Major lag spikes ingame

Eskobyte

I have some decent specs (to me), 8gb of ddr3 ram, nvidia geforce gt 1030, a core 15-2400, an almost 800gb of hdd storage. After my rig being inactive for about 4 months, it had a hard drive error when i turned it on, fixed it via windows 10 troubleshooting and went onto my daily usage.A week or so later i noticed it started to have some horrible lag spikes in video games,i run a good 120+fps in cod bo2 with high settings (same with fortnite) and it drops to around 15 or 20fps for about a second or so and its very annoying. I've tried everything I know, any help?

Probably a dying hard drive then. This usually happens on slow drives but checks out with that context

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

have u tried running chkdsk on the drive? also go into the device manager, find your hard drive, right click and go to properties, go to policies tab, then make sure both options are checked. i dont wanna type their names im lazy.

and i'd hate to say it, but take windows 10 off of there and put 7 back on. your hardware and motherboard simply aren't ready for that operating system and it's a trash OS for gaming compared to windows 7 in general. i'm not trying to insult your hardware, but i've bounced back and forth between 7 and 10 and 7 considerably outperforms 10 in every aspect besides booting up. 

my specs

i5 4690k

gtx 980

8 gigs corsair dominator whatever

1 terabyte mushkin ssd

if 10 runs shittier on my computer vs 7 then i can only imagine how much your computer is suffering.

even if you don't switch to 7 i'd definitely recommend getting an ssd for main use and gaming. spinner drives died for gaming the year arkham knight was released as a brutal buggy mess. it really showed how spinner drives suffered in gaming, even after they "fixed" it.

14 hours ago, DukeJukem said:

have u tried running chkdsk on the drive? also go into the device manager, find your hard drive, right click and go to properties, go to policies tab, then make sure both options are checked. i dont wanna type their names im lazy.

and i'd hate to say it, but take windows 10 off of there and put 7 back on. your hardware and motherboard simply aren't ready for that operating system and it's a trash OS for gaming compared to windows 7 in general. i'm not trying to insult your hardware, but i've bounced back and forth between 7 and 10 and 7 considerably outperforms 10 in every aspect besides booting up. 

my specs

i5 4690k

gtx 980

8 gigs corsair dominator whatever

1 terabyte mushkin ssd

if 10 runs shittier on my computer vs 7 then i can only imagine how much your computer is suffering.

even if you don't switch to 7 i'd definitely recommend getting an ssd for main use and gaming. spinner drives died for gaming the year arkham knight was released as a brutal buggy mess. it really showed how spinner drives suffered in gaming, even after they "fixed" it.

Thanks for the info, will try later. I'll most likely get an ssd when i can get a job in a year or so. I ran malwarebytes to see if i had a virus of sorts (which i dont usually get since im cautious) and it removed a lot of gunk, after restarting windows ran pretty and cod seemed to run fine for a bit. Im unsure about it since it changes alot (one day runs great  the second runs like crap), though i do think its the hard drive. I think switching back to windows 7 will be my last resort, i have a spare key laying around.