AC Origins - ridiculous CPU usage

Go to solution Solved by taku1101,

So I upgraded to an i7-7700k and a RX Vega 56
still shitty fps

changed to dual-channel

double the fps

well i guess case closed

Hi,
considering all the complaints i've read on several forums, I think everyone is somewhat aware of that CPU-eating mess that ubisoft created.

I upgraded to an i5-7600k and gained several performance improvements in general. But.
I then bought AS Origins, not even considering the possibility that it would struggle to run on my PC since someone i know runs it @60 FPS with an i5-4690k.
Or so I thought.
The result:
Even on all low (changing settings doesn't really change anything tho) I barely reach 40 FPS and that only with so much inconsistency that it is truly unplayable.
A quick look at taskmanager shows me that it is completly CPU limited. My GPU is basically sleeping.
So my question is: 
How can that be and how am I supposed to fix it?
Is there a way to more specifically pinpoint the issue?
Since I've already got a stronger CPU than the other guy, i don't really know what to do right now...

Full specs:
i5-7600k non OC
AsRock H100m DVS-R3.0
Rx 470 (OC)
8 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1803

AC Orgins 1.5.1

If any more information is needed, just ask.

Hopefully someone has an idea.

Because it uses a very shitty DRM, and it's not Denuvo. That in of itself wouldn't affect performance that much. It's something else. Basically, the game has a DRM that protects the DRM intended to protect the game, and since that DRM on DRM system is very CPU intensive, it runs like ass.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Same here, I have R5 1600, and AC Origins destroys it. I've seen some comparisons showing over 20FPS difference betwwen 8600k and 8700k. Absolute madness. 

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

Because it uses a very shitty DRM, and it's not Denuvo. That in of itself wouldn't affect performance that much. It's something else. Basically, the game has a DRM that protects the DRM intended to protect the game, and since that DRM on DRM system is very CPU intensive, it runs like ass.

But that doesn't explain why it does run normal on an i5-4690k...

Just now, handymanshandle said:

Does he run a cracked copy?

No, and even if he did: The available cracks still have the DRMs running, they just bypass it

6 minutes ago, taku1101 said:

Full specs:
i5-7600k non OC
AsRock H100m DVS-R3.0

Should have gone with an i7 7700 locked much better value with the h110m

Either ways the game is EXTREMELY CPU intensive, and has a lot of areas in the map that simply tanks performance, you need all the frequency and threads you can have to run this game butter smooth above 60fps, and an i5 7600K being a 4c/4t limited to just 4ghz all cores boost ain't going to cut it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Should have gone with an i7 7700 locked much better value with the h110m

Either ways the game is EXTREMELY CPU intensive, and has a lot of areas in the map that simply tanks performance, you need all the frequency and threads you can have to run this game butter smooth above 60fps, and an i5 7600K being a 4c/4t limited to just 4ghz all cores boost ain't going to cut it.

That still doesn't explain the i5-7690k cutting through it without problems.
And i7-7700 is kinda expensive u know 
i got my i5-7600k for 150€

1 hour ago, handymanshandle said:

"VMProtect" is the name of the other DRM that is on AC Origins.

@taku1101 I would recommend testing performance in other games to ensure that the system is performing as it should. If the system runs fine in other games, then you will just have to accept that the poor performance is due to Ubisoft being rubbish at making PC games.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Try starting it with a "-d3d9" parameter. That should force DirectX 9 mode.

It's a graphically intensive game. People want to blame things like DRM, rather than face reality.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

10 hours ago, taku1101 said:

i5-7600k non OC
AsRock H100m DVS-R3.0
Rx 470 (OC)
8 GB RAM

Is this a single stick 8GB RAM?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

In the tests that I have done ACO is the most CPU intensive of all the modern games I play.

To test I used my i7 8086k overclocked to 5ghz on all cores & an RTX 2080 ti. I used a mix of ultra & high settings.

At 1920 X 1080 my average frame rate was 115.

At 2560 X 1440 my average frame rate was 104.

At 3840 X 1260 my average frame rate was 66.

When I had a GTX 1080 ti in the rig the 4k score was 61fps. If all my games played like this I paid $1200.00 for 5fps.

This is how it is with open world games.

Witcher 3 on ultra plus hair works did: 

At 1920 X 1080 my average frame rate was 190.

At 2560 X 1440 my average frame rate was 177.

at 3840 X 1260 my average frame rate was 85.

More balanced but the same trend.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

13 hours ago, Spotty said:

If the system runs fine in other games

Yes it runs basically anything,

The strange part is that it seems so run on some older gen CPUs just fine while ripping others completely apart.

12 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Try starting it with a "-d3d9" parameter.

I'll try that now...

4 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

Is this a single stick 8GB RAM?

Yes

12 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Try starting it with a "-d3d9" parameter. That should force DirectX 9 mode.

Well, now it doesn't start anymore...

And btw, regarding any other games: My system doesn't really struggle with anything, and even another Ubisoft title runs without problems (AC BlackFlag)

Since the Launcher just does not start the game at all I now ran the exe through CMD and used the -d3d9 parameter which... Well it did change things.

It made the benchmark more cinematic with below 20 FPS

1 hour ago, taku1101 said:

Yes

Then I am about 80% sure that your main problem and bottleneck lies with single channel memory. Get another 8GB stick and see what happens but I've seen benchmarks and for games like AC:O dual channel does indeed offer performance boost.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Here you go. Normally between 5-10 fps higher with dual channel memory with spikes 15-30 fps higher in highly populated areas (city).

10 hours ago, taku1101 said:

Well, now it doesn't start anymore...

And btw, regarding any other games: My system doesn't really struggle with anything, and even another Ubisoft title runs without problems (AC BlackFlag)

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Batman:_Arkham_Origins

I accidentally only gave you half the instructions. Also disable DX10. See the "Force DirectX 9 Mode" part.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

13 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Batman:_Arkham_Origins

I accidentally only gave you half the instructions. Also disable DX10. See the "Force DirectX 9 Mode" part.

resulted in similarly worse performance :/

21 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

Then I am about 80% sure that your main problem and bottleneck lies with single channel memory

Which brings me to the question why? My friend also has only one 8 GB RAM module and and worse processor and runs the game just fine. While my system struggles to reach 40 FPS.... So I'm not really looking for a 5-10 FPS improvement...

3 hours ago, taku1101 said:

Which brings me to the question why? My friend also has only one 8 GB RAM module and and worse processor and runs the game just fine. While my system struggles to reach 40 FPS.... So I'm not really looking for a 5-10 FPS improvement...

At this point aside from being pretty sure that dual channel memory will improve your FPS I can't say more. You really sure that this friend of yours has similar system (aside from CPU)? GPU? RAM speed/timings? You sure you remember the settings and resolution?

On 12/3/2018 at 9:53 PM, Lathlaer said:

At this point aside from being pretty sure that dual channel memory will improve your FPS I can't say more. You really sure that this friend of yours has similar system (aside from CPU)? GPU? RAM speed/timings? You sure you remember the settings and resolution?

Yes I am sure about that.

He got basically the same setup but with a different monitor and CPU
Everything 1080p on normal

• 9 months later...

So I upgraded to an i7-7700k and a RX Vega 56
still shitty fps

changed to dual-channel

double the fps

well i guess case closed