900D Build In Progress

SiCkHiTrEg
10 hours ago, SiCkHiTrEg said:

Ya i know how to build pcs, but this is the first time I have ever done water cooling myself.  So I did want extra space.  And originally I was going to run sli with two 1080ti’s and run 2 seperate loops.  But down the stretch I decided not to.   Honestly I felt like your comment was kind of coming at my throat for no reason.  I put alot of time and effort into this and I feel like it was not really called for.  

I think home boy needs to realize that PC building is extremely subjective, just because he doesn't agree with what your build is doesn't mean it's not great. Every PC build I've ever posted, half the comments are about it looking good, and the rest are ripping it apart saying you need to do this or that, or that's a trash part why would you use it. Personally I think the build looks great so far and can't wait to see the final product.

p.s. having extra room like that is great because it gives you a ton of flexibility for future upgrades or updates

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

On 4/10/2019 at 10:58 AM, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

I think home boy needs to realize that PC building is extremely subjective, just because he doesn't agree with what your build is doesn't mean it's not great. Every PC build I've ever posted, half the comments are about it looking good, and the rest are ripping it apart saying you need to do this or that, or that's a trash part why would you use it. Personally I think the build looks great so far and can't wait to see the final product.

p.s. having extra room like that is great because it gives you a ton of flexibility for future upgrades or updates

Thanks man I appreciate it it.  I am ordering the fittings and tubing today actually so will hope to be done soon.

On 4/3/2019 at 6:50 PM, campy said:

Its the PC equivalent of the hotdog down a hallway metaphor.

Its like bringing one outfit to a laundromat.

One person driving a Hummer H1 in the HOV lane.

Buying a non red Ferrari.

Full sized fridge and all thats in it is butter.

This is like the air vs chip ratio in chip bags.

Like if you want to, sure. Build the PC you want to build. But i see so many of these builds in the 900D where its just such a massive waste of the case. There so much more that can be done with the 900D and almost nobody uses it. Its not a case for an ATX board and single GPU. Its a case for EATX and 4 way SLI/Crossfire. Thats what it was designed for.

You might as well have put an itx board in it, it would look equally as underwhelming and out of place. Even using ATX at all is for people who want multi gpu or have a lot of expansion cards for some unknown reason in the year 2019. Even just an ATX case with one GPU is kinda like "why?".

Whenever i see PC's like that its either

1) the person is new to PC building and wants more room to work with\

2) they have some weird idea that bigger case = better thermals/airflow

It personally irks me. You obviously know what youre doing, why limit yourself to the PC build equivalent of how newegg ships small objects? Big box, small contents.

Pro tip, before you reply to an question or topic, answer these three questions:

1) Do I actually have an answer for OP at all?

2) Am I giving an answer that is based in multiple reliable source tests and not personal opinion or heresay?

3) Is my answer on topic, clear and concise?

If you answered "no" to any of those, close the tab.

Do not give people information you personally think is correct. Source, research and then reply. If you plain and simple don't know what you're talking about, don't talk about it. It's harmful to support questions on forums to be providing people with wrong or misleading information. As well as going off topic from the original question.

i.e. "What B360 motherboard should I buy?"

>someone replies with a PC partpicker list with a ryzen system

Not what was asked.

You should probably take your own advice instead of offering a condescending, unhelpful opinion. Unless of course you're actually an expert in the field of thermal dynamics and heat transfer who works for Corsair?

Instead you offered up that it's an "underwhelming and out of place" build (it's not) that is done by a " person is new to PC building and wants more room to work with" (lol, noobz amirite!?!1!).

Get over yourself.

5 hours ago, campy said:

posting a build does not leave you exempt from criticism

i tried to word my criticism in a way that was minimally offensive, if you would like to see the unfiltered opinion, its basically this:

this build looks bad because its a mismatch of parts sizes and the majority of the pc is going to empty space, its built in an out of date eatx case and the same end performance couldve been achieved, both in game performance and thermals, in a 20$ micro atx case with a decent air cooler

i understand the desire for cosmetic appearance, but if youre going to build a PC with aesthetics in mind, actually build a PC that looks good, dont half ass it

and i have a personal gripe against anyone who does this, especially in large, expensive cases like the 900D, because its a waste of what the case can do

its my opinion and you dont have to agree with my opinion

this also very much so not the context of my signature, thats specially for people who are asking questions and getting answers that dont apply to their question, there was no question asked here

inb4 "nobody asked for you opinion"

This is in part why I didn't post my build on here XD... I also used an over-sized case, a power supply that was severe overkill, way too many fans and radiators, and a bunch of other decisions that were unwarranted given my choice of hardware. That said, this is a hobby for me, and I plan to continue to use the case, PSU, fans, and radiators for the foreseeable future, including potentially for more ambitious builds in coming generations when Intel or AMD actually master the whole 7nm or better processes. In the meantime, it makes the builds easier, provides me with headroom to expand, and 'weirdly' will save me money over repeatedly buying hardware that is in the Goldilocks zone for the particular parts I have and am working with at any given time. Plus sometimes I like to screw with alternative cooling solutions like TECs and Phase Cooling, or parallel/multiple loops, automatic valves and switches, and weird things in general that benefit from the room. 

I would agree with you if this is something you do for a living and you always plan on having a new project with a totally new PC and completely new case on the horizon, then sure, fitting the parts together perfectly makes sense. However, if you're looking to make 'some' parts last over multiple builds, sometimes it's better to over-purchase then to try and find the perfect fit. 

CPU | 8700k @ 5.1 Ghz, AVX 0, 1.37 v Stable, Motherboard | Z390 Gigabyte AORUS Master V1.0, BIOS F9, RAM | G.Skill Ripjaw V 16x2 @ 2666 Mhz 12-16-16-30, Latency 38.5ns GPU | EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra HydroCopper @ 2160 Mhz Clock & 7800 Mhz Mem, Case | Phantek - Enthoo Primo, Storage | Intel 905p 1 TB PCIe NVME SSD, PSU | EVGA SuperNova Titanium 1600 w, UPS | CyberPower SineWave 2000VA/1540W, Display(s) | LG 4k 55" OLED & CUK 1440p 27" @ 144hz, Cooling | Custom WL, 1 x 480x60mm , 1 x 360x60mm, 2 x 240x60mm, 1 x 120x30mm rads, 12 x Noctua A25x12 Fans, Keyboard | Logitech G915 Wireless (Linear), Mouse | Logitech G Pro Wireless Gaming, Sound | Sonos Soundbar, Subwoofer, 2 x Play:3, Operating System | Windows 10 Professional.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:18 PM, campy said:

i tried to word my criticism in a way that was minimally offensive, if you would like to see the unfiltered opinion, its basically this:

this build looks bad because its a mismatch of parts sizes and the majority of the pc is going to empty space, its built in an out of date eatx case and the same end performance couldve been achieved, both in game performance and thermals, in a 20$ micro atx case with a decent air cooler

i understand the desire for cosmetic appearance, but if youre going to build a PC with aesthetics in mind, actually build a PC that looks good, dont half ass it

and i have a personal gripe against anyone who does this, especially in large, expensive cases like the 900D, because its a waste of what the case can do

this also very much so not the context of my signature, thats specially for people who are asking questions and getting answers that dont apply to their question, there was no question asked here

Ok but no one did ask for your opinion, which really seemed to just be you shitting on his part choice because it's not what you would have done. Not your pig not your farm

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

On 4/19/2019 at 2:18 PM, campy said:

Build doesn't look bad (it's not even finished?) you're just a condescending prick (as evidenced by your cute "really" comment) who thinks he knows more than he does (heat transfer in large vs small confined spaces). 

The build isn't for you? Fine, then either keep it moving or make a comment that isn't so full of "you're doing it wrong, I know this because I'm an expert on everything and now I will mock you". If you still feel the need to be a dick on the internet, head to Twitter.

But honestly, it sounds like you have case envy more than anything.

• 3 months later...

I dunno, the case to me doesn't look like its too large.  Originally I planned to do two separate loops and sli, but in the end opted not too.  I have been so busy and havent had as much time to finally get it going until now.  So heres where I am at.  Hope to finish it in the next week or two.  Its tough, I am married, have a 3 year old daughter and another on the way as well as a full time job.  

8277CA34-A715-4A83-9731-446267806954.jpeg

962556D1-76DD-4B8B-948A-295D555A71AB.jpeg

8B9786D6-103F-42C6-9E16-60CF57027E95.jpeg

Need just two more runs and will be done.  This is where its at atm and waiting on two fan controller hubs and a drain port which should be here any day.

4304E077-C271-4E6C-81D4-E69CB8474DF9.jpeg

B55A10F1-75F5-42C6-8634-D0497C8BFEBD.jpeg

8F3A3B62-4959-4C81-85D1-3B1F89C1200E.jpeg

Heres what I did today.  Just got drain port setup and ran 1/2 last tubes.  One long bendy one left.  

D0881D87-8759-41A6-952D-7A6F7B5B82A1.jpeg

42B22970-BA7E-4E22-ABA0-C4660C8D2213.jpeg

Almost completely done and ready to boot it up.  Assuming I get what I need in the mail today everything will get wired up.  Leak tested for 6-7 hours one day and about 11 hours the next with no issues. Here is where I am at.  

D6F7D20E-739E-4BEE-99A0-ED81E9904FD6.jpeg

A7BF160F-CF87-4557-8C8A-1F02D20A5F8B.jpeg

52CF39AC-1609-4F34-BB49-830B43A8E268.jpeg

02050F86-C991-4219-8DF7-CB7D17864915.jpeg

So where I messed up was not thinking ahead and was actually unable to get my cpu power cable in behind the tubing.  Had to drain the loop, and take the tubing out to get it in.  Then refilled loop.  No leaks again, and got it booted.  I overclocked it to 4.9ghz @1.3v as a base and is running fine.  Prime95 temps got into low 70’s.  Can most likely push it further with out issues,  but want longevity as well.  Also I now have to wait for longer sata cables and extenders for my ssd’s. So wont be completely done for a few days.  Also have to put in the cold cathodes that are coming as well for lighting.  Next pics will be the final system.

27ED8AB7-083B-462C-A8CB-E6ABF9165359.jpeg

716D338A-B62A-4A37-A430-72582B816820.jpeg

CBEF2C84-4D1C-4338-BAB5-6C2FDEEA1CD1.jpeg

Still need to cable manage the back and waiting on custom 24 pin and pcie’s from cable mods but added uv lighting and inside is basically done besides moving the ssd’s to the front.  

5B71C6CC-687A-4309-8DAE-3E9376125005.jpeg

DC286F7C-3BAC-45C1-8A4C-6FF464DB6A8D.jpeg

51AA7C34-B100-43F6-98B0-09860DF171A6.jpeg

This is a gorgeous build turned out awesome

Main Rig (Pulsar)

10 hours ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

This is a gorgeous build turned out awesome

Thanks so much man.  Really appreciate it.  Overclocked to 5.0GHz.  Running great.  The cold cathode uv lights seem to be working well, but if anyone knows any better uv lighting options I would be open to it since these cathodes are not the brightest uv lights I have seen.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2019 at 11:50 AM, Genwyn said:

Its the PC equivalent of the hotdog down a hallway metaphor.

Its like bringing one outfit to a laundromat.

One person driving a Hummer H1 in the HOV lane.

Buying a non red Ferrari.

Full sized fridge and all thats in it is butter.

This is like the air vs chip ratio in chip bags.

Like if you want to, sure. Build the PC you want to build. But i see so many of these builds in the 900D where its just such a massive waste of the case. There so much more that can be done with the 900D and almost nobody uses it. Its not a case for an ATX board and single GPU. Its a case for EATX and 4 way SLI/Crossfire. Thats what it was designed for.

You might as well have put an itx board in it, it would look equally as underwhelming and out of place. Even using ATX at all is for people who want multi gpu or have a lot of expansion cards for some unknown reason in the year 2019. Even just an ATX case with one GPU is kinda like "why?".

Whenever i see PC's like that its either

1) the person is new to PC building and wants more room to work with\

2) they have some weird idea that bigger case = better thermals/airflow

It personally irks me. You obviously know what youre doing, why limit yourself to the PC build equivalent of how newegg ships small objects? Big box, small contents.

I had a 900D and only had one gpu, the rest of the space I used for some custom hardline tubing. I dont see anything wrong with one gpu in a supertower. 

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, SiCkHiTrEg said:

Thanks so much man.  Really appreciate it.  Overclocked to 5.0GHz.  Running great.  The cold cathode uv lights seem to be working well, but if anyone knows any better uv lighting options I would be open to it since these cathodes are not the brightest uv lights I have seen.

5hgz mamma mia. my best proc at 3.4ghz lol

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |