Looking for a good heatsink under $40

Azotherian

Hello, This is my first post so if this is not the correct location for this question, please let me know (and thank you for the welcoming). I couldn't really find a proper topic for this, but I do have a question: I am upgrading my CPU, mobo, and RAM for Christmas (finally after 11 years!), and I am giving my father my old components (since I won't be using them and his PC is a POS). I want to keep the heatsink I have on there so I don't have to worry about re-applying new paste since I did that a few months ago for mine. I am currently looking for a heatsink that will work as well, if not better than the current heatsink I have for under $40 since that is my limit. Here is a list of parts I have:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.1GHz

Heatsink: ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Mobo: MSI H67MA-E35 (B3) H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX

And here is the list of parts that will replace those (that I have so far):

Mobo: ASRock Z270 KILLER SLI/AC

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500

TLDR; Need a new heatsink for under $40 (unless the current one is fine, then I'll order that one again) that is better or equivalent to current heatsink.

Thank you for taking the time to read this poorly crafted post!

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Best budget cooler i'm aware of.

Current Rig:

Core i5 9600k

MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC

Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (4x 8gb)

Samsung 970 EVO 250gb m.2 SSD

WD Blue 1TB HDD

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Cooler Master Masterbox 5 White

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

Secondary/Backup rig

AMD Ryzen 3 2200g

16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz DDR4

MSI yada yada B450

Corsair CX650m

Corsair 275x

XFX Radeon 560X 4gig

240gb SanDisk SSD

7 minutes ago, 1000donny said:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Best budget cooler i'm aware of.

Well, good choise, but disagree. Inside that budget a artic freezer 33 esports one will be better

Current Rig:

Core i5 9600k

WD Blue 1TB HDD

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

Secondary/Backup rig

AMD Ryzen 3 2200g

MSI yada yada B450

Corsair CX650m

Corsair 275x

XFX Radeon 560X 4gig

240gb SanDisk SSD

Current Rig:

Core i5 9600k

WD Blue 1TB HDD

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

Secondary/Backup rig

AMD Ryzen 3 2200g

MSI yada yada B450

Corsair CX650m

Corsair 275x

XFX Radeon 560X 4gig

240gb SanDisk SSD

Just now, 1000donny said:

Okay. I see... we can go on in a big debate, but the 212 and esports one are about the best you can get valuewise. There's more to it then just the company it came from. Like it is with every single component

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

Okay. I see... we can go on in a big debate, but the 212 and esports one are about the best you can get valuewise. There's more to it then just the company it came from. Like it is with every single component

True. Being myself, i'd go with the 212 because most of the build videos I see are budget based, and they include 212's. Looking on newegg the 212 is $29.99, and the esports one is $39.99. If you're looking to save money get the 212. If you want the esports one, then go for it. I dont care honestly, but those are the best budget coolers you can get probably..

Current Rig:

Core i5 9600k

WD Blue 1TB HDD

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

Secondary/Backup rig

AMD Ryzen 3 2200g

MSI yada yada B450

Corsair CX650m

Corsair 275x

XFX Radeon 560X 4gig

240gb SanDisk SSD

1 minute ago, 1000donny said:

True. Being myself, i'd go with the 212 because most of the build videos I see are budget based, and they include 212's. Looking on newegg the 212 is $29.99, and the esports one is $39.99. If you're looking to save money get the 212. If you want the esports one, then go for it. I dont care honestly, but those are the best budget coolers you can get probably..

Well, let me put it this way. There is a tr version of it. For 40 bucks too. And it can keep it cool. Just imagine it on a 7400

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

Well, let me put it this way. There is a tr version of it. For 40 bucks too. And it can keep it cool. Just imagine it on a 7400

Now with that you have a point. But to be honest, without proper testing we can't determine the best one. But yes, if it can cool a TR, then it can cool anything.

Current Rig:

Core i5 9600k

WD Blue 1TB HDD

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

Secondary/Backup rig

AMD Ryzen 3 2200g

MSI yada yada B450

Corsair CX650m

Corsair 275x

XFX Radeon 560X 4gig

240gb SanDisk SSD

2 minutes ago, 1000donny said:

The 212 used to be a king because of its performance/dollar one or two years ago - now theres a significant amount of coolers that perform the same and better for around the same price or cheaper. Like the Arctic cooler I posted earlier 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Thank you guys for the awesome suggestions! This was very helpful!

I can personally suggest an Arctic Freezer 33 eSports One because I own one and use it on the daily, coming from a Cooler Master Hyper 212.

I am literally the biggest Arctic Freezer 33 eSports One advocate.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

I reccomend the Hyper 212 EVO, ThermalTake Riing Silent 12 or Arctic Freezer 33. All three are great budget coolers, just pick what is cheapest and most suitable for your budget.

i7-7700k | GTX 1080 Ti | 32GB 3100MHz | Prime Z270-AR

Have you tried using the stock cooler first?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Have you tried using the stock cooler first?

The only one I could get for a cheaper price than I was willing to pay (or else it would be too much) was one that has been opened, but not tested. I don't think it has the stock heatsink with it

On 12/3/2018 at 6:52 PM, Azotherian said:

The only one I could get for a cheaper price than I was willing to pay (or else it would be too much) was one that has been opened, but not tested. I don't think it has the stock heatsink with it

Sorry for the late reply -- been busy.

Where are you shopping / located? What case and ram are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

13 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

So you're saying based on a single review that not even includes the cooler I mentioned I was wrong? It would go on par.

pure rock slim = 212 evo

also do you have a source?

2 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

pure rock slim = 212 evo

also do you have a source?

I was talking about the artic freezer esports one. where did you get that pure rock slim from?

edit: my source is my general knowledge

Edited by LukeSavenije

do you have a source that states the h60 is only as good as the 212 evo?

4 hours ago, ears_ears said:

do you have a source that states the h60 is only as good as the 212 evo?

18 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

So you're saying based on a single review that not even includes the cooler I mentioned I was wrong? It would go on par.

Here's an account out of many that can be found online of the Hyper 212+ performing better than the H60. https://forums.evga.com/h60-vs-CM-hyper-212-Non-EVO-m1501117.aspx

This isn't to say that the 212 Evo or eSports ONE would be better.

I think the reason why so many people say the 212 Evo or a 120mm air cooler would perform better is because that tends to be the case if the H60 is running with low fan and pump rpm and isn't placed in an optimal location. Corsair recommends mounting the H60 as an unfiltered intake at the rear of the case but I doubt most people do this especially nowadays with an increased awareness for dust-accumulation and favoring gpu temps over cpu temps. Optimal mounting and running max rpm tends to be done in reviews / benchmarks where the H60 easily blows away most 120mm air coolers in performance.