Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Windows 7 on Ryzen USB Driver issues & upgrade to Windows 10?

Lord Letto

So I was able to finally able to get everything hooked up today for my upgrade to Ryzen & it turned on & was able to get into BIOS today & everything looked good so I moved on to installing a OS & decided to attempt installing my copy of Windows 7 Home Preimium w/SP1 64 Bit even though I know Ryzen don't offically support Windows 7 & to my surprise the install worked, no BSOD although I had to use a PS/2 Keyboard because USB wasn't working, after the install with my key used the USB ports still wasn't working though it worked in the BIOS so determined it's a driver issue, started installing some of the missing drivers but ran out of time at the place my computer is at so until I can get back at it on Tuesday I thought I'd ask around for some opinions & possible fixes.

I'm thinking as a last resort I'd try upgrading to Windows 10, any idea if it would pick up my Windows 7 key & convert it to a 10 key or would I be stuck with a unactivated 10 until I can afford a (legit) 10 key?

Ryzen 3 1200

ASRock AB350 Pro4

1x4GB Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 DDR4 (defaulted to 2133, set XMP profile 1 for 2400 14-16-16-31 1.2v & it worked, have not tried profile 2 yet though I plan to (2666 14'16-16-34 1.35v))

Seagate 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Install chipset drivers first. You should found them on manufacturer's website for win7. It's called all in one or similar on Asrock website in your motherboard support section.

On 12/1/2018 at 9:37 AM, Lord Letto said:

So I was able to finally able to get everything hooked up today for my upgrade to Ryzen & it turned on & was able to get into BIOS today & everything looked good so I moved on to installing a OS & decided to attempt installing my copy of Windows 7 Home Preimium w/SP1 64 Bit even though I know Ryzen don't offically support Windows 7 & to my surprise the install worked, no BSOD although I had to use a PS/2 Keyboard because USB wasn't working, after the install with my key used the USB ports still wasn't working though it worked in the BIOS so determined it's a driver issue, started installing some of the missing drivers but ran out of time at the place my computer is at so until I can get back at it on Tuesday I thought I'd ask around for some opinions & possible fixes.

I'm thinking as a last resort I'd try upgrading to Windows 10, any idea if it would pick up my Windows 7 key & convert it to a 10 key or would I be stuck with a unactivated 10 until I can afford a (legit) 10 key?

Ryzen 3 1200

ASRock AB350 Pro4

1x4GB Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 DDR4 (defaulted to 2133, set XMP profile 1 for 2400 14-16-16-31 1.2v & it worked, have not tried profile 2 yet though I plan to (2666 14'16-16-34 1.35v))

Seagate 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Installed Windows 10 first and then use your Windows 7 key.  IIRC, Windows 10 v1709 still accepts a Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 key for activation.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

On 11/30/2018 at 5:37 PM, Lord Letto said:

Ryzen officially supports Windows 7.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=490853

To get USB 3.0 working in Windows 7 you have to install the driver for it. You can do that with MSI Smart Tool to make a bootable USB stick to install Windows 7 from, or you can do it after you've installed Windows 7.

It's alive! When I was working on it Friday I didn't have the Driver DVD that came with the motherboard so when I went today I brought it with me & let it do its things and that was the ticket! Got it home now, all I have to do now is connect it to wi-fi to finish installing windows updates (and more games to test and play) & swap out my hot & loud Radeon HD 6970 for my quieter GTX 780.