Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Powering psu with dead mobo

Hi! My pc doesnt start (The motherboard might be dead). What would happen if I will power on the psu by shorting the black and green wires?

2 minutes ago, TheSponyX said:

Hi! My pc doesnt start (The motherboard might be dead). What would happen if I will power on the psu by shorting the black and green wires?

Ok I don't know what that does, but don't immediately jump to conclusions. If the PC doesn't start there can be a lot of possible things causing it.

1) The Power button might not work. Try turning on the computer from the motherboard (NOT the power supply. Don't mess with the power supply yet)

2) It might be the motherboard not getting power correctly. Make sure there aren't any loose wires or anything, and check for dust.

3) Test the rest of your hardware: Does your CPU, GPU, RAM, Hard Drive/SSD, and fans work? Test them by putting them in a different system. If you don't have one then you can just borrow/use another person's. If that's not possible, look for indicators in them. If there are lights on the parts, do they turn on? If there are fans, do they turn on?

4) Check your CPU socket. There might be some bent pins. Be careful around there, if there's nothing wrong you can cause more problems.

5) Does your power supply get the power from its cable correctly? There might be a problem in the wall or the wire being loose.

6) Test the system with a different power supply.

7) Even if the test above don't work, try using a different motherboard to confirm that indeed the motherboard is dead.

Should none of that help you, still don't do that. It's risky. Also, I don't get what you mean by "turning on" the power supply. Isn't the power supply already or supposed to be on? If the motherboard is dead (hopefully not) then I don't think you can boot it by giving it power. First confirm that indeed, the motherboard is dead.

If you are new, then welcome to LinusTechTips! Enjoy your stay, and if any questions then you can ask ANYTHING you want about computers, and some other stuff as well. Make sure to sign up!

:)

Processor: i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Superclocked RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400 Mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI Storage: 1TB HDD | 240 GB SSD Case: Gigabyte Luxo M30 PSU: Corsair CS650M CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 Laptop: None. FeelsBadMan Monitor: A 1080p Asus Panel that I got for 40 bucks Keyboard: Tecware Phantom RGB Mouse: Redragon M709

I know the motherboard is the problem. Most likely I murdered the vrm while trying to push 1.5 volts in my q6600.

4 minutes ago, TheSponyX said:

I know the motherboard is the problem. Most likely I murdered the vrm while trying to push 1.5 volts in my q6600.

The CPU is probably dead then, not the mobo

Main PC:  MacBook Air (M1, 2020), 8GB of RAM, 256GB of storage; running macOS, but waiting for Linux to be ported to the M1

9 minutes ago, TheSponyX said:

You can try resetting the BIOS to see if that helps. The BIOS can be reset directly from the motherboard. Otherwise the only solution would be to get a new motherboard (if indeed the motherboard is dead)

I am confused though. If the motherboard is truly dead what would you get by short circuiting those wires?

If you are new, then welcome to LinusTechTips! Enjoy your stay, and if any questions then you can ask ANYTHING you want about computers, and some other stuff as well. Make sure to sign up!

Processor: i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Superclocked RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400 Mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI Storage: 1TB HDD | 240 GB SSD Case: Gigabyte Luxo M30 PSU: Corsair CS650M CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 Laptop: None. FeelsBadMan Monitor: A 1080p Asus Panel that I got for 40 bucks Keyboard: Tecware Phantom RGB Mouse: Redragon M709

2 minutes ago, THE PC GAMER said:

You can try resetting the BIOS to see if that helps. The BIOS can be reset directly from the motherboard. Otherwise the only solution would be to get a new motherboard (if indeed the motherboard is dead)

I am confused though. If the motherboard is truly dead what would you get by short circuiting those wires?

I'm curious what happens. I asked because I dont want to kill a good psu for a cheap lga 775 system. I will buy a psu for 3-4 dollars and do the trick.

4 minutes ago, TheSponyX said:

I'm curious what happens. I asked because I dont want to kill a good psu for a cheap lga 775 system. I will buy a psu for 3-4 dollars and do the trick.

That trick of short circuiting those wires is used to simulate the 24 pin cables (assuming it is the paperclip trick you're referring to). It is done without the motherboard and fools the power supply into thinking that it is connected to the motherboard. With this method you can check if the PSU fan is spinning or if the lights on the PSU (if any) are turning on. It wouldn't affect the motherboard in any way.

If it is not the paperclip trick then can you inform me of what it is and what you hope to achieve by doing it? And if it is the paperclip trick, then why are you doing it? It doesn't affect the motherboard in any way. The only thing it does is verifies that the PSU is working or not.

1 hour ago, NunoLava1998 said:

The CPU is probably dead then, not the mobo

Nah its not. Not even a modern cpu will die from 1.5v, let alone the q6600 which was common to run at 1.7v for 5 years by the average overclocker.

52 minutes ago, THE PC GAMER said:

That trick of short circuiting those wires is used to simulate the 24 pin cables (assuming it is the paperclip trick you're referring to). It is done without the motherboard and fools the power supply into thinking that it is connected to the motherboard. With this method you can check if the PSU fan is spinning or if the lights on the PSU (if any) are turning on. It wouldn't affect the motherboard in any way.

If it is not the paperclip trick then can you inform me of what it is and what you hope to achieve by doing it? And if it is the paperclip trick, then why are you doing it? It doesn't affect the motherboard in any way. The only thing it does is verifies that the PSU is working or not.

I will stab the wires while the 24pin cable is connected. That way it has to push power into the motherboard.

Just now, TheSponyX said:

I will stab the wires while the 24pin cable is connected. That way it has to push power into the motherboard.

Ok a few things:

1) That is extremely foolish and unnecessary. 24pin cables and sockets are designed so that there is no problem in transferring of electricity. If you think there's a problem with the motherboard receiving electricity then it's probably within the plug or the socket, not those wires. 

2) This is a motherboard, not Frankenstein. You can't bring it back to life by forcing power into it (if that's the way Frankenstein was made. I don't quite remember the story of it). If the motherboard is dead because of a short circuit or the frying of its components then the only solution is to either get a new one or to fix the broken area, the second solution being only possible if you have the right technology and expertise in repairing very delicate and printed components of a motherboard.

3) What do you hope of achieving by forcing power into it? If it's dead that power will be wasted and there's even a risk of further short circuits because of incomplete wiring and malfunctioning components. Not only will your power supply be affected if you indeed do this, but everything else: Your graphics card (if any), your ram, storage drives, cpu, everything could be affected.

Unfortunately this will be my last reply (I do quite deeply apologize. I have to go) but just understand that if the motherboard is dead then it can't be fixed. You can salvage your remaining components or get a new motherboard, but you can't fix it. There's still the possibility that the motherboard isn't at fault like you assume it is, so I request you to try all the things I mentioned in the first reply.

Good luck. I hope you make the right decision.

4 minutes ago, THE PC GAMER said:

Ok a few things:

1) That is extremely foolish and unnecessary. 24pin cables and sockets are designed so that there is no problem in transferring of electricity. If you think there's a problem with the motherboard receiving electricity then it's probably within the plug or the socket, not those wires. 

2) This is a motherboard, not Frankenstein. You can't bring it back to life by forcing power into it (if that's the way Frankenstein was made. I don't quite remember the story of it). If the motherboard is dead because of a short circuit or the frying of its components then the only solution is to either get a new one or to fix the broken area, the second solution being only possible if you have the right technology and expertise in repairing very delicate and printed components of a motherboard.

3) What do you hope of achieving by forcing power into it? If it's dead that power will be wasted and there's even a risk of further short circuits because of incomplete wiring and malfunctioning components. Not only will your power supply be affected if you indeed do this, but everything else: Your graphics card (if any), your ram, storage drives, cpu, everything could be affected.

Unfortunately this will be my last reply (I do quite deeply apologize. I have to go) but just understand that if the motherboard is dead then it can't be fixed. You can salvage your remaining components or get a new motherboard, but you can't fix it. There's still the possibility that the motherboard isn't at fault like you assume it is, so I request you to try all the things I mentioned in the first reply.

Good luck. I hope you make the right decision.

I payed 12$ for this system (without psu). I dont really care how bad it ends up.

Just now, TheSponyX said:

I payed 12$ for this system (without psu). I dont really care how bad it ends up.

Ok that just takes like, all of my concerns away. Do whatever you want :P 

On 12/1/2018 at 4:23 PM, THE PC GAMER said:

Ok that just takes like, all of my concerns away. Do whatever you want :P 

I tried it. It did nothing.