it drive controller making the thing load ages, but once loaded the CPU is not pushed near its max when interacting with the CPU, , and that runs with a mighty 1GB of RAM, bellow Windows 10 system requirements for the 64-bit version. I am not going to say, that even if it has drivers it will run anywhere near flying colors, but my point is that it isn't how you make it sound. So no, Windows 10 isn't "full of bloatware"

Tablet with 4GB of RAM. Right after a complete factory reset and no default apps running (closed through resource manager), nearly 2GB RAM usage. Windows 7 in the same situation, sub 800-900MB RAM usage. Even Windows 8.1 is better for RAM usage and at the same time isn't complete arse when it comes to its tablet UI.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Microsoft? Here's some advice. 

Don't commit to yearly feature updates if it breaks OS stability 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Tablet with 4GB of RAM. Right after a complete factory reset and no default apps running (closed through resource manager), nearly 2GB RAM usage. Windows 7 in the same situation, sub 800-900MB RAM usage. Even Windows 8.1 is better for RAM usage and at the same time isn't complete arse when it comes to its tablet UI.

Well that is the problem you have the OEM bloat.

I have a desktop with 6GB of RAM in 3 sticks (2GB each - triple channel).

Here is the system with 6GB of RAM:

Capture4.PNG

And here it is with 2GB of RAM only.

Capture3.PNG

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Well that is the problem you have the OEM bloat.

I have a desktop with 6GB of RAM in 3 sticks (2GB each - triple channel).

Here is the system with 6GB of RAM:

Capture4.PNG

And here it is with 2GB of RAM only.

Capture3.PNG

None of the OEM apps were open, and being Samsung they were only:

• Scrap Box
  • Show Window
  • Samsung Flow

With W10 I've had to remove the following bloatware and still see high memory usage:

1. Caesar Slots
  2. Candy Crush Saga
  3. Bubble Witch
  4. Twitter
  5. Office 365 Installer
  6. Xbox Live/Game bar

Microsoft at this point is getting as bad as the worst OEM when it comes to bloat.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Caesar Slots

1. Candy Crush Saga
  2. Bubble Witch
  3. Twitter
  4. Office 365 Installer
  5. Xbox Live/Game bar

Well, none of those, beside Game Bar, if enabled. consume any RAM when they are not opened. RAM are only consumed by programs that are currently running on the system. So all you gain is a bit of disk space.

On the Task Manager screen shots, my setup is stock Windows 10, with Cortana enabled. I didn't go out of my way to disable things. Telemetry is set to Full, if you wonder. I use Windows default built-in anti-virus, if you wonder, if it is of any help.

That is all I can say (especially that we are going off topic), but perhaps, if you have free time, an investigation may be needed on your side. Keep in mind that drivers consume RAM as well, so that may be factor that may not be fixable.

On 12/4/2018 at 1:30 PM, RyomaSJibenG said:

hmm could this happen with newer hardware? i'm still using z97 and 4690k, so far nothing happen to me

No. Because this issue is only on surface books

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒