Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best psu for Dell optiplex 990 Mini tower.

I found a refurbished 990 for pretty cheap, with an i7 2600 but im looking for a compatible psu, because i heard that the dell psu are some times incompatible and wont fit with the with the side cover handle. im looking at a rx 480 8gb for it. I found this thermal take one which is in my budget. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014W3EM2W?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=VQPMH61Y9NSAQYF9PS91 5.51 x 5.91 x 3.4 in for this psu. I have no idea what the dimensions for the case are.

What is your budget exactly

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

7 minutes ago, Playfulmean said:

I found a refurbished 990 for pretty cheap, with an i7 2600 but im looking for a compatible psu, because i heard that the dell psu are some times incompatible and wont fit with the with the side cover handle. im looking at a rx 480 8gb for it. I found this thermal take one which is in my budget. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014W3EM2W?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=VQPMH61Y9NSAQYF9PS91 5.51 x 5.91 x 3.4 in for this psu. I have no idea what the dimensions for the case are.

Another option is to pickup a cheap case and transplant the system. I have found that on a lot of these pre-built systems that is sometimes the only option when upgrade the PSU is required.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Another option is to pickup a cheap case and transplant the system. I have found that on a lot of these pre-built systems that is sometimes the only option when upgrade the PSU is required.

That would work, but i've never took a pc apart before

2 minutes ago, Playfulmean said:

That would work, but i've never took a pc apart before

Do you have any friends that have? Getting someone to come help you could be as cheap as a case of beer/soda.

And im also on a tight budget and a case would add. But if necessary I will. A 30-40 dollar one could work  

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

Do you have any friends that have? Getting someone to come help you could be as cheap as a case of beer/soda.

Nope, my friend bought a pre built pc tho. But most my friends are console players unfortunately 

And im also on a tight budget and a case would add. But if necessary I will. A 30-40 dollar one could work  

After looking up the PSU for the DT version... it doesn't appear to be the normal size. It is much thinner that your average aftermarket PSU.

That's what I heard. I did hear that a corsair cx psu would work but that's way out of my budget

1 minute ago, Playfulmean said:

That's what I heard. I did hear that a corsair cx psu would work but that's way out of my budget

Http://replacepower.com

I would reach out to them. They have OEM replacement PSU's that can go up to 420w if I remember correctly. I know they had them for the 990 dt's, I just don't remember which one it is. So I would contact their support and tell them what you are looking for.

1 minute ago, Playfulmean said:

on a video on the 990 a guy upgraded the psu to a cx 600 

That looks like the Tower version, not the DT.

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Http://replacepower.com

I would reach out to them. They have OEM replacement PSU's that can go up to 420w if I remember correctly. I know they had them for the 990 dt's, I just don't remember which one it is. So I would contact their support and tell them what you are looking for.

ok. I when i get it will contact them and see

This is what you have and the various size options.

image.png.f0defc8925bd6dd8e93230158dd9b9c8.png

Here is the spec differences

image.png.2feca2bbaaaab1866160c13e067d67fc.png

Also one more thing to note. Unless you can get a LP (low Profile) variant of the rx480 it won't work in that case.

The 1050ti might be your best bet in that case. The 1050ti comes in an LP version and wouldn't require you to upgrade your PSU.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-480/3649vs3634

That is a ruff comparison of the 2. The FPS it provides are generally decent(35% slower than the 480), but in some games the RX480 is much better, that being said the 1050ti goes appear to keep playable fps in all those games. 45 isn't great, but it isn't a slide show at least. I mean most consoles games use to be 30fps.

I realized the one im looking at is the mini tower, not dt. I dont know why I typed that  

I realized the one im looking at is the mini tower, not dt. I dont know why I typed that  

If you are getting the MT version then chances are most PSU's will work as long as they aren't too long.

Just now, AngryBeaver said:

If you are getting the MT version then chances are most PSU's will work as long as they aren't too long.

Ok. I apologise for that. I should be good than. Thanks 

9 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817553010

Apparently is one that fits, but seems you need a PSU that Is around 5.5" in length to get it in without having the mechanism issues for the side panel.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

This should also work and is cheaper.

Lastly, the smart power you have linked in the original post is about .4" too long to fit without needing to modify the side panels locking mechanism.