Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrades to my old rig

So as you can probably tell this desktop is pretty old, like really old in the tech world. After years of gaming on this rig it’s beginning to slow down and it just can’t keep up anymore, even on comp friendly games such as league of lengends and honestly there is such a large world of games that I just can’t play. I do want to get back into gaming but to do that I know I need a better rig. I can’t afford to go out and build a new rig so I’m stuck with just upgrading part by part (or saving long term). The goal is to have a rig that can run newer games both comp friendly and not on at least medium to high graphics with around 60 frames(or better). I wish I could tell you want games I want to play but as I haven’t been able to play any PC games(the exception being league) in so long I have no idea except for maybe wanting to play RDR2. I know all of it needs to be upgraded, but is there an order I could go by upgrading part by part or is it even worth upgrading part by part and I should just save for a while and build a quality  rig. My budget long term would be about 1000-1250, the cheaper the better. I have really never had to find parts without the help of an experienced builder so I honestly have little idea what parts are worth buying as I’m still doing research on it all.

My rig is as follows

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz 4 Core
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 440
Motherboard: ASUSTeK- Rampage 3 fourmula PCI-E
Memory Type: 2: CRUCIAL-DDR3 
Memory Size: 4 GBytes total
Power Supply: COOLMASTER 500, 650 W
Case: ANTEC 300 orginal
Storage: WD Carvier Blue 500GB
OS: Windows 7 32-bit operating system(going to upgrade when I can but want my parts upgraded first)

Any advice is greatly appreciated and to the mods I hope posted in the right subfourm if not feel free to take down the post. Thanks in advance. If any extra information is needed feel free to let me know.

9 minutes ago, Crich said:

So as you can probably tell this desktop is pretty old, like really old in the tech world. After years of gaming on this rig it’s beginning to slow down and it just can’t keep up anymore, even on comp friendly games such as league of lengends and honestly there is such a large world of games that I just can’t play. I do want to get back into gaming but to do that I know I need a better rig. I can’t afford to go out and build a new rig so I’m stuck with just upgrading part by part (or saving long term). The goal is to have a rig that can run newer games both comp friendly and not on at least medium to high graphics with around 60 frames(or better). I wish I could tell you want games I want to play but as I haven’t been able to play any PC games(the exception being league) in so long I have no idea except for maybe wanting to play RDR2. I know all of it needs to be upgraded, but is there an order I could go by upgrading part by part or is it even worth upgrading part by part and I should just save for a while and build a quality  rig. My budget long term would be about 1000-1250, the cheaper the better. I have really never had to find parts without the help of an experienced builder so I honestly have little idea what parts are worth buying as I’m still doing research on it all.

My rig is as follows

OS: Windows 7 32-bit operating system(going to upgrade when I can but want my parts upgraded first)

Any advice is greatly appreciated and to the mods I hope posted in the right subfourm if not feel free to take down the post. Thanks in advance. If any extra information is needed feel free to let me know.

The CPU isn't too bad, but the GPU and possibly RAM need attention. Upgrade your GPU to something like an RX 560 or RX 570 and get yourself 8GB of RAM if your board supports it.

I think your best bet is to invest in a new mobo, RAM, CPU, and GPU. The CPU isn't terrible, but it's nearly 10 years old and if you've got the budget (which it sounds like you do) you can get some newer gear. If I were in your shoes (operating on the same budget) I'd be looking for some gear that is new B-stock, never opened or used but maybe a generation or three back. With some good hunting you could find some decent gear and stay within your budget, and if you can reuse the case or PSU, you could save yourself some money, or at least you could hold off on upgrading until later. 

If you decide to stick with the CPU and mobo you have, definitely upgrade your GPU, add more RAM, and get an SSD. I'd also suggest looking into a good quality cooler for your CPU. Not sure what your thermals are now, but I had an 11 year old CPU that I would crank on and see quite high temps, a new cooler helped avoid throttling. 

54 minutes ago, Crich said:

GeForce GT 440

This right here is what's holding you back most. Get a GTX 1050 ti off eBay or the aforementioned RX 570, and some more ram and an SSD will make a big difference too. This system will feel fast and modern in no time.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

So from the sound of it a Graphics card upgrade is much needed so it should be my first upgrade along with ram asap after that then an SSD, then CPU, along with mobo if the chip doesn’t fit, then just top off the list. Thanks everyone. I do have one question though should I be worried about bottlenecking the CPU if I upgrade to a newer card?

On 12/1/2018 at 2:12 PM, Crich said:

My rig is as follows

Going for a cheap Xeon might be an option for you if you want to stay with this platform. Check the videos of this guy: https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=x58+upgrdes+tech+eys+scity&oq=x58+upgrdes+tech+eys+scity&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.7143j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you stay with this platform, you might also find cheap DDR3.

GPU upgrade is a must by the way.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

I would buy a used 1060, x5675, and at least 4 more gigs of ram, If you shop around it should cost you less then 200$ and get you at lease another year or 2 out of your rig.