Primochill D5 Pump Not Running, Help

FUR1AN
Go to solution Solved by FUR1AN,

SOLVED: The two pins in the molex connector from the pump were reversed. I pulled them out and switched them, now it runs like a top. 

Hello all,

So I finally finished bending and setting up my first custom hard line loop. Everything is in order, but when I turn on the power supply to just power my perif connection to molex power on the pump, nothing happens. The PSU is spinning up and I have power to some LEDs that are on the same molex daisy chain.

I tried rocking the case back and forth to see if it was air locked or something. Tried unplugging and replugging to make sure molex connections were tight 

Not sure what to do now.. 

I appreciate any help.

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

You're not attempting to run a watercooling pump dry, right? You did fill it up before testing? 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

27 minutes ago, wpowell13 said:

Hello all,

So I finally finished bending and setting up my first custom hard line loop. Everything is in order, but when I turn on the power supply to just power my perif connection to molex power on the pump, nothing happens. The PSU is spinning up and I have power to some LEDs that are on the same molex daisy chain.

I tried rocking the case back and forth to see if it was air locked or something. Tried unplugging and replugging to make sure molex connections were tight 

Not sure what to do now.. 

I appreciate any help.

Ive seen a few primochill d5s that were assembled too hard and one of the cables are pinched. I think you need to dissassemble thr d5 housing and put it together a bit looser. Ill find the threads later.q

34 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

You're not attempting to run a watercooling pump dry, right? You did fill it up before testing? 

Yes, I filled the res about 3/4 of the way (200ml) res. But when I flip the switch I don't hear the pump doing anything at all. For reference it was quiet enough at the time that I could hear the gyroscopes in my camera spinning. So I would have heard the pump had it turned on.

18 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Ive seen a few primochill d5s that were assembled too hard and one of the cables are pinched. I think you need to dissassemble thr d5 housing and put it together a bit looser. Ill find the threads later.q

Oh interesting. I had not considered that. I did see in a different thread that someone had said the wires are sometimes not in the correct orientation. I checked mine, and it is black on the edge, red in the right-middle

"Posted September 10, 2017 · Original Poster

On 9/10/2017 at 1:17 PM, For Science! said:

Do you happen to have the sleeved variant? either way, can you just confirm which colors red/black are in the edge and central position. I recently saw a case where the wiring was not correct on the pump.

The red wire is on the edge and the black one is in the center right next to the red."

So I am wondering if mine are reversed and that is why it isn't working? If that is the case, I have never pulled individual wires out of a connector before so not really sure how to go about that.

UPDATE:

I took apart the pump housing and it looked as if a couple wires were pretty tight, so I loosened them. But nothing changed. I really don’t understand what could be the issue...

SOS! 

SOLVED: The two pins in the molex connector from the pump were reversed. I pulled them out and switched them, now it runs like a top. 

4 minutes ago, wpowell13 said:

Thats great!. Silly custom cabling from primochill I guess. They really should get on top of the QC.

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

Thats great!. Silly custom cabling from primochill I guess. They really should get on top of the QC.

Yah I’m glad I went searching around, I actually found another thread on here where, coincidentally, you had suggested that someone check the orientation of their wires. So I did and decided to swap them around and give it a try. Low and behold it worked!