My new, self built, computer has no signal

Go to solution Solved by FloRolf,
2 hours ago, Siggi_Wee said:

Okay so I think that I found the sticker you were talking about.

There is a longer serial number on there and in the very end a 4-digit number as you were saying. It says 3401 and the newest version on Asus' website seems to be version 4024.

So I guess it acutally is the BIOS version?

1 hour ago, Siggi_Wee said:

Would it work of I were to use a Ryzen 1600x?

The newest doesn't mean it's the first to support second gen ryzen. Lemme check, give me a minute. 

Edit: so yeah, you need version 3803 or newer to support the 2600.

Bios versions (at least for Asus) always go up in numbers in some weird way, but higher number Is always newer. 

If you were to get a different cpu and upgrade the bios, you should always go for the newest release though, which is 4024 as you already correctly said. 

Sad this happened to you as the two 1st Gen Asus boards I bought were already updated with a new 2nd Gen supporting bios. 

Be sure to check on the forums next time you wanna do a new build and ask for advice or just a quick look over your config :)

Hey guys,

so I bought components to build a new PC, which I'm not very experienced in, but I used a guide on YouTube to get things going.

When I was done putting things together I tried connecting the computer to my monitor. But when I start the computer, the monitor only shows that there is "No signal".

I tried solving the problem myself, by reading some threads about what could cause this problem and by taking the computer apart and putting it back together.

The only thing that seems logical to me (Not very experienced) is that the the BIOS version of the mainboard is too old for the processor and has to be updated with an older AMD processor.

My specs are:

- Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming AMD

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x 6x 3.60 GHz

- Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX

- GPU: 6GB Asus GeForce GTX 1060

- Power Supply: 500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM

I've also tried using different monitors aswell as using another graphics card.

I know that this probably doesn't mean much, but all the lights of the components turn on as soon as I press the power button, I just can't get any signal on my monitor and therefor can't reach the BIOS to update or set up my computer.

If there is any problem with my way of trying to express what my problem is, I am happy to answer your questions as fast as possible.

Thank you in advance :)

Welcome to the forums but sadly, you shouldve come before building. 

It seems like you are right and the bios Version doesn't support your cpu. Therefore you need a 1st Gen cpu to update the bios and then install your 2600 again. You could also get a new B450 or X470 motherboard instead. 

Edit: check on the motherboard itself which bios version is being used though, it should say that (disguised) on a sticker near the socket. Compare that to the bios versions available on Asus' website. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

14 minutes ago, Siggi_Wee said:

Hey guys,

so I bought components to build a new PC, which I'm not very experienced in, but I used a guide on YouTube to get things going.

When I was done putting things together I tried connecting the computer to my monitor. But when I start the computer, the monitor only shows that there is "No signal".

I tried solving the problem myself, by reading some threads about what could cause this problem and by taking the computer apart and putting it back together.

The only thing that seems logical to me (Not very experienced) is that the the BIOS version of the mainboard is too old for the processor and has to be updated with an older AMD processor.

My specs are:

- Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming AMD

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x 6x 3.60 GHz

- Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX

- GPU: 6GB Asus GeForce GTX 1060

- Power Supply: 500 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 10 CM

I've also tried using different monitors aswell as using another graphics card.

I know that this probably doesn't mean much, but all the lights of the components turn on as soon as I press the power button, I just can't get any signal on my monitor and therefor can't reach the BIOS to update or set up my computer.

If there is any problem with my way of trying to express what my problem is, I am happy to answer your questions as fast as possible.

Thank you in advance :)

Maybe it's the mistake I made the first time I made a computer. You may have plugged the display cable into the motherboard display output instead of the GPU display output.

There could be also the possibility of the PCI-E slot that you put the GPU in being at fault. Try putting the GPU in another slot and see if it boots.

If the BIOS is at fault, you'll have to borrow an old gen processor, boot, and then update the BIOS for the 2600x.

I don't really think there's a problem with the hardware since you say you've tried different monitors and different graphics cards.

It is said that an Italian dies every time Spaghetti is broken.

That's why I break mine twice.

2 minutes ago, THE PC GAMER said:

Maybe it's the mistake I made the first time I made a computer. You may have plugged the display cable into the motherboard display output instead of the GPU display output.

There could be also the possibility of the PCI-E slot that you put the GPU in being at fault. Try putting the GPU in another slot and see if it boots.

If the BIOS is at fault, you'll have to borrow an old gen processor, boot, and then update the BIOS for the 2600x.

I don't really think there's a problem with the hardware since you say you've tried different monitors and different graphics cards.

I made sure that I used the GPU display output the first time I tried starting the computer. As soon as I saw that there is no signal I tried using the motherboard output but also read that there is no built in GPU with the Ryzen processors, if that makes sense.

And I also tried another PCI-E slot.

I'm just happy that there's another person to tell me that it's most likely not the fault of my hardware :D

7 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Welcome to the forums but sadly, you shouldve come before building. 

It seems like you are right and the bios Version doesn't support your cpu. Therefore you need a 1st Gen cpu to update the bios and then install your 2600 again. You could also get a new B450 or X470 motherboard instead. 

Edit: check on the motherboard itself which bios version is being used though, it should say that (disguised) on a sticker near the socket. Compare that to the bios versions available on Asus' website. 

I probably should've read more about what mainboard to buy when using Ryzen 5 2600x. But I also don't want to switch now.

I'm going to try to get a first gen cpu from a friend or something to update the BIOS.

And I am also going to check the BIOS version, but I don't really get what that will do for me. Is that just a way for me to be safe that it's the BIOS' fault and isn't caused by something else?

7 minutes ago, Siggi_Wee said:

And I am also going to check the BIOS version, but I don't really get what that will do for me. Is that just a way for me to be safe that it's the BIOS' fault and isn't caused by something else?

Correct. If it isn't the bios' fault then you can spare yourself with the hassle of installing a new cpu and everything. 

There should be a bigger sticker on the board which has a 4 digit number at the end. That'll be your bios version iirc. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

9 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Correct. If it isn't the bios' fault then you can spare yourself with the hassle of installing a new cpu and everything. 

There should be a bigger sticker on the board which has a 4 digit number at the end. That'll be your bios version iirc. 

There is a longer serial number on there and in the very end a 4-digit number as you were saying. It says 3401 and the newest version on Asus' website seems to be version 4024.

54 minutes ago, Siggi_Wee said:

2 hours ago, Siggi_Wee said:

1 hour ago, Siggi_Wee said:

The newest doesn't mean it's the first to support second gen ryzen. Lemme check, give me a minute. 

Bios versions (at least for Asus) always go up in numbers in some weird way, but higher number Is always newer. 

If you were to get a different cpu and upgrade the bios, you should always go for the newest release though, which is 4024 as you already correctly said. 

Sad this happened to you as the two 1st Gen Asus boards I bought were already updated with a new 2nd Gen supporting bios. 

Be sure to check on the forums next time you wanna do a new build and ask for advice or just a quick look over your config :)

Gaming HTPC:

Desktop PC:

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:

Synology-NAS:
DS920+

Audio Gear:

Reviews and Stuff:

Useful Links:

27 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

I'm lucky since a friend of mine owns a 1600x that I could borrow just for the update.

Thank's for your help :)