QBittorrent & VPN "No direct connections"

Go to solution Solved by desertcomputer,
8 hours ago, SuperShires said:

@EMC Okay so I managed to get torrents to download by enabling DHT and removing the SOCKS5 proxy server but keeping all the other Mullvads' guide settings the same.

These two (DHT enabled & SOCKS5 removed) have to be set and not one or the other, so removing SOCKS5 proxy but keeping DHT disabled doesn't work etc.

I don't know if these are important or crucial so I thought I'd ask you as you seem to know a lot about this sort of thing. Will I still be anonymous while torrenting? Thanks for the help by the way much appreciated. ?

Use this torrent tracker, it will show the IP you're torrenting. Just make sure IP is Mullvad servers and you should be ok. The setting should work with other client just location of these setting will be different.

https://ipleak.net/

Add the magent link to your torrent and check the tracker info or should show up in under torrent showing IP.

So I use a VPN and all was awesome torrenting anonymously but now all of a sudden torrents refuse to download and QBittorrent says that the connection status is "No direct connections" and all my torrents are stuck at 0%

Anyone know any fix? it used to work flawlessly using Mullvads' guide on how to set up with QBittorrent (https://mullvad.net/en/guides/bittorrent/)

It's not the end of the world it's just bugging me haha.

I have consider changing servers or try contacting mullvad support team? They might able to assist you better as technically it they network/service.

I personally I have experience any issues with my VPN setup. I presume you have tired a public torrent such as linux distro and you still having this issue?

Magical Pineapples

3 minutes ago, EMC said:

I have consider changing servers or try contacting mullvad support team? They might able to assist you better as technically it they network/service.

I personally I have experience any issues with my VPN setup. I presume you have tired a public torrent such as linux distro and you still having this issue?

Contact is through email and my VPN account expires in a few hours so I doubt if I emailed them it would be resolved before then.

I'll reset all the settings and try a Linux torrent.

10 minutes ago, EMC said:

I presume you have tired a public torrent such as linux distro and you still having this issue?

So I uninstalled and reinstalled QBittorrent and reset all the settings and disconnected Mullvad and the Linux torrent worked as usual so it must be the settings I used from the Mullvad guide and I have no idea how to fix it. ?

Just now, SuperShires said:

So I uninstalled and reinstalled QBittorrent and reset all the settings and disconnected Mullvad and the Linux torrent worked as usual so it must be the settings I used from the Mullvad guide and I have no idea what it could be ?

I don't really have time to read Mullvad guide, I presume you have get VPN working on that machine(OpenVPN) and torrent should work through it? Or does guide tell you to use a proxy?

I have my whole network over a 2 vpn providers depending on device machine, I can pick either all traffic route through a vpn provider or certain traffic. What is your qbitorrent setup like? Is it on a linux headless? Window client?

Magical Pineapples

4 minutes ago, EMC said:

I don't really have time to read Mullvad guide, I presume you have get VPN working on that machine(OpenVPN) and torrent should work through it? Or does guide tell you to use a proxy?

I have my whole network over a 2 vpn providers depending on device machine, I can pick either all traffic route through a vpn provider or certain traffic. What is your qbitorrent setup like? Is it on a linux headless? Window client?

It's cool mate, the guide is pretty straight forward, tells me to use a SOCKS5 proxy I believe but when it comes to networking and all that I go blank haha

I use Windows 10.

Mullvad.png

That's their setup instructions if this is any use to you.

Just now, SuperShires said:

It's cool mate, the guide is pretty straight forward, tells me to use a SOCKS5 proxy I believe but when it comes to networking and all that I go blank haha

I use Windows 10.

It would be easier to router all your computer traffic through openvpn client. I have consider looking at different torrent client? I currently using transmission, I am not sure if window client have proxy support as freebsd port doesn't have it.

Magical Pineapples

2 minutes ago, EMC said:

It would be easier to router all your computer traffic through openvpn client. I have consider looking at different torrent client? I currently using transmission, I am not sure if window client have proxy support as freebsd port doesn't have it.

I chose QBittorrent because Mullvad had a guide to it, I used to use a different client but I wouldn't know the first thing about setting up a different torrent client with the Mullvad VPN.

@EMC Okay so I managed to get torrents to download by enabling DHT and removing the SOCKS5 proxy server but keeping all the other Mullvads' guide settings the same.

These two (DHT enabled & SOCKS5 removed) have to be set and not one or the other, so removing SOCKS5 proxy but keeping DHT disabled doesn't work etc.

I don't know if these are important or crucial so I thought I'd ask you as you seem to know a lot about this sort of thing. Will I still be anonymous while torrenting? Thanks for the help by the way much appreciated. ?

8 hours ago, SuperShires said:

Use this torrent tracker, it will show the IP you're torrenting. Just make sure IP is Mullvad servers and you should be ok. The setting should work with other client just location of these setting will be different.

Add the magent link to your torrent and check the tracker info or should show up in under torrent showing IP.

Magical Pineapples

On 11/30/2018 at 11:34 PM, EMC said:

Awesome thanks! finally got around to testing it out and I'm anonymous while torrenting, I have no idea what DHT & SOCKS5 proxy does but apparently I don't need them. Cheers the help again ?