Why can't I game through remote desktop?

skillz22

I have a computer that I would remotely like to play games on. The two PCs are on the same wifi network. I attempted to play a game and ran into a few issues. First of all was that my mouse didn't stay in the centre of the screen, which means that I was only able to move in-game as far as my mouse would move within my display on the client side. My second big issue is that the latency is absolutely horrible. The thing that confuses me is that if services like shadow can operate properly on clients not even on the same network, why is the latency an issue for me? There are also random drops in fps every once in a while. Is there some sort of Third Party software that could help me in this situation? What's going on?

Thanks

Input Lag.

Magical Pineapples

this really depends on how you do this, steam in-home streaming works well, however others I'm not so sure, you will always have a fair bit of input lag. your home networks speed and if you're using wifi can make that worse.

8 minutes ago, EMC said:

Input Lag.

How can I minimise this?

4 minutes ago, Labeled said:

this really depends on how you do this, steam in-home streaming works well, however others I'm not so sure, you will always have a fair bit of input lag. your home networks speed and if you're using wifi can make that worse.

What if I'm playing a game that's not on steam?

4 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

have a look at steam in home streaming

but still:

on wifi (always a bad idea)

input lag

Again, what if I'm playing a game that's not on steam? Are there any other options?

2 minutes ago, slickboss21 said:

How can I minimise this?

to go and play on cable, but then still...

If I remember correctly RDP doesn't use DirectX so it's not using your GPU to render. Latency and the encryption overhead also make it unfeasible. I wasn't even able to watch YouTube over RDP until I got my latency under 20ms.

-KuJoe

RDP fully support DirectX for the consumer versions of Windows since Windows 8.

You could try using RealVNC which may be able to  stream the screen like OBS would normally do it.

It would work at low resolutions, like let's say 720p

You have to set up a RealVNC server on the computer where you want to run games and then use RealVNC viewer to connect to that pc, like you would use remote desktop connection. You can disable encryption in the server side in order to reduce cpu usage and latency.

While ages ago I have done the fun test to remote play via internet with RDP, You do need high upload speed from your host machine, and download speeds from your client machine. And I did this for fun. RDP isn't designed for game streaming. Never was. Not even to watch a video. Not to mention that RDP apply encryption too. If you want to remote desktop to a Windows powered system RDP is the best tool to use. This include Remote Assistance/Quick Assist, which doesn't logout the current user. The protocol is really good at doing this over the competition.. but it is Windows only.

Anyway, playing games over the internet with RDP is fine for games that doesn't need to lock the mouse on the screen, or doesn't need the mouse to play, and is slow paste. It's not good to play StarCraft on it, it or do any competitive FPS matches what-so-ever.

From what I can tell (and from experience) NEVER use wifi for in-home streaming. You're better off using ethernet, but the 5Ghz band sometimes can work...

From download and upload speeds anyway.

Both my ethernet and 5Ghz band get 210 download and 11 upload

As for games not being on steam, that can be solved by adding the game to your steam library. I don't remember the exact steps, but you can point steam towards the games .exe launcher, and then it shows up in your library.

A big difference between game streaming programs vs other remote applications, may be compression and trans-coding efficiency. Something like teamviewer emphasizes user security and other usability features, whereas steam does all it can to compress and un compress the data.

If you have an nvidia gpu, the Shield TV box/console is a great option.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi