Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rx 580 4gb or Rx 570 8 gb

Merbz

Hi, i was wondering if it is a better idea to go for an Rx 580 that has 4 gb or instead a Rx 570 that has 8 gb. I saw one of LInus' video where he said that not having enough Vram can make the games unplayable and that's probably the only reason why I'm still hesitant. I know that currently the 580 will give me better performance but I'm thinking a bit further and wondering if 4 gb will be enough in a few years and if the 570 will not be better in the future just because it has 2 times more ram.

So what is your suggestion ? Better GPU with less Vram of slightly worse GPU that has more Vram ?

Are those your only 2 options? If you live in the US, an 8GB 580 is only about $10 more than a 4GB.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

I live in Canada and currently there is a nice deal on the 580 4gb and the price dropped even bellow the 570's price. I want to build my first PC and don't have a big budget so I want to spend arround 250$ (canadian) on my GPU.

Would be nice if someone could enlighten me the deal will come to an end really soon !!!

Well, it's a bit tricky because plenty of games use over 4GB of VRAM these days, however some say a RX 570 isn't graphically powerful enough to utilize 8GB of VRAM but I do not know if that would hold true for all games or not.   I do not have a RX 570 so cannot comment directly on that.    I do have a RX 590 here and playing Black OPS 4 I'm usually sitting at 6.7GB of VRAM used.   So the 4GB is going to hold back the 580 a bit but is more powerful.  

Ryzen 2600 - Sapphire Pulse Vega 56 - Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - Corsair Force MP500 NVMe PCIe M.2 240GB - 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB - 

AsRock B450 PRO4 - Deepcool Earlkase Case -  Seasonic Foucus+ 650

You should be able to buy an RX580 8G new, within your budget.  Currently there are 6 different RX580 8G on Newegg under $200 USD.  Not sure if their pricing is the same up in Canada, but with the conversion rate, that's pretty close to being in your budget.  

Since it's your first build, post your pcpartpicker list and have some people double check it for you.  A balanced build is important to the overall performance of your system, and a lot of times first time builders will over spend in certain spots and under spend in others. 

If the above mentioned cards are out of your price range, given that an RX580 is essentially a boosted RX480, you could probably overclock the 480 8G to a core speed relatively close to an RX580.  Also, the cooling solution matters.  If the 580 is a blower style, or founders edition card.  (the ones with a black shroud over it and one little red fan) and the 480 is the style with two bigger fans on it, then I'd go with the 480 for sure.