Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best fan setups for these cases?

Waynelu127
 Share

I am currently looking for cases. Specifically https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5KMGB6?pf_rd_p=c2945051-950f-485c-b4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=7BGVWNCQG03YKHCX6073 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073D1XJ55/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1. However they both have a total of 6 availible positions to put the fans. I need two 120mm spots for my AIO cooler. My question is what would happen if I have 5 I takes and 1 exhaust?

 

could you guys also recommend some cases with great cable management, looks, and tons of fan space?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Waynelu127 said:

My question is what would happen if I have 5 I takes and 1 exhaust?

You would have a significant amount of "Positive pressure" meaning you're moving more air into your case (intake) than moving out of it (Exhaust). Usually it's goo to have "Slightly positive" Pressure, usually meaning one more intake fan than exhaust (2 intake, 1 Exhaust, or 3 intake, 2 exhaust, etc) This is usually done to help mitigate dust buildup, as it will force some air out of the air gaps in your case from side panels or rear ventilation grills in the PCI-E slots for example.

 

By having 5 intakes and 1 exhaust, you actually force a lot of the air to find ways out of the case, including pushing on the exhaust fan, and in some cases being forced back through the air blades due to the higher pressure in the case. In all honestly, any more than three fans (2 intake and 1 exhaust) has diminishing returns in temrs of actual performance gained by having more fans

 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

 RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You would have a significant amount of "Positive pressure" meaning you're moving more air into your case (intake) than moving out of it (Exhaust). Usually it's goo to have "Slightly positive" Pressure, usually meaning one more intake fan than exhaust (2 intake, 1 Exhaust, or 3 intake, 2 exhaust, etc) This is usually done to help mitigate dust buildup, as it will force some air out of the air gaps in your case from side panels or rear ventilation grills in the PCI-E slots for example.

 

By having 5 intakes and 1 exhaust, you actually force a lot of the air to find ways out of the case, including pushing on the exhaust fan, and in some cases being forced back through the air blades due to the higher pressure in the case. In all honestly, any more than three fans (2 intake and 1 exhaust) has diminishing returns in temrs of actual performance gained by having more fans

 

I understand what you are saying however I don’t want to mount my AIO cooler on top on the intake fans due to the LED lighting. Is there a way I can place all 6 fans within the case?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Waynelu127 said:

I understand what you are saying however I don’t want to mount my AIO cooler on top on the intake fans due to the LED lighting. Is there a way I can place all 6 fans within the case?

You can mount fans to either side of the radiator. This is known as Push/Pull (where the fans push air through the rad or pull air through the rad). You could technically mount the AIO to the existing fans (using longer Radiator screws) and mount the fans that come with the AIO to the other side (on the interior of the case) 

image.png.718ad9e8d929a94558a78616f437beb7.png

Side note @Corsair Nick Who's idea was it to put the GPU in the middle PCI-E 3.0x8 slot? I know it doesnt affect games since 3.0x8 is enough to saturate the GPU, but still it looks weird! You're Corsair, not TheVerge ?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

 RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You can mount fans to either side of the radiator. This is known as Push/Pull (where the fans push air through the rad or pull air through the rad). You could technically mount the AIO to the existing fans (using longer Radiator screws) and mount the fans that come with the AIO to the other side (on the interior of the case) 

image.png.718ad9e8d929a94558a78616f437beb7.png

Side note @Corsair Nick Who's idea was it to put the GPU in the middle PCI-E 3.0x8 slot? I know it doesnt affect games since 3.0x8 is enough to saturate the GPU, but still it looks weird! You're Corsair, not TheVerge ?

The build you have displayed has all the fans attached. A total of 6. Is there a way for me to do the same and still achieve positive pressure?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Waynelu127 said:

The build you have displayed has all the fans attached. A total of 6. Is there a way for me to do the same and still achieve positive pressure?

If you have 3 intake and 3 exhaust fans (assuming they're all the same fan) the best way to achieve positive airflow is to have the intake fans spin faster than the exhaust fans

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

 RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

If you have 3 intake and 3 exhaust fans (assuming they're all the same fan) the best way to achieve positive airflow is to have the intake fans spin faster than the exhaust fans

How much faster?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Waynelu127 said:

How much faster?

Doesnt have to be a whole lot. Maybe 10%. Even if the fans run at the same speed, its not a bad thing (known as neutral air pressure)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

 RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Doesnt have to be a whole lot. Maybe 10%. Even if the fans run at the same speed, its not a bad thing (known as neutral air pressure)

Oh I see, however would I be able to put one intake and exhaust right next to eachother on the top of the case? Also based on the two cases I attached whatbwiukd he better? Bottom or top intake. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Waynelu127 said:

Oh I see, however would I be able to put one intake and exhaust right next to eachother on the top of the case? Also based on the two cases I attached whatbwiukd he better? Bottom or top intake. 

You would be able to put fans next to eachother blowing different directions. It would have th obe physically pinted the opposite direction. Some fans have arrows on the sides of the outer housing showing which direction the airflow goes.

 

I would use the front 3 fans as intake and the rear fan and top fans as exhaust. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

 RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, TVwazhere said:

You would be able to put fans next to eachother blowing different directions. It would have th obe physically pinted the opposite direction. Some fans have arrows on the sides of the outer housing showing which direction the airflow goes.

 

I would use the front 3 fans as intake and the rear fan and top fans as exhaust. 

So 3 intake and 3 exhaust?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Waynelu127 said:

So 3 intake and 3 exhaust?

Yes

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

 RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2018 at 10:59 AM, TVwazhere said:

You can mount fans to either side of the radiator. This is known as Push/Pull (where the fans push air through the rad or pull air through the rad). You could technically mount the AIO to the existing fans (using longer Radiator screws) and mount the fans that come with the AIO to the other side (on the interior of the case) 

image.png.718ad9e8d929a94558a78616f437beb7.png

Side note @Corsair Nick Who's idea was it to put the GPU in the middle PCI-E 3.0x8 slot? I know it doesnt affect games since 3.0x8 is enough to saturate the GPU, but still it looks weird! You're Corsair, not TheVerge ?

Good catch, haha.  Probably done to show the MP500 NVME SSD, otherwise the card would be in the top slot.

Looking for more details about a product, or experiencing technical issues?  Visit our support page below, and one of our Technical Support staff can help you out:

https://support.corsair.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Corsair Nick said:

Good catch, haha.  Probably done to show the MP500 NVME SSD, otherwise the card would be in the top slot.

I totally missed that. It's in a weird spot, usually it's where the first PCI-E slot would be or like 5th down combined with a PCI-E x1 slot. I guess I dont look for M.2 SSD's anymore since most motherboards come with covers anyways (even though theyre technically bad for the memory controllers on those since they usually trap heat) That also makes sense as to why they chose (I think it's X299) motherboard for that quad channel Vengeance RGB RAM. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

 RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×