1TB MX500 slow write speed?

crystal6tak

Recently bought a brand new 1TB Crucial MX500.

Sequential write speed seems a bit off, any idea why?

XMJ9lUS.png

I've tried 2 different sata ports on my motherboard, same result.

AS SSD is even worse:

8igvPRa.png

It's partitioned as GPT and NTFS

MY C drive (Samsung 860 evo 256gb) for comparison:

l7O8xs9.png

?!?!?!

The drive is DRAM-less if I am not mistaken, when you check the specs you'll see it doesn't mention it has its own DRAM cache. An SSD type DRAM-less is bad for Garbage Collection. Like normal DRAM the SSD will put data there wipes it out later because is a copy of a file and it is not needed, but SSDs that lack its own RAM miss this feature, you can read more here:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Can you verify the benchmark speed by copying a really large file to the SSD? It can be within the SSD or from another SSD (that you know works well)

If it's not hitting at least 400MB/sec, then I would say the SSD is faulty.

Ok just tried with an 8gb file, it went 489mb/s for 0.5 seconds then dropped to 786kb/s, then froze. And froze most of the OS. Couldn't load any webpage or shut down. I think it's faulty then...

On 12/3/2018 at 11:43 AM, seagate_surfer said:

The drive is DRAM-less if I am not mistaken, when you check the specs you'll see it doesn't mention it has its own DRAM cache. An SSD type DRAM-less is bad for Garbage Collection. Like normal DRAM the SSD will put data there wipes it out later because is a copy of a file and it is not needed, but SSDs that lack its own RAM miss this feature, you can read more here:

MX500 has Dram, it's the BX500 that is dramless

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

13 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

MX500 has Dram, it's the BX500 that is dramless

Oh okay, thanks for the information! And on what page are you seeing this?

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

3 minutes ago, seagate_surfer said:

Oh okay, thanks for the information! And on what page are you seeing this?

The MX500 uses an SM2258 which uses DRAM. the 2258XT in the BX500 is the DRAMless variant

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11764/silicon-motion-roadmap-lots-of-nvme-ssd-controllers

Currently, most SSDs using Silicon Motion controllers feature either the SM2258 SATA controller or the SM2260 NVMe controller. The SM2258XT is a DRAMless variant of the SM2258.

In this BX500 review they mention that the MX500 has DRAM built in and that the BX500 uses the SM2258XT, the dramless variant

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8744/crucial-bx500-ssd-review-fewer-components-lower-prices/index.html

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Oh ok! Surely someone will take advantage of this information. Thanks for sharing!