Mobo power LED is on but fans not spinning + no display output

boey

So basically I just took the motherboard(ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe), cpu(i5-3570k), power supply(Silverstone 450W 80+ Gold Modular) and ssd from an itx case and transferred it to an atx case, while adding a 240mm aio(CM ML240L RGB) and a hard drive.The old itx PC booted fine too. I asked my friend who knows nothing about computers to plug in the power cable into the socket, and before I plugged the other end into the PSU, he turned the plug on and it caused a zapping noise between the cable and the PSU. The PC wouldn’t turn on despite trying to short the pins to turn on the PC without using the power button.

What I’ve tried is this:

Test RAM on different system: RAM worked

Test GPU on different system: GPU worked

Made sure all the connections were properly connected.

Checked socket for bent pins/foreign objects: It was completely fine

Reseated CPU and remounted AIO: Didn’t help.

I’m exhausted as this build took me 12 hours, since the old ITX case has so many problems(i.e motherboard screws were basically superglued onto the case etc.). I’ll be trying to use this CPU on a different Z77 system and trying a different power supply tomorrow.

Could this be a power supply fault? After a while, I could feel static in the power supply shroud as my hairs would stand up when i touched it and my friend would get zapped by it. I plugged the power supply in and made sure the plug was off and the static disappeared. I don’t think it fried the system as the GPU and RAM still works.

31 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

So basically I just took the motherboard(ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe), cpu(i5-3570k), power supply(Silverstone 450W 80+ Gold Modular) and ssd from an itx case and transferred it to an atx case, while adding a 240mm aio(CM ML240L RGB) and a hard drive.The old itx PC booted fine too. I asked my friend who knows nothing about computers to plug in the power cable into the socket, and before I plugged the other end into the PSU, he turned the plug on and it caused a zapping noise between the cable and the PSU. The PC wouldn’t turn on despite trying to short the pins to turn on the PC without using the power button.

What I’ve tried is this:

Test RAM on different system: RAM worked

Test GPU on different system: GPU worked

Made sure all the connections were properly connected.

Checked socket for bent pins/foreign objects: It was completely fine

Reseated CPU and remounted AIO: Didn’t help.

I’m exhausted as this build took me 12 hours, since the old ITX case has so many problems(i.e motherboard screws were basically superglued onto the case etc.). I’ll be trying to use this CPU on a different Z77 system and trying a different power supply tomorrow.

Could this be a power supply fault? After a while, I could feel static in the power supply shroud as my hairs would stand up when i touched it and my friend would get zapped by it. I plugged the power supply in and made sure the plug was off and the static disappeared. I don’t think it fried the system as the GPU and RAM still works.

PSU Failure?

My Rigs:

Spoiler

System 1:

Spoiler

Purpose: Gaming

OS: Windows 10 Pro | CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 | Mobo: Asrock B150M Pro4 Hyper | GPU: MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G | Storage: 120GB SSD ADATA + 1 TB Seagate Baracuda | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz | PSU: 600 Watt Cooler Master B600 | Display: LG 24MP88HM-S FHD Monitor | Accessories: ASUS Cerberus Gaming KB & Mouse Kit

System 2:

Spoiler

Purpose - NAS/Virtualization

OS: Ubuntu KDE 18.04 | CPU: Core i3 4130 | Mobo: Gigabyte H81M DS2 | RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600Mhz | PSU: Corsair VS550 | DVD Drive: LG DVD Multi | Display: Acer G195HQ | Storage: 4TB 1+1+2 | Accessories: Logitech Classic K100 & Leviathan ELE G1 Gaming Mouse.

Laptop: Lenovo Essentials B490

Spoiler

Purpose: Server - HP ProLiant DL360 Gen5

OS: Ubuntu Server 18.04 | CPU: 2 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5440 4 Cores | RAM : 16 GB DDR2 ECC | Storage: 146GB SAS Disk

Sound System: Creative SBS A-120 2.1

9 minutes ago, Navneet said:

PSU Failure?

I hope it is, it would be the cheapest to replace. If there was a PSU failure, would the motherboard led light still light up?

2 hours ago, _d0nut said:

I hope it is, it would be the cheapest to replace. If there was a PSU failure, would the motherboard led light still light up?

It might or might not it depends on failure type. Good PSU's have Short circuit protection and can shut down if they detect and short in the system. Bad cables, Motherboard Issue etc..

My Rigs:

Spoiler

System 1:

Spoiler

OS: Windows 10 Pro | CPU: Intel Core i5 6500 | Mobo: Asrock B150M Pro4 Hyper | GPU: MSI RX480 Gaming X 8G | Storage: 120GB SSD ADATA + 1 TB Seagate Baracuda | RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz | PSU: 600 Watt Cooler Master B600 | Display: LG 24MP88HM-S FHD Monitor | Accessories: ASUS Cerberus Gaming KB & Mouse Kit

System 2:

Spoiler

OS: Ubuntu KDE 18.04 | CPU: Core i3 4130 | Mobo: Gigabyte H81M DS2 | RAM: 8 GB DDR3 1600Mhz | PSU: Corsair VS550 | DVD Drive: LG DVD Multi | Display: Acer G195HQ | Storage: 4TB 1+1+2 | Accessories: Logitech Classic K100 & Leviathan ELE G1 Gaming Mouse.

Spoiler

OS: Ubuntu Server 18.04 | CPU: 2 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5440 4 Cores | RAM : 16 GB DDR2 ECC | Storage: 146GB SAS Disk

17 hours ago, Navneet said:

It might or might not it depends on failure type. Good PSU's have Short circuit protection and can shut down if they detect and short in the system. Bad cables, Motherboard Issue etc..

I’ve tested the CPU and PSU onto the other system, it works perfectly. The only thing I did not test was the power supply cables and motherboard. I’ll do the cables later, but are these symptoms of a motherboard failure? It might be worth to note that I had to use quite a large amount of force to get the motherboard out of the old case as the screws were super glued on. 

3 hours ago, _d0nut said:

I’ve tested the CPU and PSU onto the other system, it works perfectly. The only thing I did not test was the power supply cables and motherboard. I’ll do the cables later, but are these symptoms of a motherboard failure? It might be worth to note that I had to use quite a large amount of force to get the motherboard out of the old case as the screws were super glued on. 

Oh! You might have damaged the motherboard in the process. The force might have damaged the circuitry.

My Rigs:

Spoiler

System 1:

Spoiler

System 2:

Spoiler

Spoiler