Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help on introducing brother to computers, not just gaming.

Wohaaa

(I tried making it brief, hopefully it's not too much of a read.)

(I do apologize if this ends up being in the wrong category, but I couldn't find one that this belongs to.)

I have a brother. He's not good with computers or gaming. He has just a computer, not a console. He wants more experience and ability to do more with his machine (It's not very strong. Core i3 540 on Intel DH55TC mobo , GT 430 GPU, 6 GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM with 3 of 4 slots occupied on the mobo, 250 GB HDD, 420W PSU that came with the case). Every time he has trouble or it lags I have to end up fixing it (I'm not annoyed by it). I want to get him started on computers: Basics (Installing Windows, what makes a PC, what numbers mean for performance of individual components), Up to date information (Performance of current lineup of stuff, info of older stuff to compare it to, costs, availability, things to lookout for like bad PSUs or overpriced hardware), and then some more challenging things (Building a PC, cable management, driver info, software configs). After he reaches that point he can decide what he wants to do next, but I just want him to reach this point at the moment. Problem is, I can't remember how I got to where I am today. It just....happened.

You might be thinking that a lot of the stuff listed above is very easy, like installing Windows or assembling a PC, but remember, he has never opened a computer in his life. He has almost no experience with it whatsoever. He has trouble even knowing which wire goes into which slot when he just has to put the machine back on the desk!

What would be the best way to introduce him to all that stuff I listed above? (Also, I'm not very good of a teacher. If there's a possibility that he can learn this without watching boring videos, then it would be far more effective and entertaining, or otherwise he might lose interest. I'm not saying that I don't want video guides, but if the videos are brief or entertaining, it would work better.)

He can spare some money, but wants to make the most of his machine as he thinks he doesn't need anything stronger. That brings me to another question I wanted to ask, what GPU would be best for that CPU (Core i3 540) without being a bottleneck?

If you are new, then welcome to LinusTechTips! Enjoy your stay, and if any questions then you can ask ANYTHING you want about computers, and some other stuff as well. Make sure to sign up!

:)

Processor: i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Superclocked RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400 Mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI Storage: 1TB HDD | 240 GB SSD Case: Gigabyte Luxo M30 PSU: Corsair CS650M CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 Laptop: None. FeelsBadMan Monitor: A 1080p Asus Panel that I got for 40 bucks Keyboard: Tecware Phantom RGB Mouse: Redragon M709

I would do the following: go around and look for some cheap, old pc's (pentium 4's are fine, newer is not a problem) and let him try some things with your help. If they break, it should be fine, but that way you can let him try some things

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

Also, for the upgrade you could get a second hand 750 ti

I'll see if I can get my hands on one.

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I would do the following: go around and look for some cheap, old pc's (pentium 4's are fine, newer is not a problem) and let him try some things with your help. If they break, it should be fine, but that way you can let him try some things

Might work. I'll try it out.

If you are new, then welcome to LinusTechTips! Enjoy your stay, and if any questions then you can ask ANYTHING you want about computers, and some other stuff as well. Make sure to sign up!

Processor: i5 6600k @ 4.4 Ghz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Superclocked RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400 Mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI Storage: 1TB HDD | 240 GB SSD Case: Gigabyte Luxo M30 PSU: Corsair CS650M CPU Cooler: Corsair H55 Laptop: None. FeelsBadMan Monitor: A 1080p Asus Panel that I got for 40 bucks Keyboard: Tecware Phantom RGB Mouse: Redragon M709

That's wonderful :D

This is how I learned about computers and software..

So I was like 7 and my older brother was 16 he was playing all sorts of games like Diablo 1, Diablo 2, GTA San Andreas, Hitman Contracts and I just watched how he played and when he wasn't on the PC I tried playing them enjoyed it for a while. After that he lost interest in them, but I didn't  (Also our good PC broke, Water Damage i think)  so I was left with a shitty PC and at the time I didn't have money so I pirated games and tweaked them using the config files. Often the pirated games didn't work so I had to fix them up which was hard for me at the time, but I managed to do it. Fast forward a few years to 2012 I was  about 10 (in second grade) and I got my first smartphone the Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus and then I started watching youtube on it found Linus and he showed me a lot of things. Then I got a Xbox 360 and a slightly better PC (Pentium E5200,3GB RAM, AMD HD5450). The Xbox got fried due to some stupid workers that were renovating our house they used a faulty sanding machine.. So I was left with my PC again with bad specs so I continued learning etc.. Then in 2016 I got my first real pc I5 6400 GTX 960 8GB RAM. And at this point I knew that I wanted to be a programmer so I'm now studying computer science at college :) Also upgraded to a 1060 on my machine.

2 minutes ago, Kunker_ said:

That's wonderful :D

This is how I learned about computers and software..

So I was like 7 and my older brother was 16 he was playing all sorts of games like Diablo 1, Diablo 2, GTA San Andreas, Hitman Contracts and I just watched how he played and when he wasn't on the PC I tried playing them enjoyed it for a while. After that he lost interest in them, but I didn't  (Also our good PC broke, Water Damage i think)  so I was left with a shitty PC and at the time I didn't have money so I pirated games and tweaked them using the config files. Often the pirated games didn't work so I had to fix them up which was hard for me at the time, but I managed to do it. Fast forward a few years to 2012 I was  about 10 (in second grade) and I got my first smartphone the Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus and then I started watching youtube on it found Linus and he showed me a lot of things. Then I got a Xbox 360 and a slightly better PC (Pentium E5200,3GB RAM, AMD HD5450). The Xbox got fried due to some stupid workers that were renovating our house they used a faulty sanding machine.. So I was left with my PC again with bad specs so I continued learning etc.. Then in 2016 I got my first real pc I5 6400 GTX 960 8GB RAM. And at this point I knew that I wanted to be a programmer so I'm now studying computer science at college :) Also upgraded to a 1060 on my machine.

Guess that's how I learned as well. Experience and experimentation. But I just can't seem to remember the exact starting point. The only thing I remember is that I started in late 2014. I had an old Dell Optiplex GX270 (Minesweeper memories. Freaking nostalgia overload.) Later on I wanted a new better computer. I got a Dell Vostro 200 with a GT 610 in it (Still have it now!). Spent a few months on it. Some time later some new machines arrived (not by my request. I don't know why they came), and I got my hands on a custom built PC, which is now what my brother currently is using. I spent a few months experimenting and researching as to which machine was better: The one I had or the one that arrived. At that point I guess I found out what components make a computer. Still have memories of swapping graphics cards, taking crysis 1 benchmarks, and trying to fit DDR2 in DDR3 slots. I then spend 2015 and 2016 researching. a LOT of researching, for the machine I have today. I used to get out my house on a weekly basis going to plazas and shops finding out the costs of components and recommendations from sellers. I have sooo much information on the performance of Intel and Nvidia hardware before the 10 series and 7th gen lineup. In the end I got my main PC and then a year later the GPU for it.

I got 16 Gigs of DDR4 (8 X 2) for 45 US Dollars. FORTY. FIVE. Geez those were good times. Anyway, I'll try to get him some used hardware and let him experience it itself. Thanks for the story!