Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cannot Boot a Clean Windows Install On CPU/MOBO/RAM Upgrade.

Rotharn

I upgraded my i-5 2500k/asus mobo/16gb ddr3 to a ryzen 5 2600x/MSI B450 gaming plus/corsair vengence 3200mhz 2x8gb.
Installing all the parts took 20min, everything was fine, bios booted no problem.

Following that, I spent 6 hours trying to get Windows to install and boot. The following are the levels of success I had with each variation.

Legit Windows 10 Education - installation immediately gives BSOD

Legit Windows 8.1 - installation immediately gives BSOD

Pirated Windows 10, installs, trying to boot the drive to continue setup immediately gives BSOD.

Pirated Windows 7, same as above.

Ubuntu 18.04, gives the keyboard = human screen, then black screens.

I've tried all the above variations with different ram positions and quantities. I've tried them all with Windows WHQL disabled and enabled in bios. Secure boot disabled.

Every time I get to try an install, I always delete all the partitions on the target drive and let the installer build new partitions from the blank drive.

I've tried launching the startup media again and running the repair tool, startup repair doesn't work, reset doesn't work.

When windows gives a BSOD and tries to self restart the computer, it won't even boot to bios, I have to force shutdown several times to get back to BIOS.

I've tried them from DVD and from UEFI USB. I have my ram at stock 2133 mhz the whole time. My display output is going through my GTX 1070, the motherboard DVI port doesn't work at all without an APU.

I'm installing to a 120gb Samsung EVO SSD, windows installs fine to this ssd with my old i5 setup.

Insanely, when I gave up and swapped everything back just so I could have a working computer again, the last windows 7 install I'd tried, booted and ran setup from that same samsung SSD with the intel parts back in.

I'm at my wit's end, I really just don't know what else I can do, and it doesn't seem like the cpu/mobo/ram are faulty as they boot into bios just fine.

Is there anything anyone else can think of that I can try to get Windows running? Baring that, is there any way that I can diagnose a problem with my CPU/MOBO/RAM?

It's a B450 with ryzen 2nd gen so I shouldn't have to update bios to install windows, right??

This is the first time I've ventured outside of intel+asus and if I can't get this figured out, I think I might just stick to them for the rest of my days out of sheer paranoia.

Ryzen likes fast ram, go to ur bios and try adjusting the timings according to the manufacturer's instructions and dial up the speed to 3200mhz and then try.

17 minutes ago, SidM said:

Ryzen likes fast ram, go to ur bios and try adjusting the timings according to the manufacturer's instructions and dial up the speed to 3200mhz and then try.

Forgot to mention that the first time I booted up my system, I set the timings and speed to the manufacturer advertised settings, 3200mhz, 16-18-18-36, 1.35V.

That's when I got my first error, went back to stock speeds to make it more stable for the OS installation.

I really just can't find any troubleshooting help online with this problem.

BIOS boots fine, can sometimes get an OS installed, but first boot setup always fails.

BSOD error support always suggests safe mode/legacy advanced boot which I can't do without getting through first run setup.

So I'm stuck in this peculiar hell where my BIOS is fine, but a clean OS install can't boot and often before that the windows install media will BSOD, and even an ubuntu ISO can't boot properly.

A PC purgatory between BIOS and OS, where all the troubleshooting advice I can find are only for not being able to boot into BIOS and not being able to boot previously properly working OS.

Can't even find anything to test whether my CPU, MOBO or RAM are faulty, since BIOS boots just fine.

sounds like your hard drive is the problem. do you have a different drive you can try?

2 minutes ago, MrNeelix said:

sounds like your hard drive is the problem. do you have a different drive you can try? 

Yea, tried a out of the box Adata SU650 on my last windows 7 install attempt, but it didn't recognize it.

Planning on trying it with a windows 10 install next time.

When I went back to my old hardware, the drive I was trying to use worked for a fresh OS install.

Won't have free time to work on this again until tomorrow, gathering a list of things to try for next time.

I once had an old build that did something simlar. I did manage to get windows installed. But i would have an issue where i would boot and it would post then crash. If i restarted it a few times eventually i would get in. My first instinct was bad Mobo. Wasn't the case, so i swapped the CPU and bam everything was good.

It could be you just have a faulty part. maybe the CPU.

4 minutes ago, Rotharn said:

Yea, tried a out of the box Adata SU650 on my last windows 7 install attempt, but it didn't recognize it.

Planning on trying it with a windows 10 install next time.

When I went back to my old hardware, the drive I was trying to use worked for a fresh OS install.

Won't have free time to work on this again until tomorrow, gathering a list of things to try for next time.

I would update the bios to latest version,
Then re-download the latest Windows 10 build and install that.

It's not a race to the bottom.

i doubt the a BIOS update is going to solve BSOD, on install. Especially when he is using a B450 Board with a 2nd gen Ryzen. It should not be required. If he was on a B350 Board i could see that being an issue. But then he shouldn't even post.