Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thermodynamics of Computers: Energy Analysis?

TTesla

So I recall in a mid level electrical engineering course the professor said something along the lines of this:

All the energy that goes into the computer for processing, is converted into heat. This is excluding any lights, sounds, fans or moving parts, just the actual circuitry.

So if this is true, does that mean this process is simply increasing entropy?

Also, why then don't people use computers as a heater of sorts?

A bit random I know, but I was just thinking about it and curious, I certainly don't claim to know this topic very well.

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

I can vouch for the space heater. Even idling around 200W from the wall my room is averagely warmer than the rest of the house with no other source of heat. Nice and cozy during the winter months.

1 minute ago, James Evens said:

Get your self the atkins, wedler or moore hummel and read about entropy.

I don't even understand what you're saying...

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

20 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

I don't even understand what you're saying...

Download one of those books from your uni website and read it.

The part of the book you are interested in is thermodynamic. Particular statistical thermodynamics.

17 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

So I recall in a mid level electrical engineering course the professor said something along the lines of this:

All the energy that goes into the computer for processing, is converted into heat. This is excluding any lights, sounds, fans or moving parts, just the actual circuitry.

A bit random I know, but I was just thinking about it and curious, I certainly don't claim to know this topic very well.

Pretty much yeah. The actual precession uses tiny amounts of energy. It's the resistance of the wires and transistors and other things that convert the energy to heat. It's a limitation of the technology and its being improved all time. 

The reason for not using them as heaters is you can buy a fan heater for $10 or CPU, RAM, mobo etc for much more. Then you have to set it up. Or just plug a heater in turn it on.

As for using older CPUs it will all be more expensive and the performance won't be worth it. 

48 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

That is correct. A computer using 300 W is effectively the same as a 300 W space heater, with the added bonus of processing information. You could use this as a space heater, I think it just doesn't occur to most people, or it might just be too much trouble to set up, since you have to come up with something for the computer to process, and it feels like a waste unless you're doing something useful. Folding or mining are good ways of doing this though. But even if you use it as a space heater, if you want actual heat it's often still more efficient (in terms of dollars) to use the central heat in your home, depending on the prices of electricity vs gas or whatever, things like that. But I think mostly it's just not an idea people consider, since it's not a well-known or discussed "method" of heating. But I use it to heat my room at least :)

41 minutes ago, r4tch3t said:

actual precession uses tiny amounts of energy.

"In physics, the law of conservation of energy states that the total energy of an isolated system remains constant, it is said to be conserved over time"

So, where does this tiny amount of energy go? Information is not energy. You can't turn information into energy, nor the other way around. 

Edited by seon123
Something something

:)

Pretty much. The actual movement of the electrons uses a tiny amount of energy, but otherwise most of the energy is converted to heat. And many of us do actually use our computers as heaters, just check out the mining and folding subforum.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 85    Score: 1,206,444,324    Stats

My main Rig (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (Kernel 5.10.7 VFIO) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.