Need Help Choosing Parts For PC Upgrade

Kingston

I need help deciding what parts to get for a pc upgrade

Current system:

Intel i5-4590 with hyper 212 Evo cooler

8gb ddr3 ram

rx 480 4gb

I was thinking about getting a Ryzen processor because they seem a lot cheaper for the performance they get, on eBay Ryzen 7 1700x's are 100$,but my friend is using a GTX 1070 that he said he would sell to me for only $200, if I buy the GPU how big of a bottleneck would my CPU be? and would it be worth it to buy a new motherboard and ram for the new processor? I can spend 250-400$ right now but I could wait a little longer and upgrade again if needed in the near future.

the cpu won't bottleneck the gpu most of the time in 1080p gaming. If you buy a new cpu, then you have to get a new motherboard and ram. Re-using an older intel motherboard doesn't fit a new ryzen cpu. save up like $500-600 to be safe for the rest of the parts.

welcome to the forum

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

would getting the cpu with the motherboard and ram be worth it though?

I'd pick up a i5-7400 (Non-K Chip) which will not bottleneck anything beyond a 1080 and it pretty cheap at $190 on ebay.

56 minutes ago, TheWiseGuy said:

I'd pick up a i5-7400 (Non-K Chip) which will not bottleneck anything beyond a 1080 and it pretty cheap at $190 on ebay.

An i5-7400 will not work in a 4th gen socket.

Although you could pick up a high end i7 4th gen on eBay for just about $150 that will fit in your current socket and use the same RAM. it also will not bottleneck a 1070.

Doing this personally I would see as a pretty decent cheaper system. I personally have been looking to do mostly exactly this on a current build of mine. I just hadn't had $150 for the CPU.

Honestly, I believe you could stick with your current i5 and just upgrade the GPU and have a good experience. That is if you want to save a bit more and upgrade the CPU down the line.

CPU - https://www.ebay.com/p/Intel-Quad-Core-I7-4770-3-40ghz-8mb-Processor-SR149-CPU/1209230508?iid=163295418143&chn=ps