What it takes to upgrade your motherboard?

So I have an i7 6700k and a low end motherboard. I want to increase my oc potential by buying a much better mobo, but when doing some research, apparently you have to buy windows again and then reinstall?? Is this true?? If so how do I do it? Anything else to know?

System

• CPU
    I7 6700K Overclocked to 4.6 GHz at 1.33v
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z270 PRIME - A
  • RAM
    GSKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 16GB 3000MHZ
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G overclocked to 2063 MHZ and 8900 MHZ memory clock
  • Case
    NZXT S340 RED
  • Storage
    WD 1TB BLUE AND SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 650W GQ
  • Display(s)
    LG 25UM58-P ULTRAWIDE and LG 29UM58-P 29 ULTRAWIDE
  • Cooling
    CORSAIR H100I GTX
  • Keyboard
    CORSAIR K70
  • Mouse
    LOGITECH G502 PROTEUS SPECTRUM
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 PRO
  •  
  •  

While you will have to reinstall Windows, you can link your product key to your Microsoft account. 

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Sometimes yeah. Just add your microsoft account to it. Although I have swapped one hdd between 4 different systems, but that was a normal licence

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

If you purchased an OEM license, technically you have to buy another license because the key is tied to the motherboard.

Sometimes it carries over for some reason. Also, I believe that even an OEM key will carry over if it's linked to a Microsoft account.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

3 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Sometimes it carries over for some reason. Also, I believe that even an OEM key will carry over if it's linked to a Microsoft account.

I really hope my OEM license does carry other, because my digital license is linked to my microsoft account so it should work right?

10 hours ago, MATTJW said:

I really hope my OEM license does carry other, because my digital license is linked to my microsoft account so it should work right?

Here's a video by Linus showing that it can transfer even if you do a complete swap. (Though it's wonky so it could not work sometimes.)

Spoiler

You probably will be fine and, if not you should be able to email Microsoft and get a new one.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.