What wifi card should i get? Pcie or usb

rnhbs

I just recently moved rooms and wont be able to use LAN anymore and kinda need help with picking what time of wifi card i should use and what speed.

Some cheap USB crap that work with ac network. In case you move room again and card becomes useless.

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

PCIe, whatever speed you need.

Is 300mbps good enough? i mean theyre cheap here in Australia

7 minutes ago, rnhbs said:

Is 300mbps good enough? i mean theyre cheap here in Australia

No, that 300Mbps, is theoretical (more like 30Mbps)... Try more like 1 to 2 Gbps

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

14 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

In case you move room again and card becomes useless.

?

if he moves rooms, the card still works

1 minute ago, Firewrath9 said:

?

if he moves rooms, the card still works

He previously uses cable connection. So who knows - maybe in his castle he has more rooms with cable connection available. :)

18 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

He previously uses cable connection. So who knows - maybe in his castle he has more rooms with cable connection available. :)

We are talking PCI express WiFi cards not wired Ethernet cards. He could move the PC and the card would still work. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

My friend bought Edimax AC600 and SpeedTest shows 250 Mbps (that was max speed available on that ISP). It costs about 13$.

Of course that PCIe version may be better, but USB version can be more flexible - he can move it to another computer, laptop etc.

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

We are talking PCI express WiFi cards not wired Ethernet cards. He could move the PC and the card would still work. 

No, we're talking about WiFi cards, not only PCIe WiFi cards. And OP says that he no longer can use LAN connection. So I suggested USB cheap wifi card because who knows - he can have LAN available soon again. That is only my point of view. I'm trying to have LAN connection whenever is it possible.

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

My friend bought Edimax AC600 and SpeedTest shows 250 Mbps (that was max speed available on that ISP). It costs about 13$.

Of course that PCIe version may be better, but USB version can be more flexible - he can move it to another computer, laptop etc.

No, we're talking about WiFi cards, not only PCIe WiFi cards. And OP says that he no longer can use LAN connection. So I suggested USB cheap wifi card because who knows - he can have LAN available soon again. That is only my point of view. I'm trying to have LAN connection whenever is it possible.

USB Networking devices tend to overheat especially if they are of the AC standard. The AC chipset runs hot, and USB sticks dont have the ability to dissipate the heat. So they overheat and become useless piles of shit. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.