Really Hot GTX 1080 Strix

ArcticEngineer

I just bought a gtx 1080 off eBay for 330$ the guy said it was used for just light gaming. I brought it home, installed it into my system, and I noticed it was really hot. This was after 5 - 10 minutes of fortnite, but the metal backplate got really warm, to the point where it was a bit uncomfortable to touch. I haven’t had a “high end” GPU until now, but I don’t know if this is normal. I’m at around 65 C to 70 C with a 1835 MHz. I believe this card can go all the way up to 2000mhz no problem.

Thanks for any help

What case are you using?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

14 minutes ago, ArcticEngineer said:

I’m at around 65 C to 70 C

that's not *that* hot, from my experience asus is quite lenient with fan curves as well.

also, you may want a case with at least decent airflow. which case are you using now?

Yeah, we will need bit more info, like what's your case, case fans config, what's the load like at those temperatures

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

That's quite normal. I can't really touch my backplate at all on my 980ti. The temps are a bit high for the clocks imo 

That's an F in the profile pic

22 minutes ago, ArcticEngineer said:

I just bought a gtx 1080 off eBay for 330$ the guy said it was used for just light gaming. I brought it home, installed it into my system, and I noticed it was really hot. This was after 5 - 10 minutes of fortnite, but the metal backplate got really warm, to the point where it was a bit uncomfortable to touch. I haven’t had a “high end” GPU until now, but I don’t know if this is normal. I’m at around 65 C to 70 C with a 1835 MHz. I believe this card can go all the way up to 2000mhz no problem.

Thanks for any help

thats normal but still a bit high. could be old paste or more likely your case has poor air flow either needing to get more cool air in or not getting the hot air out in time. id look into that first

28 minutes ago, ArcticEngineer said:

Thanks for any help

it's normal the plate will get too hot to touch, 100% normal...and your temps are absolutely fine.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'm more interested on where you found a 1080 for that cheap tbh. Over here in Germany the absolutely cheapest one I could find on the spot was still about 100$ more expensive than yours... ._.

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Try a more serious and better game instead of shitty game like Porknite, that game doesn't look good.

Serious games tends to make GPU's hotter than kiddy games. With that way, you can test if the GPU is not working broken.

And who buys a GTX1080 "just for light gaming"? Ye, sorry but I'm skeptical. I didn't buy my 1080Ti just for light gaming.

For light gaming, GTX1050Ti would be plenty or RX560.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Sounds like a normal strix to me. Ramp the fans up and get some nice case fans and turn those up too.

Don't know why you would think a back plate wouldn't be hot?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz