1440p 144hz IPS w/ Freesync vs 1440p 144hz w/ G-Sync

Hey all,

I want to start with my setup being Nvidia with a GTX 1080. I am currently running an older Monoprice Zero-G 1440p 60hz IPS Monitor. I thoroughly enjoy the quality of the IPS but want to step up to the higher refresh rate (i.e. 144hz).

The games I intend to play are mostly competitive FPS (R6 Siege, CS:GO) but I also play games which are still in alpha stages so not yet fully optimized (SCUM, Squad v12). 

I have found the two monitors listed below for $400.00 used and would ultimately like to know would the Dell be worth the panel downgrade in visuals for the g-sync, or would the Asus be best to go with for the IPS and freesync (which would remain unused)?

Dell S2716DGR 1440p 144hz (TN Panel) w/ G-Sync

Asus Mg279Q 1440p 1444hz (IPS Panel) w/ Freesync 

Ultimately, I don’t know if the IPS panel is worth sacrificing for the perceivably small performance upgrades and G-Sync as I have not been able to experience other monitors in person. 

Apologies for being a bit long winded but appreciate the input. 

My experience is that with 144hz monitors, the issue of tearing is very hard to spot at higher framerates since the time to refresh is much shorter and thus the time between the segmented frames is shorter. Ill draw something to illustrate shortly.

@huilun02 fast sync is not meant to be used when you only barely hit the native refreshrate. It's designed when you hit well over twice the refreshrate. As at lower framerates, skipping a frame can result in poor frametime consistency.

You have an Nvidia GTX 1080 which ONLY supports G-Sync. That Dell is the only choice for you.

TN panel is less color accurate than IPS panel and has a comparably bad viewing angle, but it has a faster response time which is suitable for high frame rate e-sport gaming.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Just now, SkyHound0202 said:

You have an Nvidia GTX 1080 which ONLY supports G-Sync. That Dell is the only choice for you.

TN panel is less color accurate than IPS panel and has a comparably bad viewing angle, but it has a faster response time which is suitable for high frame rate e-sport gaming.

TN is not inherently less color accurate my dude. Plenty of 6bit+FRC IPS panels out there. This meme of IPS always inherently being better than TN needs to go away.

Color accuracy also doesn't imply color vibrancy. I've tried quite a few panels and I gravitated towards Samsung's QLED VA panels. I've actually tried that MG279Q and found it to be an absolute turd of a monitor, despite being IPS.

8 minutes ago, Majestic said:

TN is not inherently less color accurate my dude. Plenty of 6bit+FRC IPS panels out there. This meme of IPS always inherently being better than TN needs to go away.

Color accuracy also doesn't imply color vibrancy. I've tried quite a few panels and I gravitated towards Samsung's QLED VA panels. I've actually tried that MG279Q and found it to be an absolute turd of a monitor, despite being IPS.

Maybe he meant to say TN is inferior in terms of color reproduction not accuracy.

@wco96 Many people can't really notice any tearing in 144Hz monitor because the frames update more than twice as fast as typical 60Hz panel.

With no framecap 144Hz panel won't add any inputlag.

That being said if you have the money you could go with the G-sync. But even though Good TN panel are able to produce a decent color it still won't be as good as IPS and on top of that the viewing angle issues still remain with TN panel.

18 minutes ago, Majestic said:

fast sync is not meant to be used when you only barely hit the native refreshrate. It's designed when you hit well over twice the refreshrate. As at lower framerates, skipping a frame can result in poor frametime consistency.

Not really "well over twice" Fast sync will kick in if you reach more than 60FPS on 60Hz panel.

Most people says it the inpug lag won't be noticeable but i found that its very noticeable at least for me but not as bad as V-sysnc though.

And it kinda introduce a micro stuttering here and there even at high framerate.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

4 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Maybe he meant to say TN is inferior in terms of color reproduction not accuracy.

Again, there is plenty of 6bit+FRC IPS panels out there. The only thing you notice is the usually slightly higher contrast ratio of IPS panels. TN panels are usually 800-900:1, and IPS panels 1000-1200:1. 

They get stomped by VA though, at like 2500-3500:1. Which is why I like Samsung's VA QLED panels myself. The one i'm using right now has a 10bit QLED VA panel, it's amazing. And it was only like 530 euro (new) for a 32inch panel. Maybe OP can find something like this Samsung C32HG70QQU used. 

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Again, there is plenty of 6bit+FRC IPS panels out there. The only thing you notice is the usually slightly higher contrast ratio of IPS panels. TN panels are usually 800-900:1, and IPS panels 1000-1200:1. 

They get stomped by VA though, at like 2500-3500:1. Which is why I like Samsung's VA QLED panels myself. The one i'm using right now has a 10bit QLED VA panel, it's amazing. And it was only like 530 euro (new) for a 32inch panel. Maybe OP can find something like this Samsung C32HG70QQU used. 

Of course yes i know VA has better contrast ratio.

What i mean to say is in General IPS would stomp TN in terms of color accuracy and reproduction any day of the week.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

@wco96 I tried to illustrate it as clear as possible.

OP IS DEAD lel

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Just now, Hiya! said:

OP IS DEAD lel

Dont quote images, it also has a mistake I changed it. Please remove it. And I will just refer to this post for futurequestions, so I don't mind that it took me a bit to make it.

Thank you everyone for the input, I will be considering it over the next few days. Due to my inexperience with TN panels, high refresh rates, and  G-Sync or lack there of; I wanted to ensure I’m making the most informed decision possible while balancing out the pros and cons of each. I value your varying opinions as they allow me to see it from different points of view. Continue to post as the discussion is providing great points. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, SkyHound0202 said:

I understand the Dell is the only one of which I would be able to utilize the G-Sync/Freesync but was unsure of the overall value of G-Sync as I would get the Asus and simply not use the Freesync if it is not as pertinent for the games I play. 

This is is an argument I’ve read in other forums that G/Free syncs aren’t as useful in competitive FPS. Not sure the validity to those arguments. 

41 minutes ago, Majestic said:

@wco96 I tried to illustrate it as clear as possible.

image.png.f472c2c22be689106934c792fbeb9ca4.png

I appreciate the visualization. And solid point regarding the higher refresh rate allowing less tearing overall compared to lower refresh rates. 

I have the dell monitor, it's great for gaming but that's it, the TN panel definitely shows, however that being said, i still recommend it, it needs tweaking in the io right out of the box

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard