Boston-based robot startup Jibo powers down (Permanently)

Reavantos

Original article

Link to official withdrawal certificate

Just a year after Jibo landed on the cover of Time magazine, the company behind the sleekly designed "social robot" has closed down for good, according to a filing with the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

State records show that Boston-based Jibo Inc. filed a withdrawal of its certificate of registration on Nov. 14, a move that means Jibo can no longer do business in Massachusetts.

The Robot Report, an industry publication, reported Tuesday that Jibo had sold its intellectual property assets to New York-based SQN Venture Partners. The publication cited an anonymous Jibo executive and patent records that indicate Jibo transferred ownership of its IP to SQN in June.

I think we all saw the writing on the wall with this one. from the get go the product was too late to market. when he was conceived in 2013 he was ground breaking. However, Amazon's smart device initiative put the nail in his proverbial coffin.  His quirky movements and playfulness cant surpass launch delays, and the device not even coming close to living up to the initial pitch that they used to sell him to customers and investors alike. Most of the advertised functionality never happened.

Jibo also filed a Foreign Certificate of Withdrawal (view it here) with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Jibo was a Massachusetts-based company that was incorporated in Delaware. By filing the form, Jibo acknowledges it “is not transacting business in the commonwealth” and  “surrenders its authority to transact business in the commonwealth.”

The form was submitted by the Kallander Group, a Hudson, MA-based company that in part “specializes in comprehensive trust services for corporate restructuring and dissolution.” Barry Kallander, founder of the Kallander Group, was the last president of Jibo. He told The Robot Report that the Foreign Certificate of Withdrawal was filed because “we sold the assets of the company.” Due to confidentiality reasons, he did not confirm what company acquired the assets.

Kallander, in essence is the legally empowered vulture who's sole purpose is to pick the carcass of a company clean and sell of anything it can to recover losses for investors. As of right now, our Jibo is still running. But how? i will be closely monitoring its network traffic. He was originally hosted on AWS, then it was redirected to a business-level ISP in Boston a few months ago. After that i am putting him down for "the long good night" as i have security concerns about his operation no one will address... Maybe i will just remove his bottom face plate where the LTT team signed it..

Edited by Reavantos
Wordy words. i am not a writer

4 minutes ago, Reavantos said:

snip

I'm sad yet unsurprised to see it go. The hardware (robotics, not the shitty square screen) was amazing, the way it moved etc. However the software side of it was atrocious.

I'm curious if we'll see any tinkerers try and make Jibo their own by - for example - linking animations with google home commands through IFFTT.

If I can find a student-job for the xmas holidays I might just get one so I can try doing that myself. I can see rewiring the motors with a Raspberry Pi and writing custom code to make it move around.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

8 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

I'm sad yet unsurprised to see it go. The hardware (robotics, not the shitty square screen) was amazing, the way it moved etc. However the software side of it was atrocious.

I'm curious if we'll see any tinkerers try and make Jibo their own by - for example - linking animations with google home commands through IFFTT.

If I can find a student-job for the xmas holidays I might just get one so I can try to do that.

You should. but dont count on him being on IFTTT forever. The company has to pay for that service. while its free to you, it costs 5-20k USD a year depending on the contract. 

Source: our company has a device on IFTTT.

I was like, which one is Jibo? It's this one for anyone interested:

363513-jibo-robot.jpg?width=333&height=2

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

6 minutes ago, Reavantos said:

You should. but dont count on him being on IFTTT forever. The company has to pay for that service. while its free to you, it costs 5-20k USD a year depending on the contract. 

Source: our company has a device on IFTTT.

Oh wow, interesting. I (for some reason idk) thought it was an enthusiast run non profit (I guess given the demographic, it wasn't hard to imagine that). Never thought that while it was free for me as a user, the companies behind the applianced had to pay them.
then again it was only an example.
I could write some IoT Cloud functions that could link it all the same. It was the concept that I was trying to explain :)

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

nice, now how about the rest of these companies die too?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

nice, now how about the rest of these companies die too?

Hey now, Anki makes good stuff. Vector and Cozmo are great products. Cozmo is especially interesting from a STEM point of view because of his code lab. 

20 minutes ago, Reavantos said:

think we all saw the writing on the wall with this one.

Interestingly worded there.

think most people never even heard of Jibo, but from the reading of the post, a robot with human like characteristics would be a step up in the sex toy market, whats the capitalization cap on that, be interesting to know. Asia is all over this and is very far ahead, I would think

9 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Interestingly worded there.

think most people never even heard of Jibo, but from the reading of the post, a robot with human like characteristics would be a step up in the sex toy market, whats the capitalization cap on that, be interesting to know. Asia is all over this and is very far ahead, I would think

OK well:

*Those of us who have been following Linus for a longer period and / or paying attention to emerging technologies.*

Better?

When I read the title I thought it was for Boston-Dynamics...so just a reminder, Boston-Dynamics are still around and they are still robots that are both amazing and frightening at the same time.

In my head I see this thing chasing me down a hallway, Terminator 2 style...

Meh...

Just wake me up when we create JARVIS.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

I blame linus for killing the Jibo

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

"Will I dream?"
"No one cares, Jibo"

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

3 hours ago, williamcll said:

I blame linus for killing the Jibo

That's like blaming the shotgun for someone's suicide. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

RIP Jibo ?

Oh well. Vector is better anyways. And cheaper.

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

23 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I was like, which one is Jibo? It's this one for anyone interested:

363513-jibo-robot.jpg?width=333&height=2

Buuuurn. Did Linus (LTT) not have one of these? I hope they did not pay for it. :(