How to port ONLY Windows to an SSD

Snotrap
Go to solution Solved by Lady Fitzgerald,
Just now, KuJoe said:

Paragon, DriveImage XML, and MiniTool Partition Wizard.

Again, try Macrium Reflect Free. It's never failed me.

Hey!

I got a 120GB SSD and I want to port Windows 10 along with all of its settings etc to it.

Is it possible since I have most of my files on the C drive?

My Machines:

I know. I need to update this. And I will. Eventually. 

Reinstall windows trust me you will save yourself ALOT of trouble.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

If you're moving a bigger hdd to a small one and you wanna just clone it, you can but first you will have to make the partition equal or smaller to the target size (120gb).

Moving files and resizing the partition plus cloning will take a very long time, and its not guaranteed to work.

It is faster if you just install a new windows in the new ssd, and have all your files on the old hdd.

I think installing windows + installing previous programs will be quicker than cloning.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Do a clean install, you should never clone/migrate to an SSD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Good grief, people! I've cloned drives to SSDs and other drives many times without trouble. The only caveat is that the data on the source drive has to be less than the data going to the clone. With the correct software, it's possible to just clone one or several partitions.

If your data is on the C:/ partition and you aren't already backing up your data, get an external drrive to use as a backup drive and copy your data to it. Once you are satisfied the data on the backup is all there, delete it on the C:/ partition.

Clone the C:/ partition to the SSD, then swap out the HDD with the SSD to make sure the clone is working. Then reinstall the HDD on a new port and erase all but your data.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

17 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Good grief, people! I've cloned drives to SSDs and other drives many times without trouble.

There are few people on this forum who always wrote the same - that cloning is bad, clean install is the only way etc. Mostly because this is the only way they know.

But there is a problem - many people installs Windows on big HDDs and creates one big partition. Then it's really difficult (or time consuming) to made system clone to smaller drive.

7 hours ago, homeap5 said:

There are few people on this forum who always wrote the same - that cloning is bad, clean install is the only way etc. Mostly because this is the only way they know.

But there is a problem - many people installs Windows on big HDDs and creates one big partition. Then it's really difficult (or time consuming) to made system clone to smaller drive.

I agree there is a problem when people have Windows and their data all in the same partition and want to clone the OS and programs only to a smaller drive, such as an SSD. The "fix", while a bit time consuming, isn't particularly difficult and is still easier than a clean install, especially when it comes to finding the correct drivers to install.

Using the correct programs helps considerably. I recommend Macrium Reflect Free for cloning. It defaults to what the program refers to as Intelligent Sector Cloning which clones only occupied sectors. This allows cloing from a larger drive to a smaller one as long as the content is smaller than the new available space. Cloning is a set or forget operation; starth the clone and walk away until it finished. You can even continue to use the computer.

For copying large amounts of data from one drive to another, I recommend using FreeFileSync. When set to mirror mode, it will easily copy selected data from one drive to anohter without bogging down and, usually, without errors. If there are any errors, they will be reported at the end of the operation. Just like cloning with Macrium Reflect, this is a set and forget operation.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

On 12/2/2018 at 8:46 AM, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Good grief, people! I've cloned drives to SSDs and other drives many times without trouble. The only caveat is that the data on the source drive has to be less than the data going to the clone. With the correct software, it's possible to just clone one or several partitions.

If your data is on the C:/ partition and you aren't already backing up your data, get an external drrive to use as a backup drive and copy your data to it. Once you are satisfied the data on the backup is all there, delete it on the C:/ partition.

Clone the C:/ partition to the SSD, then swap out the HDD with the SSD to make sure the clone is working. Then reinstall the HDD on a new port and erase all but your data.

I've attempted this about 20 or so times in the past, at least a dozen with Windows 10 and the end result was a clean install was always better. I've never had any luck cloning a drive or restoring from an image before (with Windows). :(

EDIT: Let me elaborate on that, it's "worked" but not flawlessly. It would be "usable" with some minor issues here and there but within a month I would always have to do a clean install when I'd run into issues patching something or adding/removing a feature.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I've attempted this about 20 or so times in the past, at least a dozen with Windows 10 and the end result was a clean install was always better. I've never had any luck cloning a drive or restoring from an image before (with Windows). :(

All I can say is you must be doing something wrong since I've never had a problem doing it. Of course, the caveat is that the Windows installation being cloned is in good shape and working well.

Jeannie

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

All I can say is you must be doing something wrong since I've never had a problem doing it. Of course, the caveat is that the Windows installation being cloned is in good shape and working well.

I wish I was doing something wrong, but alas I wasn't. I've cloned hundreds of Windows XP, Windows 7, Server 2003/2008/2012 without issue... but when it comes to Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 it just never worked. Windows is just really picky about change, even switching out a video card required a clean install to fix some display issues which made no sense since DDU is supposed to completely remove all display drivers. This is why I run disposable copies of Windows at home and do everything on a VM. The joys of Windows 10. :D

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

I wish I was doing something wrong, but alas I wasn't. I've cloned hundreds of Windows XP, Windows 7, Server 2003/2008/2012 without issue... but when it comes to Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 it just never worked. Windows is just really picky about change, even switching out a video card required a clean install to fix some display issues which made no sense since DDU is supposed to completely remove all display drivers. This is why I run disposable copies of Windows at home and do everything on a VM. The joys of Windows 10. :D

What were you using for cloning?

Jeannie

Just now, Lady Fitzgerald said:

What were you using for cloning?

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

Jeannie

6 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Thankfully I'll never have to clone another Windows 10 install again, but I'll be sure to recommend it to others who ask. :)

-KuJoe