Motherboard only has 1 4 pin fan connector.

boey

Hi all, I’m currently using a ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe and I want to upgrade the cooler(I got it from a friend and this was built 3 years ago, apparently he needed duct tape to seal the tubing of his AIO and that unnerves me. I was thinking of getting the ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L, but I saw that my motherboard only had 1 4 pin connector and the AIO needed 2. Would there be any heating issue if I plugged in one 4 pin connector to a 3 pin connector, since I can’t control the fan anymore? 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Hi all, I’m currently using a ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe and I want to upgrade the cooler(I got it from a friend and this was built 3 years ago, apparently he needed duct tape to seal the tubing of his AIO and that unnerves me. I was thinking of getting the ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L, but I saw that my motherboard only had 1 4 pin connector and the AIO needed 2. Would there be any heating issue if I plugged in one 4 pin connector to a 3 pin connector, since I can’t control the fan anymore? 

The asus website says it has 2 4 pin fan connectors. 

Besides, you can still control fans on 3 pin connectors. 

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/P8Z77I_DELUXE/specifications/

EDIT: Yeah, 2 4 pin connectors, literally right beside each other.

OcZ466xKvSUYrQEk_1000.jpg

9 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

The asus website says it has 2 4 pin fan connectors. 

Besides, you can still control fans on 3 pin connectors. 

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/P8Z77I_DELUXE/specifications/

EDIT: Yeah, 2 4 pin connectors, literally right beside each other.

OcZ466xKvSUYrQEk_1000.jpg

I must be blind, I don’t see it. But I’ll go ahead and buy the cooler anyway. Thanks

4 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

I must be blind, I don’t see it. But I’ll go ahead and buy the cooler anyway. Thanks

Untitled.png

I made it a bit more obvious. ;););) (In jest, of course.) 

But yes, fan splitters do exist and do work quite well. 

EDIT: But you may want to look into if those headers can actually provide enough power for a pump. If it were me, I'd probably plug the pump into the CPU fan header (usually has higher wattage) and the rad fans into the "chassis fan" header. It may give you a CPU fan error on startup, but that can be disabled in the bios.