walmart pc video

TheBean
4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

someone build this PC: Intel i7-8700, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, 256GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 for 600USD ?. Please i buy 2 if you tell me how.

My apologies, it was a 50% markup not half the price:

However, my point still stands, unless your know nothing about PC and don't care to build on yourself they are overpriced just like all big box store pc's.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

they aren't overpriced at all. That PC linus had for 1200USD is actually a very competitive price

https://www.walmart.com/nco/OVERPOWERED-Gaming-Desktop-DTW1-Intel-i7-8700-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-256GB-SSD-2TB-HDD-16GB-RAM-Windows-10-V2/537878963

try and build one for less

It is overpriced.

Think of it like this: when you're using pcpartpicker or picking manually parts from sites like newegg or amazon, you're not accounting for the fact that such online stores have a profit margin of anything between let's say 5% and 20-40% ... on some parts there's smaller added margin due to competition and discounts and rebate campaigns, but anyway...

The company that makes these PCs doesn't buy the parts from online stores, they're skipping the middle man and buying straight from distributor... for example, instead of buying a SSD for 40$ a piece from Newegg, they're ordering 500 units of that Adata "OEM only" SSD drive, and let's say the price per unit may be as low as 25$.

Or another example... Intel's price for i5-8600 is $213 if you order 1000 units, but you can buy the cpu at $250 on Newegg

So add the prices of all components and you may find out that you can make the system for maybe 200$ less... that's basically Wallmart's margin. Not profit, because shipping isn't free, they get RMAs, some may be damaged during shippin etc etc ... the company that built those pcs probably makes 50-100$ further by buying the individual parts in volume (250, 500, 1000 at a time)

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

My apologies, it was a 50% markup not half the price

If I'm not mistaken it was a 50% markup on the original price of $1400. Not the $1200 it currently is. *For the one Linus bought.

13 minutes ago, mr moose said:

My apologies, it was a 50% markup not half the price:

However, my point still stands, unless your know nothing about PC and don't care to build on yourself they are overpriced just like all big box store pc's.

the price is 1200usd not 1400usd as they used in that topic, all conclusions are wrong from there. I'm not defending buying one, i'm not a PCMR nut and most of the complaints are not really that relevant to me, like not having usb 3.0 in the front, i have 2 and never used them. Or the single channel memory, not the end of the world really at all, in some scenarios it's even better to have single channel, trust me i did the tests and they are all over the net. But that PSU is really not trustworthy and worst of all no dust filter, that would ended it for me. But overall it's really not overpriced.

2 minutes ago, iiMaagic said:

If I'm not mistaken it was a 50% markup on the original price of $1400. Not the $1200 it currently is. *For the one Linus bought.

The post I linked to built the $1400 model for $930.   I thought Linus bought the $1400 model?

Either way, my original point is that for consumers like us tech enthusiasts it is overpriced, but for people who don't know or care to know how to build one and just want to start playing games then its probably about normal.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

27 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i've used 4 partitions on a 2TB HDD, just as i had 4 partitions when i had 160 GB HDD 11 years ago, it helps me knowing i can compartmentalize things, helps when you want to format a particular drive that i can format it fresh before starting to use it again, it has helped when a portion of drive has a corrupt block, you can use check disk commands on that partition instead of formatting the entire drive.

We used to run 3 partitions with WinXP where pagefile had its own so it wasn't spreading all over the system, especially because defrag apps weren't able to move it. But that's history now, either because fragmentation on HDD's isn't an issue anymore and because of SSD's.

13 minutes ago, asus killer said:

the price is 1200usd not 1400usd as they used in that topic, all conclusions are wrong from there. I'm not defending buying one, i'm not a PCMR nut and most of the complaints are not really that relevant to me, like not having usb 3.0 in the front, i have 2 and never used them. Or the single channel memory, not the end of the world really at all, in some scenarios it's even better to have single channel, trust me i did the tests and they are all over the net. But that PSU is really not trustworthy and worst of all no dust filter, that would ended it for me. But overall it's really not overpriced.

My PC has no dust filters, in fact I've never had dust filters. They have to make money, but wait and see of there's a notable number of returns before judging the PSU.  there is no way for us to know how reliable it is.

EDIT: also forgot mention even at 1200 it's a 33%? markup.  But I am not sure why it is so important to nail down an exact figure.  Over priced is overpriced for a given context.

1 hour ago, iiMaagic said:

You might've had PC building lessons in your IT classes but no-one that I know and myself included never had those lessons. In IT lessons in secondary schools kids learn about office applications and very basic things about computers themselves, they never even go near the insides of an actual computer in class.

College it becomes a little different. Depending on the course you'll have a class that features PC component / building lessons but for the majority of IT courses you wont, and I'd hope that someone doing IT in colleges would know at the very least basic PC building knowledge.

Must be a regional thing then since my school is in Wales and not England. But yeah, you're absolutely right. 

41 minutes ago, mr moose said:

My PC has no dust filters, in fact I've never had dust filters. They have to make money, but wait and see of there's a notable number of returns before judging the PSU.  there is no way for us to know how reliable it is.

EDIT: also forgot mention even at 1200 it's a 33%? markup.  But I am not sure why it is so important to nail down an exact figure.  Over priced is overpriced for a given context.

my point stands, for some usb 3.0 is not an issue, for others dust filters is. Overall most complaints are really not a deal breaker for everyone. If even the PSU doesn't make everyone worry so i guess there isn't a single major issue.

4 hours ago, N1NJ4W4RR10R said:

Only the one's that play fortnite ;)

I play Fortnite, and I know about PC building. Fortnite is not a bad game, it's just that you're bad at it, so you start hating and criticizing it.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

11 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

Are you saying kids don't know about PC building?

Clearly those buying walmart PCs don't. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

How much is Walmart paying everyone to do these reviews? did every one of the mainstream channels had to jump on it? :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

32 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Fortnite is not a bad game, it's just that you're bad at it, so you start hating and criticizing it.

sounds like the words from an SAO sympatizer.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

sounds like the words from an SAO sympatizer.

idk what that is

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

idk what that is

you will know eventually. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

you will know eventually. 

no I won't

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

no I won't

thats exactly what an SAO sympatizer would say.

I never understood partitioning.. it is stupid. if the drive fails everything is gone. Having multiple drives is the best solution, granted that is if can have multiple drives in your system.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

39 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

I never understood partitioning.. it is stupid. if the drive fails everything is gone. Having multiple drives is the best solution, granted that is if can have multiple drives in your system.

It's not about backup. It is about having your personal data on a separate partition (which you can link Documents, Pictures, and so on to it, so your experience is not changed), and have the ability to format/clean install your Windows if it craps out, without having to worry about your personal data.

If you have everything in one partition, and Windows craps out, then you have to go remove the HDD/SSD from the system, plug it into another do a backup of your personal folders, then unplug, plug it back to the system, hope you didn't forget anything, and start Windows install, and format and install Windows clean.This is very helpful if you don't do daily backups, or was just working on something and that isn't backup... and you got infected by a malware or virus for whatever reason.

41 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

It made sense in the times of FAT32 and previous file systems, where a lot of "optimizations" were made to speed things up and reduce the amount of computations the processors had to do ... after all, you were lucky if you had a 486 running at 40 Mhz back then.

So basically lots of things were using powers of 2, and some things were stored in one or two bytes (so 256 or 65536 maximum values etc)...

FAT16 for example allowed maximum 65536 sectors (where a sector was typically 512 bytes) ... when hard drives got bigger than 32 MB what could you do... you went with multiple partitions.

Then FAT32 was invented which uses 4 bytes for sizes, which made sense since processors were 32bit (4 byte) so they worked super fast with groups of 4 bytes. So maximum value was 2^32 bytes or 2 TB maximum for a partition (and each file can be max 2^31 - 1 byte)

Another benefit is using multiple operating systems on a hard drive ... have NTFS for Windows, ext4 or whatever's trendy these days for a Linux and so on ...

9 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

I play Fortnite, and I know about PC building. Fortnite is not a bad game, it's just that you're bad at it, so you start hating and criticizing it.

No, I just strongly disliked it when I played it. Never been a fan of 3rd person shooters in general, and the way gunplay is, I'm just not a fan.

That was also a joke. So customary r/woosh